What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Time to get a spa - Used Marquis Epic?  (Read 11184 times)

bwperez

Time to get a spa - Used Marquis Epic?
« on: August 21, 2012, 08:56:08 pm »
I'm looking for some advice.  After getting rid of my HotSprings Jetsetter 5 years ago because of a cracked shell, I've finally decided to get a new spa.  This all started out with me considering a Costco spa at around $5k but after reading negative reviews online I've decided against that.  I had no intention of spending 9-12k on a spa but that seems to be the price for all the ones that appeal to me. 

Here are some of my thoughts:

1 - I prefer open seating (I did like the lounge on the Jetsetter)
2 - Soaking is more important than therapy (maybe because I've never used a great therapy spa.)
3 - Energy efficiency is important.
4 - I'm generally the only one that uses it.  The wife isn't a big fan and the kids are still too young.
5 - I currently have 110 to the spa location but that can easily be changed.

I seem to be leaning towards HotSprings (Sovereign , Envoy), Jacuzzi (j335) and Marquis (Epic, Reward) brands but would consider others of comparable quality.  Does anybody have experience with Central Fl dealers?

I did find a local used 2009 Marquis Epic that I plan on looking at tomorrow afternoon.  It is priced at $5000 which seems reasonable and it puts me back at the price I was originally considering.

I'd love input to help me make a decision.

Brian

Hot Tub Forum

Time to get a spa - Used Marquis Epic?
« on: August 21, 2012, 08:56:08 pm »

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
Re: Time to get a spa - Used Marquis Epic?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 10:47:47 pm »
Brian, I have a 2008, Epic and still love it. It is very easy to care for especially with the Frog Bromine system. I am so afraid to say this....I have had NO issues at all with it. Although it was a replacement for my 2005 Epic that had shell crazing. I was impressed that Marquis replaced my tub and the warranty continued to this tub.  Marquis used to have a transferable warranty..so you may want to check if that is still the case.

So based on my personal experience with the Epic and Marquis, I would say if it is in good condition and you think it will be the configuration you like,  go for it.. That tub has amazing therapy jets and very comfortable seating. The deep footwell is a bonus, as far as I am concerned, because I like to exercise and stretch in the tub.
I also think that the Epic is relatively economical because it allows you to run in economy mode..and to custom set the filtration cycles (perhaps all tubs do that now) but I have successfully kept my tub in economy mode with no water issues or even heat issues in the winter.

Hope this helps..oh and the price, I think is probably good. In 2005, my Epic was over $10,000.00.  I am sure the new ones are much more.  Good luck :)
Support your dealer so they can support you!

bwperez

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 08:08:59 am »
I just checked and Marquis still allow for transfer of warranty.  Thank you for mentioning it!  That puts most big ticket components under warranty for another 2 years.  Assuming the spa looks as good in person as it does in pictures I may just wrap up my shopping very early.

Do you know where I can find the manufacturer date on the Epic? 

Sovereign

bwperez

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 07:17:01 pm »
Well, I checked out the spa today and it appears to be in good shape.  It also comes with a cover lift and radio which i wasn't expecting.  The water wasn't hot (IN ECONOMY MODE)  so im going to go back tomorrow and check i t again. Now for the funny part. The spa was a replacement for a 2005 model that had the same crazing issue mentioned above

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 07:30:07 pm »
Well, I checked out the spa today and it appears to be in good shape.  It also comes with a cover lift and radio which i wasn't expecting.  The water wasn't hot (IN ECONOMY MODE)  so im going to go back tomorrow and check i t again. Now for the funny part. The spa was a replacement for a 2005 model that had the same crazing issue mentioned above

Even in Economy mode it should be pretty warm which I assume was the case. You'll want to be sure it makes it to ultimate temp when you stop next time. I wouldn't worry too much about the crazing issue they had affecting this one too, its really just cosmetic anyway and its used so you don’t expect perfection. Marquis makes a pretty good spa and buying used can be a good deal if its in good shape though I'd certainly want to try to get it for less than 5k, obviously used spas are very negotiable. I know Marquis no longer transfers warranties but maybe that one was before that policy change. Good luck.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 08:39:55 pm »
So in Economy mode, you can have the temperature anywhere you want. It might be cool because it is so hot outside that they wouldnt soak at 101.. or possibly because the owners aren't using it and they want to save on chemicals. I did that for most of the summer. 

I'm confused that the tub has a radio..is it the sound system that allows you to hook up your ipod or in home sound system? If so, that means it also has nice speakers too. I know I paid a lot more for that when I got my tub, so that would be a real bonus.  The tub is only 3 years old complete with the cover and lifter and if the owner extended that warranty to the replacement tub..I would say that is a great price. When my tub was replaced, I opted not to extend that warranty because I just didn't have the extra cash at the time.  Knowing what I do about my Epic, I would buy that tub in a heartbeat!  Actually I wish it was close to me as I have a neighbor that won't quit bugging me to sell him my tub.. >:(

bwperez

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 09:16:54 pm »
Here are the things I noted when checking the spa out.

