Original > Hot Tub Forum

Spa Bottoms

(1/5) > >>

dazedandconfused:
Are there any spa manufacturers that use a solid plastic cover on the bottom?  What do Sundance and HS use?

I hate to see my future spa resting in water over the years.  I can't imagine what it would do to all the wood inside.

Mendocino101:
Marquis spas do....They have what they call there durabase foundation...I believe that Sundance also has something simluar....

dazedandconfused:
Has anyone had trouble with moisture coming thru the bottom of their spas and decaying the wood structure?  ANything I could do to prevent this from happening?

rick:
My Calspa experienced what you just described.  
A neglected leak that caused the whole foundation to rot out.  (when they came to haul it out, it would not move in one piece, it just started falling apart and they ended up sawing it into pieces to get it out of there.)When I first noticed the leak I called around and nobody wanted to touch it with a 10 foot pole, it being a full foam job.  I then opened up the paneling and saw first hand what full foam looks like.  It looks like somebody just started cramming assorted chunks of foam into this guy. I now pity anybody who is tasked with digging out such a leak.  
Now my Calspa was pretty old too.  It was probably close to 15 years old,  it came with the house when I bought it.  
So when the leak got so bad, (close to 1 foot loss of water per day), I started shopping and researching.  
No, I claim to be no expert in spa design and while what I learned in my 3 weeks of searching is nowhere close to becoming an expert in the field, I did learn about the thermopane design and when I walked into the Coleman dealer I was doubly impressed with its all metal foundation.  No wood whatsoever.   This spa is also now much lighter than the "regular" spas,(unfilled of course)  meaning easier to move in case I decide to change residences one day.  I didn't spend over $8000 on a toy that I plan to leave with this house if I ever sell it.  My toy is going with me to my new house, and I hope that it outlasts the 15 years that the CalSpa gave me.  
To me, it just seems like common sense that the spa industry will move to this kind of design but you say the word thermopane on boards like this and the full foam guys just start bashing and making all kinds of claims of inherent problems with this design.  I just don't know.  Maybe they're all right.  Maybe the day my warranty runs out this guy is going to start leaking like a sieve and running up my electric bill.  Only time will tell, but I just have a better feeling all around about how my spa's made.  

Steve:
Great question Dazed.

Personally, I find floors on the bottom of a hot tub somewhat redundant.

From a moisture perspective, if the materials used are pressure treated, this will never be an issue. Anyone built a deck recently?

The other reason would be to prevent rodents and such from entering the cavity. If this same 2X4 structure sealed the entire bottom edge, they would either need to come up through the cement foundation or eat through the pressure treated wood. Neither scenario is realistic.

The question should be, what materials are being used for the structure and will it be susceptible to rot? Does plastic break down over time? Does steel rust?

As for Rick, comparing a 15 year old design to concluding what type of insulation method is best currently, isn't really relative. This isn't a comparison on thermal "pain"  ;)  and it really has nothing to do with the question. I'm sure your tub will give you many years of pleasure but the decision of purchasing a fully insulated spa or not, equates to about 5% of the significant factors in this purchase.

Steve

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version