What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: I'm ready to buy, just a couple details to go over  (Read 9445 times)

cmerks4

I'm ready to buy, just a couple details to go over
« on: August 11, 2012, 10:05:05 pm »
First I would like to say what an informative forum this is and would like to thank all that have responded to my posts.  We went to visit 3 dealers today, all which just happen to be blocks away from each other. I did tell each dealer the truth, I have been researching online, this is my first time in stores, I am going to buy very soon, and I will be visiting the other stores. 

I think I'm ready to buy, and want to check here one more time. 

First I went to a Sundance dealer and asked about the Cameo, they gave me their "very special " price of $10,600, this included delivery, cover system, steps, and starter chem pack. I thought this was a high price and really didn't care for the dealer.

Next was Caldera, started with the Martinique, complete package $7500, Tahitian $9700. We liked the Tahitian better, so that would be our choice for Caldera.

Last up was Hot Springs, we went in looking for the Flair, they didn't have one we could see. But once we saw the difference between the Limelight and the Highlife Collection it seemed to us that the Highlife was a much better spa. All of the spas we looked at had loungers, this dealer claimed that most first time buyers, like us, buy loungers. Second time buyers don't opt for them. So we looked at the Vanguard and liked it, complete package $9300.

Whew! So here's the questions: is the Moto massage a good system or would fixed jets be better?
Are Hot Springs more energy efficient like the dealer says?
Hot Spring is moulded in ABS, is that a good thing or bad thing? It comes with ceramic filters, claimed to be good for 4 years, good filters? Better off with paper?  EverFresh 3 system with silver ions good? Just pour a little chlorine in at start up, add anti algaecide once a month? Seems to easy! And one last thing and I know it's a what you want thing, lounger or not?   

Hot Tub Forum

I'm ready to buy, just a couple details to go over
« on: August 11, 2012, 10:05:05 pm »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: I'm ready to buy, just a couple details to go over
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 10:36:32 pm »
First I would like to say what an informative forum this is and would like to thank all that have responded to my posts.  We went to visit 3 dealers today, all which just happen to be blocks away from each other. I did tell each dealer the truth, I have been researching online, this is my first time in stores, I am going to buy very soon, and I will be visiting the other stores.

I think I'm ready to buy, and want to check here one more time.

First I went to a Sundance dealer and asked about the Cameo, they gave me their "very special " price of $10,600, this included delivery, cover system, steps, and starter chem pack. I thought this was a high price and really didn't care for the dealer.

Next was Caldera, started with the Martinique, complete package $7500, Tahitian $9700. We liked the Tahitian better, so that would be our choice for Caldera.

Last up was Hot Springs, we went in looking for the Flair, they didn't have one we could see. But once we saw the difference between the Limelight and the Highlife Collection it seemed to us that the Highlife was a much better spa. All of the spas we looked at had loungers, this dealer claimed that most first time buyers, like us, buy loungers. Second time buyers don't opt for them. So we looked at the Vanguard and liked it, complete package $9300.

Whew! So here's the questions: is the Moto massage a good system or would fixed jets be better?
Are Hot Springs more energy efficient like the dealer says?
Hot Spring is moulded in ABS, is that a good thing or bad thing? It comes with ceramic filters, claimed to be good for 4 years, good filters? Better off with paper?  EverFresh 3 system with silver ions good? Just pour a little chlorine in at start up, add anti algaecide once a month? Seems to easy! And one last thing and I know it's a what you want thing, lounger or not?   

Wet test each and you'll know what jets, seats… you like and what you don't. Base your decision on what you think when you’re in it. Wet test the spa and you may love the motomassage or you may not.
Energy efficiency is very important when comparing spas but all 3 should do well for you. Hot Spring is good because its foam filled and uses dense foam to go with light foam. Sundance uses light foam and has an option to upgrade with a wrap, get that option. Caldera uses a new type of non foam insulation that should work well.
The shells and filters are fine on all. Each dealer should help you with how to care for the spa, its pretty simple.
As far as lounges go, my opinion is always to wet test before you buy any spa but especially if you're considering a lounge. if i didn't wet test I would not get a lounge because without the wet test you'll never know how it'll work for you no matter what the salesperson says about how theirs is specially designed blah, blah...
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 01:13:33 am »
 Sundance and Jacuzzi both use a higher density (tough chit) foam on the shell then std foam on the rest. Trust me  I know, I have dug through it a few times.    I still think you can't compare the Limelight or Caldera to the Sundance Cameo, but you don't like the dealer so it doesn't matter.  Energy wise you would have a hard time telling which one really is better.   Motosage what I have seen is people either like it or they don't, so if you like it then you like it.  And it's true most 2nd time buyers do not get a lounge again.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 01:25:43 am by Jacuzzi Jim »

cmerks4

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 09:16:52 am »
Jim are you saying Sundance is much better? There other dealers a little further away......

manwgoldengun

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 10:35:11 am »
That's a shame about the Sundance dealer.  That's the best spa I can find so far--hope to wet test Caldera Niagra soon, but dealer apparently doesn't take me seriously???  I am targeting an Optima--it's the non-lounge equivalent of the Cameo.  That price seems inline from my research.  Actually a bit low!  I crossed Hot Springs off the list after the heater/fire recall and the major issues I read about with their Ace Salt System.  I was disappointed.  They were high on my list!  I'm going non-lounge because I have 2 young boys.  The open seating gives them  (and us) more room!!

