What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Jacuzzi 470 (400 series) reference  (Read 6798 times)

planetary

Jacuzzi 470 (400 series) reference
« on: September 19, 2012, 09:53:29 pm »
Hi folks,

Now that I've got my 470 installed, I thought I'd try to give back a little (a very little, at first) to our little community.

To aid anyone in the future with research, I've collected a few odds and ends related to the Jacuzzi J-470 into a Google doc.  (In internet terms, one might call this a "crowdsourced" reference, or something.)  Almost all of this stuff is applicable to the 480, and a fair bit is applicable to the 495 and other tubs in the 400 series.

BTW, for those looking for the 50 amp to 60 amp procedure, it's described in here.

I'll be adding to it over time, as I learn more.  Hope it's useful!

Cheers,
Jason

Hot Tub Forum

Jacuzzi 470 (400 series) reference
« on: September 19, 2012, 09:53:29 pm »

smackman

Re: Jacuzzi 470 (400 series) reference
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 08:35:33 am »
A jacuzzi Hot tub comes set up with a 50 Amp circuit. The move to the 60 amp service IMO was not needed. The 60 amp service allows the heater to remain on while both blowers are running and setting above set point.

The 50 Amp service only allows one blower to run and the heater to stay on.

I had mine wired for the factory recommended  50 amp service. I have had ZERO issues with temp. control and it states in the manual that a 50 amp service is adequate unless the jumper is moved to the 60 amp service.

I have never had heating issues. I actually run my Hot Tub up to temperature and lower the setpoint when we get in. The blowers will induce heat into system.

planetary

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 11:28:39 am »
Thanks, smackman.  I've updated the Q&A section a bit.  There's a thread of at least one owner who reports 3-5 degrees F loss during a 30 minute soak (though the conditions for that user were unclear).  Is that acceptable?  I don't know.  That's subjective.  :)

Given the pretty small cost differential between 50a and 60a service, I think most new tub owners would opt for 60, and just not have to worry about temperate issues -- if their homes can support the electrical load.

Also, 50a isn't, to my knowledge, "recommended" over the other options by Jacuzzi -- it's just the factory default.  In the 2012 pre-delivery guide, page 14, Jacuzzi highlights that is a choice, and gives you 3 options to choose from.

planetary

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 11:56:13 am »
I've also updated the Q&A section on filtration (referencing a thread that smackman created earlier this year).  It's far from comprehensive, but it's a start...

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 11:58:54 am »
Thanks, smackman.  I've updated the Q&A section a bit.  There's a thread of at least one owner who reports 3-5 degrees F loss during a 30 minute soak (though the conditions for that user were unclear).  Is that acceptable?  I don't know.  That's subjective.  :)

Given the pretty small cost differential between 50a and 60a service, I think most new tub owners would opt for 60, and just not have to worry about temperate issues -- if their homes can support the electrical load.

Also, 50a isn't, to my knowledge, "recommended" over the other options by Jacuzzi -- it's just the factory default.  In the 2012 pre-delivery guide, page 14, Jacuzzi highlights that is a choice, and gives you 3 options to choose from.

when I've soaked in the tub when it was 15F or below I've seen that kind of temp drop.  So far in 10 years I've only soaked before 0F once.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

smackman

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 12:29:11 pm »
When we soak in the winter time, The temperature is seldom below 32 degrees at night in North Louisiana; I have minimal if any temperature loss.

Also the installation of a 50 amp system was much less than a 60 amp.

It probably depends on where you live, But below the Mason Dixon line, 50 amp default works with minimal temperature issues. I have owned a 2010 J-465 Jacuzzi for over 2 years. My only significant issue was a bad flow switch and a bad dealer. :o

planetary

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 07:38:47 pm »
When we soak in the winter time, The temperature is seldom below 32 degrees at night in North Louisiana; I have minimal if any temperature loss.

Also the installation of a 50 amp system was much less than a 60 amp.

It probably depends on where you live, But below the Mason Dixon line, 50 amp default works with minimal temperature issues. I have owned a 2010 J-465 Jacuzzi for over 2 years. My only significant issue was a bad flow switch and a bad dealer. :o

Thanks for the feedback.  Are you sure about the price differential between 50a and 60a service?  Maybe it was just the companies I got quotes from, or my particular area (San Jose, California) but the price difference was under $100, and only pertained to the parts.

I agree that 60a may be of limited value in warmer climates.  OTOH, for those of us who are paying this much for spas... what's an extra $100 to just make any potential temperature drift problems go away?  That was my logic, anyway.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 07:41:04 pm by planetary »

hudler

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, 04:15:44 pm »
I would like to recommend the 60a service. When I installed the J470 I put in the 60a service and switched the J 1000 control to use the 60a power. I recently replaced the top control panel and the tech did not switch the panel over to the 60a setting. We easily lost two degrees with both pumps running over about an hour with the outdoor temp at 45 degrees F. I am in Canada on the prairies so it will get much colder over the next month or so....60a ALL THE WAY!!!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, 04:15:44 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42