What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Spas and Radios  (Read 5738 times)

sorebikr

Spas and Radios
« on: December 10, 2012, 06:35:57 pm »
Hi everyone -

I knew this was a risky move when we purchased the tub, but we upgraded to the floor model with a radio.  Now about a year and a half later, its dead.  I was just curious if anyone has experience with this particular radio before I start pulling things out.  I'm hopeful its just a blown fuse, but who knows.  This is the piece in question:

http://www.aquaticav.com/download_file/60/130/
AQ-CD-3 sold in a 2010 Sundance 880 series.

Thanks

Hot Tub Forum

Spas and Radios
« on: December 10, 2012, 06:35:57 pm »

Kmill

Re: Spas and Radios
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 11:55:13 am »
Check the power supply/inverter box first to make sure its putting out voltage to the radio. There should be a couple inline fuses on the harness to check too.

bothfly

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 05:38:49 pm »
I just got a floor model Optima with this radio, or the one with the iPod, pretty much the same thing.
After they set it up in the backyard the radio was dead.
The next day the tech came out and said it was a bad power source and replaced it. So that or a blown fuse could be the choices.

sorebikr

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 07:26:06 pm »
Maybe next weekend I'll tackle this.  I figured it was one of those two based on the symptoms when it died.  Problem is, I need to remove 1/2 my cover lifter bracket to get the panel off which is making this annoying enough that I just don't want to start the troubleshooting.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 11:51:56 pm »
Stereo decks + spas = bad idea

220, 221, whatever it takes!

sorebikr

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 10:02:10 am »

Yeah...but the speakers and sub woofer are really nice.  We've gotten a lot of use out of it.  I'm wondering if the wear and tear comes more from the temp swings and vibration rather than water penetration.

tomsem

• 2010 Caldera Niagra
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 10:44:29 pm »

I was afraid of getting the "in spa" stereo too but wanted music so I  opted for only the speakers being outside.  Everything else is inside and so far no problems.  That is another route to go.

sorebikr

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 11:11:51 am »
Good news - it was just a slightly corroded fuse.  Scratching my head on why there was any corrosion.  Maybe a manufacturing glitch?  I was really impressed with the entire setup.  All wires were capped and each possible gap was sealed well.  Scraped off the corrosion with my fingernail, popped it back in and I'm up and running again. 

tomsem

• 2010 Caldera Niagra
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2012, 08:25:29 pm »
Good to hear you fixed it.  Corrosion is puzzling....you wouldn't think there would be much moisture in the cabinet.  I have heard of some dissimilar metals corroding when mixed but I am sure that isn't the case here.

sorebikr

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2012, 09:13:30 am »
Good to hear you fixed it.  Corrosion is puzzling....you wouldn't think there would be much moisture in the cabinet.  I have heard of some dissimilar metals corroding when mixed but I am sure that isn't the case here.

Based on what I saw in there, there's no chance this was corrosion caused by moisture.  The radio harness was top notch.  It had to be a manufacturing defect that led to some galvanic corrosion.  It was only on 1/2 of the U-shaped fuse. 

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2012, 09:13:30 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42