What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Question for Jacuzzi Experts  (Read 20725 times)

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: Question for Jacuzzi Experts
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2012, 02:06:51 pm »
On a side note, why hasn't anybody else done the 100% no by-pass filtration?  (maybe they have)  You would think, if it's so great why don't more manufacturers do it??    I will admit it is a great selling tool just strange HS is the only.

Just curious..

There is no bypass on the Sundance filtration system.  The filter pump always pulls through the filter.

So your saying the sundance has no suctions in the foot well?   Optima should have 3

The circ pump yes, but not the main pumps.    Pump one will have a suction as well with a check valve same as Jacuzzi. 
99.9% sure 

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2012, 02:06:51 pm »

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2012, 02:44:25 pm »
My circulation pump is separate from the jet pumps. I think it would not be economical to run a 400-500 gallon Hot Tub 24 hours a day. A pool only requires that water be turned over once daily in most circumstances; I owned a 18000 gallon above ground pool for years. It took way more Maintenance than a Hot Tub especially A Jacuzzi machine like I own. ;)

Also, not only is my circulation pump designed to be energy efficient due to heat transfer but my Jet Motors are more energy efficient than the Circulation pump. It is a freaking machine.

Sometimes Individuals make it way to complicated with the maintenance of a Hot Tub.

My Jacuzzi J 465 is basically Maintenance free after initial water balancing. It basically self cleans. I use to deal with a "scum line" but HTH Enzyme Cleaner is the answer to that; works great.

Now Jacuzzi has a feature built in the J 1000 controller called "Summer Logic". If the water temp. is higher than 95 F and rises 2 degrees above the set temperature, it goes into "Summer Logic" that keeps the circulation pump off except for the 2 hours it automatically runs from 9 - 11 AM.

This can cause me issues in the summer time because my Hot Tub Temperature will stay above 95 for days. We like 101. We use our Hot Tub daily for 20 - 30 minutes.

Due to our Hot Climate in the Summer, It will stay above 95 for days. I cheat the system and get the set point at the current temp so my circulation pump will do its job.  Summer logic can be a pain in the rear but the flip side is how well my Jacuzzi J 465 is insulated.

They say it is a safety issue; I guess heat for a extended period of time on the pump....

regarding your statement in bold....too operate a low watt circ. pump on a 500 gal vista I have in my showroom it costs .45 cents per hour....too run a 2.5hp (most common size on bigger spas) on low speed to circulate it costs 6.3 cents per hour....so based on 6 hours of circulation your looking at 37.8 cents....while the 24hr circ. pump uses 10.8 cents per 24hrs

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2012, 02:45:58 pm »
S 24hr circulation, just makes for a little less maintenance, also most 24hr circ. pumps are separate from your main jets pumps which allow a little less wear and tear on jet pumps, less vibration and noise especially if the spa is on a deck attached to the house....

That maybe the best answer I've seen to that question.  I'm currently in a situation with a 9 year old hot tub where I am dead in the water because of a bad pump. I lost one pump under warranty, the other pump after 6 years and the first pump is now gone again after 9 years.   In the 9 years I've had the tub, I have had my filtration set anywhere from 2-6 hours a day on low speed of that big pump.  That is a lot of starting and stopping and probably a high percentage of the starting and stopping on that pump.   Any idea what it costs to replace circ pumps and now long they last on average?  (I know that is a vague question.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2012, 02:51:59 pm »
S 24hr circulation, just makes for a little less maintenance, also most 24hr circ. pumps are separate from your main jets pumps which allow a little less wear and tear on jet pumps, less vibration and noise especially if the spa is on a deck attached to the house....

That maybe the best answer I've seen to that question.  I'm currently in a situation with a 9 year old hot tub where I am dead in the water because of a bad pump. I lost one pump under warranty, the other pump after 6 years and the first pump is now gone again after 9 years.   In the 9 years I've had the tub, I have had my filtration set anywhere from 2-6 hours a day on low speed of that big pump.  That is a lot of starting and stopping and probably a high percentage of the starting and stopping on that pump.   Any idea what it costs to replace circ pumps and now long they last on average?  (I know that is a vague question.

with that said, check my numbers in the post above...not only starting and stopping, but more $

smackman

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2012, 03:37:17 pm »

If a circulating motor/pump run 24/7, I can promise you its life span will be much shorter than a pump ran 6 hours a day.

There is more wear on the  bearings; the seal is more likely to leak from excessive running etc . The bearings will eventually go out as will the pump seal. The windings will break down quicker from heat within the motor 24/7. Any pump that runs 24/7 will not last as long as a pump running 6 hours a day

Starting and stopping a pump only becomes a big issue if this is happening many times in a hour/day.

I am not out to argue.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 06:52:10 pm by smackman »

smackman

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2012, 03:48:12 pm »
My circulation pump is separate from the jet pumps. I think it would not be economical to run a 400-500 gallon Hot Tub 24 hours a day. A pool only requires that water be turned over once daily in most circumstances; I owned a 18000 gallon above ground pool for years. It took way more Maintenance than a Hot Tub especially A Jacuzzi machine like I own. ;)

Also, not only is my circulation pump designed to be energy efficient due to heat transfer but my Jet Motors are more energy efficient than the Circulation pump. It is a freaking machine.

Sometimes Individuals make it way to complicated with the maintenance of a Hot Tub.

My Jacuzzi J 465 is basically Maintenance free after initial water balancing. It basically self cleans. I use to deal with a "scum line" but HTH Enzyme Cleaner is the answer to that; works great.

