What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot Tub Cover Water Logged  (Read 4028 times)

x96mnn

Hot Tub Cover Water Logged
« on: September 12, 2012, 07:53:21 am »
Not sure if this is normal but I do not recall it being there before. After my tub sitting idle for a week I opened my tub to shock it and noticed the cover was heavier then normal. I can see under teh cover on the water side there is a fair amount of water that has collected inside the cover. When I put the cover back it drains out but I thought I had read some where that this is not a good thing. Can cause a Mold issue maybe?

Hot Tub Forum

Hot Tub Cover Water Logged
« on: September 12, 2012, 07:53:21 am »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: Hot Tub Cover Water Logged
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 09:37:50 am »
The water may drain off, but not all of it will and most likely it will get worse. If you have a cover lifter, take care that you don't let all that weight slam onto it or you might damage it.   
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

HotTubWorkscom

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 05:52:53 pm »
That can be common to some cover designs. There should be drain grommets on the bottom side of the cover (facing the water), check to see if they are blocked which can cause the water to pool like you described.   If you remove the cover from the spa for 30 minutes the water trapped should mostly drain (if the water is in the foam, it wont drain, time to replace).

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 12:09:13 am »
Is the underside of your cover mesh (I don't know how you'd be able to see the water in the cover if the underside was of a higher quality solid material), and you can see water under the polyethylene next to the foam cores? And then it's draining out? If this is the case, the polyethylene vapor barrier sealing the foam has been compromised....or, the cover is simply such a low quality that the polyethylene was never properly sealed to begin with.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 12:09:13 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42