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 11:50:18 am »
  I am not saying the Sundance is better (which I think it is)   but it's not a apple for apple comparison.  IMO The Cameo lines up in the Hot Springs line not the limelight series.  Same with Caldera.    Price wise I don't think they match up either?   The Cameo should be more than the Limelight series? 

Manwgoldengun, to cross off H,Springs for a heater recall is crazy!  If the ACE system doesn't work dont buy it, use ozone and dichlor.     HS builds a nice spa and will stand behind it!! 

zybar

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2012, 02:01:42 pm »
That's a shame about the Sundance dealer.  That's the best spa I can find so far--hope to wet test Caldera Niagra soon, but dealer apparently doesn't take me seriously???  I am targeting an Optima--it's the non-lounge equivalent of the Cameo.  That price seems inline from my research.  Actually a bit low!  I crossed Hot Springs off the list after the heater/fire recall and the major issues I read about with their Ace Salt System.  I was disappointed.  They were high on my list!  I'm going non-lounge because I have 2 young boys.  The open seating gives them  (and us) more room!!

We wet tested an Optima this morning and it is a fine hot tub.  We really liked the layout, the jets, and the features.  If you can get it at a price you are comfortable with, go for it.

Although we liked the Optima a lot, we decided to go with its big brother, the Aspen.

George

Hot Spring Ace

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2012, 03:10:23 pm »
Vanguard, Flair, Martinique and Cameo are all good choices. The Vanguard actually has a high density foam on the shell followed by mid density foam along the shell, equipment compartment and all sides, then only the middle has the low density foam with a very dense foam on the bottom to seal it all. That method is why IMO it has always been the industry leader in energy efficiency though others have stepped it up as well with Caldera & Limelight's new very effective FiberCor insulation method and Sundance adding an optional wrap to their foam method.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 03:20:05 pm by Hot Spring Ace »

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2012, 04:19:42 pm »
$9300 for a brand new Vanguard with Tri-X filter upgrade is a damn good price...you've really narrowed it down to some really nice spas, so like others have said use wet test to determine what spa feels the best as far as comfort is concerned.  And to repeat the obvious make sure you are comfortable with the dealer itself.

As far as energy efficiency is concerned the Hot Spring is a very efficient spa, we monitor power on various models throughout the year so I have the numbers to back up my claims which is nice to show people rather than making an educated guess....In the end its not going to be a huge difference because of all the models you are looking at nothing is going to break the bank as far as energy consumption because they are all from reputable brands.

The Tri-X filters will last 4-5 years versus a paper filter which is usually replaced every year or two, but obviously that shouldn't be a deal breaker in the end.

The ACE System is an option, as far as mr. clueless consumer who posted above, the system has been improved and moving forward we have not had a single issue with the ACE since they've made updates....and yes there was a recall, everyone was notified immediately and it was instantly taken care of free of charge of course...If your brain can't comprehend that almost every single manufacturer on planet earth has had one or multiple recalls in the past, and that you most likely come into contact with multiple companies/products on a daily basis who have experienced it (check the car you drive your family around it, has it had a recall in the past?) then I can't help you, sorry

cmerks4

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2012, 05:49:11 pm »
Well we got the Vanguard, $9380 complete. Tri X filters and an extra set also. Lots of extra chemicals a spa mop and a bottle of Silk balance. I did wet test it and liked it a lot. Thanks for all the advice here and to JJ who in another thread suggested asking for more extras once you get a fair price.

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2012, 08:13:18 pm »
Well we got the Vanguard, $9380 complete. Tri X filters and an extra set also. Lots of extra chemicals a spa mop and a bottle of Silk balance. I did wet test it and liked it a lot. Thanks for all the advice here and to JJ who in another thread suggested asking for more extras once you get a fair price.

wow, no joke you got a killer deal, if you have any friends/family in the market and they can pull that same deal I would have them snap it up

Hot Spring Ace

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2012, 10:29:38 pm »

Good deal and an excellent choice. This site certainly helps prepare shoppers with information and advice.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2012, 07:24:08 am »
FYI, the $9300 offer on the Vanguard is the exact same offer I received for one this weekend.  I have arthritis in my back and frequently have fatigued back muscles. The motomassage does feel very good.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2012, 07:56:55 am »
I love the MotoMassage - it is the jet which helped my wife and I choose HotSpring over 25 years ago, and we are still with them.

I'm sure you'll love your tub - welcome to Spatopia: may you soak long and prosper!

8)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2012, 03:19:30 pm »
I love the MotoMassage - it is the jet which helped my wife and I choose HotSpring over 25 years ago, and we are still with them.

I'm sure you'll love your tub - welcome to Spatopia: may you soak long and prosper!

8)

The only thing my wife didn't like about the Vanguard is where the circ pump empties into the tub. She puts her foot right there getting out and the water is hot, not so hot to burn, but a minor annoyance.   When I talked to the dealer Saturday, he didn't have much time for me, so I'm not sure if he told me they would give me $75 for my tub, or would charge me $75 to take it away.  Being they are currently selling Dynasty as well, I was hoping for a little better.  He did suggest selling it on Craigs list, which I could probably do, but here in Ohio, we have had several Craigslist murders this year.  My wife, would be hesitant to be inviting strangers to our house.  I did sell a car on craigslist and had to deal with the Iranian Mafia.   Fortunately, that hasn't come back to harm me yet.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2012, 03:19:30 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42