Now Jacuzzi has a feature built in the J 1000 controller called "Summer Logic". If the water temp. is higher than 95 F and rises 2 degrees above the set temperature, it goes into "Summer Logic" that keeps the circulation pump off except for the 2 hours it automatically runs from 9 - 11 AM.

This can cause me issues in the summer time because my Hot Tub Temperature will stay above 95 for days. We like 101. We use our Hot Tub daily for 20 - 30 minutes.

Due to our Hot Climate in the Summer, It will stay above 95 for days. I cheat the system and get the set point at the current temp so my circulation pump will do its job.  Summer logic can be a pain in the rear but the flip side is how well my Jacuzzi J 465 is insulated.

They say it is a safety issue; I guess heat for a extended period of time on the pump....

regarding your statement in bold....too operate a low watt circ. pump on a 500 gal vista I have in my showroom it costs .45 cents per hour....too run a 2.5hp (most common size on bigger spas) on low speed to circulate it costs 6.3 cents per hour....so based on 6 hours of circulation your looking at 37.8 cents....while the 24hr circ. pump uses 10.8 cents per 24hrs

I have the big pump; I would save approx $1.13 a day or approx. $34 dollars a month or $407 dollars a year running 6 hours not 24

IF my math is right, that is a fairly big savings. I would rather have the big pump/motor and move my water in 6 hours that a small pump/motor that has to run 24/7 to achieve the same results.

Sometimes bigger is better in the long haul.  ;D

Also, I do not see where I had the economical statement in bold but I am almost 55. HAHA
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 03:50:38 pm by smackman »

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2012, 04:18:50 pm »
On a side note, why hasn't anybody else done the 100% no by-pass filtration?  (maybe they have)  You would think, if it's so great why don't more manufacturers do it??    I will admit it is a great selling tool just strange HS is the only.

Just curious..

There is no bypass on the Sundance filtration system.  The filter pump always pulls through the filter.

So your saying the sundance has no suctions in the foot well?   Optima should have 3

The circ pump yes, but not the main pumps.    Pump one will have a suction as well with a check valve same as Jacuzzi. 
99.9% sure

Pump 1 has 1 suction in the footwell and one underneath the filter in the filter area
Pump 2 has 2 suctions in the footwell
The filtering pump only pulls through the filter

The filtration system has no bypass.  It only pulls through the filter.  The 2 main pumps are not tied into the filtration system at all, thus filtration is never bypassed.  Don't you just love semantics?   ;)

bajabill

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2012, 04:24:39 pm »
what does a filter do?  Remove solids??  anything else?

smackman

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2012, 04:38:58 pm »
Think of a Filter in your Air Conditioned that catch's air borne continents; A Hot tub filter will filter contaminants, soap debris etc to the micron it is capable of. It is similar to what a Home Water Filter does. 

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2012, 05:01:13 pm »

I have the big pump; I would save approx $1.13 a day or approx. $34 dollars a month or $407 dollars a year running 6 hours not 24

IF my math is right, that is a fairly big savings. I would rather have the big pump/motor and move my water in 6 hours that a small pump/motor that has to run 24/7 to achieve the same results.

Also, I do not see where I had the economical statement in bold but I am almost 55. HAHA

I come here to help people not argue....your limited vague experience with 1 brand of hottub = pointless argument...partly my fault attempting a technical conversation with someone who does not have any experience in this industry....good luck with your tub and good day

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2012, 05:39:16 pm »

No one is saying your pump should be run 24/7 so I don't agree with how you are calculating savings as if you're only using yours 1/4 of the time of a 24/7 circ pump. You are running your pump the required time and since you're moving more water you only need to run it 6 hrs. The circulation pumps that run 24/7 run that long because they move less water but they are very energy efficient and use far less energy per hour. You'd have to compare the energy you use in 6 hrs vs the energy one of the 24/7 pumps use in 24 hours if you wanted to see how much more or less filtering is costing you vs that system.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 05:41:56 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

smackman

« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2012, 05:44:00 pm »

No one is saying your pump should be run 24/7 so I don't agree with how you are calculating savings as if you're only using yours 1/4 of the time of a 24/7 circ pump. You are running your pump the required time and since you're moving more water you only need to run it 6 hrs. The circulation pumps that run 24/7 run that long because they move less water but they are very energy efficient and use far less energy per hour. You'd have to compare the energy you use in 6 hrs vs the energy one of the 24/7 pumps use in 24 hours if you wanted to see how much more or less filtering is costing you vs that system.

I can but in the real world that does not apply to me and my Hot Tub. That is all I was saying.

smackman

« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2012, 05:48:06 pm »

I come here to help people not argue....your limited vague experience with 1 brand of hottub = pointless argument...partly my fault attempting a technical conversation with someone who does not have any experience in this industry....good luck with your tub and good day

Wow; I am not out to argue by no means. I was just given input concerning motors, based on, HP,motor duty cycle, current draw etc.

Have a wonderful Day. I apologize for offending you.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 06:50:51 pm by smackman »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2012, 06:13:10 pm »
I'll delete my response. When people start using degrees and life experience to trump spa professionals work experience even though their spa experience is measured in weeks or months and limited to what is in their back yard I prefer to just smile and move on.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 06:26:25 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

smackman

« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2012, 06:48:48 pm »
I guess I do not know what I said so wrong. I will  let the experts only comment.

All I commented on was Electrical of any magnitude. I will be a reader and only ask questions.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2012, 06:48:48 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42