1 - The spa is out in the open so there was some discoloration on the spa cover but it didn't show any cracking, stiffness or signs of water getting into it.
2 - The spa was not hot but they are warming it up for me to check again tomorrow.  When I looked at the temp on the LCD display it was 91deg.  The seller was very friendly and offered to let me come try it out another evening after it had warmed up.
3 - I tested the different jets and all controls seemed to work well.  I believe when I turned on the neck jets a little junk was spit into into the spa (signs of stagnant water?) 
4 - I didn't look at the radio close enough but I didn't see any ipod connector.  It appeared to be a simple radio (Adagio label) with the speakers built into the cabinet (not ones that pop-up.)
5 - They had recently purchased a floating replacement remote control and had the Spa Monitor In-house Remote but it had never been hocked up.
6 - The spa was manufactured 4/2/2009
7 - a cover lifter is included.

It does look like the 2009 model warranty isn't transferable while the sellers original 2005 that Marquis replaced was.  The end result is it wouldn't be under warranty anyway due to age or non-transferable warranty.

The sellers did mention that they wouldn't have gotten the 2009 replacement except for an online post from a woman telling them to check for crazing.  I wonder if that was you, Bonibelle?

The seller is firm on their price.  I am leaning towards purchasing but Spatech_tuo's comment about wanting to get it for less than $5k made me pause.  I've searched all over the web to find sales to compare pricing but that isn't exactly easy.  Most posts are years old, for different model years and different ages of the spas.

I'm going to spend time tomorrow getting pricing on converting my 110 line to 220.  I have the name of the dealer that sold the spa originally and will give them a call to get prices on moving it.  Maybe I can put that all together and come to a final decision soon.

Brian

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 11:03:34 pm »
It's possible that I did tell people to look for the crazing in the shell. I believe someone on here that had a Marquis Reward told me to watch for it because we had the same color spa shell. I think the problem that Marquis had was isolated to that one color of shell (desert horizion)..In any case they made good on it and I was very impressed.   I don't know much about pricing I guess I am just saying when you look at what you could get for $5000.00, there is not much (if anything) that could compare to that tub.  Maybe when you go back, take them up on a trial and see how nice the jets are and try the air.  That will let you know if you are justified in spending the money. And give that sound system a second look because it is not what I have, I believe it is much better. I'm going to try to find out what exactly it is though..
I love the spa monitor because you can not only monitor the spa from inside of your house, you can also control it and change the temperature..a great feature if it's 20 degrees out and you left the tub at 90!! it will also alert you if there is a problem with the tub.  You mentioned another plus and that is  the dealer is still around.  He could easily hook everything up..and the remote is also a bonus ..I miss mine and never replaced it when it went bad :( so looking at all of that..Spatech..??? I think that's a good deal.. ;)

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 11:21:11 pm »
It is not just a tub that runs..it is a tub with all the bells and whistles that runs..lol

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 10:53:09 am »

The seller is firm on their price.  I am leaning towards purchasing but Spatech_tuo's comment about wanting to get it for less than $5k made me pause.  I've searched all over the web to find sales to compare pricing but that isn't exactly easy.  Most posts are years old, for different model years and different ages of the spas.

I'm going to spend time tomorrow getting pricing on converting my 110 line to 220.  I have the name of the dealer that sold the spa originally and will give them a call to get prices on moving it.  Maybe I can put that all together and come to a final decision soon.

Brian

I don't think $5k is necessarily a bad price but I wouldn't say its a steal either and its largely about condition anyway. I just know that I'd negotiate even if they said they were "firm" and I'd offer maybe $4300 and leave them my card if they said "no thanks" (and wouldn't counter) and I'd wait to see if they budged cause I don't think people will be beating a path to their door. But thats just me, so please don't think I'm saying you're crazy to pay $5k. You're also going to pay to move it so you have to factor that in versus a new one but for the right price this sounds like a very viable option. Also, with a 3 year old+ spa I would expect the cover to be weathered but as long as its not heavy then its just a cosmetic issue.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 12:18:38 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

vangoghsear

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2012, 12:43:24 pm »
Just as a suggestion, my Bullfrog 151R was under $5000.00 with Ozone, Cover w/lifter, and installation and it was brand new (we got a few hundred additional knocked off because it was a showroom model, but the base cost was still below $5000.00).

The style is a 6' round, open seating, full foam insulation, sort of redwood hot tub style model that seats four comfortably and can seat five, if they don't mind getting close.   ;)

They recently won the IDEA design award for the 151R model and the Bullfrog company was given the Reader's Choice top award this year for portable Spas, so it's probably better quality than the Costco model.

It doesn't have the bells and whistles of the Marquis, but it would be new with a decent warranty and in your budget.

Personally, I like the round style and seating plan.  We have had friends over a few times and it works out quite nice for just sitting soaking and talking and I use it myself most of the time and find the layout quite relaxing for my 6'-2" body.

I'm sure it's not the quality of the Marquis considering the cost comparison of the two when new (over $10,000 vs under $5000).  Just giving you another thought to consider.  :o

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2012, 12:43:24 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42