What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: opinions on Jacuzzi j-460...  (Read 11679 times)

dbldee20

opinions on Jacuzzi j-460...
« on: March 20, 2012, 09:44:17 pm »
I was considering buying a 4 year old Jacuzzi j-460. Any opinions on what it's worth. Seller is asking $3500.00 for spa and cover. She said she paid around $7500.00 for it. It has around 35 jets, a stereo/waterfall and Jacuzzi cover. The tub would fit well in the space i have available for it. I'm pretty sure I can get it for under $3000 as she needs to sell it before her house sells.  I've heard Jacuzzi is a solid brand, but know next to nothing about spas. This would be my first one. I know I can buy a new spa for $3000-$4000, which would be about my limit. Is it worth spending that much on a used Jacuzzi? Any other spas I should check out in that price range?

Thanks in advance for any feedback..
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 10:35:17 pm by dbldee20 »

Hot Tub Forum

opinions on Jacuzzi j-460...
« on: March 20, 2012, 09:44:17 pm »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: opinions on Jacuzzi j-460...
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 06:55:15 am »
Welcome to the forum.   From what I can see that is a good tub, I've looked at one myself. The price is fair is the tub is in very good condition, but maybe there is some room. How is the cover? Does it feel heavy? Can an average 14 year old girl open and close it by herself? If it feels heavy and needs replaced you might have some negotiating room.  Can you see it running and heated?
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

dbldee20

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 08:35:18 am »
thanks. The cover appears to be in good shape, although I didn't open it myself. The spa is sitting at edge of a covered porch and don't think it gets exposed to harsh weather etc. It's attached to some sort of hinge. I checked it out last night. Pumps and jets were all working along with the stereo. Water was a bit murky and had some tiny debris particles floating around. Seller told me she hasn't used it in a while. I'm guessing it'll need a thorough cleaning. She basically told me she'd take $3k for it. I'm thinking if i give her $2700.00 cash, she'll take it. I just wasn't sure if I'd be better off with a new spa that would cost me about the same or go with the Jacuzzi brand, which cost much more new than I'd be willing to spend.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 09:23:45 am »
 That spa new cost around 8000 or better for that time frame.  By todays stds it's close to ten.   We don't sell many because it's size and well it's a spendy spa.      It has fantastic filtration and great jets. Quality wise it's top of the line!!!    If you can get it for that or even 3 it would be a great deal..

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 11:05:02 am »
I was considering buying a 4 year old Jacuzzi j-460. Any opinions on what it's worth. Seller is asking $3500.00 for spa and cover. She said she paid around $7500.00 for it. It has around 35 jets, a stereo/waterfall and Jacuzzi cover. The tub would fit well in the space i have available for it. I'm pretty sure I can get it for under $3000 as she needs to sell it before her house sells.  I've heard Jacuzzi is a solid brand, but know next to nothing about spas. This would be my first one. I know I can buy a new spa for $3000-$4000, which would be about my limit. Is it worth spending that much on a used Jacuzzi? Any other spas I should check out in that price range?

Thanks in advance for any feedback..

If its fully operating and in good condition (don't assume anything, you must see it filled, heated and operating before you even bother to negotiate) I'd say a 4 year old spa should be worth about 40% of its original cost depending on condition so its not far off. I'd suggest an offer of $2500 with the idea you could settle in between if needed.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

smackman

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 10:19:34 am »
I own a 2010 J 465. It is a excellent spa except for speaker issues. You will love your J 460
If you can get it for $3000, JUMP ON IT. I paid $8600 for my J 465 in 2010 not including the stereo cost of $1200.

We love our J 465

dbldee20

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 10:32:48 am »
I own a 2010 J 465. It is a excellent spa except for speaker issues. You will love your J 460
If you can get it for $3000, JUMP ON IT. I paid $8600 for my J 465 in 2010 not including the stereo cost of $1200.

We love our J 465

Thanks for all the feedback. "smackman,"  what's the problem you've had with the speakers? How was it fixed? Was it expensive? I wasn't sure if you paid an additional $1200 for the stereo or that's what you paid to have it fixed

smackman

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 02:03:16 pm »

We love our J 465

Thanks for all the feedback. "smackman,"  what's the problem you've had with the speakers? How was it fixed? Was it expensive? I wasn't sure if you paid an additional $1200 for the stereo or that's what you paid to have it fixed

Our speakers go out all the time for no particular reason. Currently they are replaced under warranty but that just expired. I have no idea why they go out and neither does Jacuzzi. They had me to lower the water level to just above the highest jet; did not help.

I paid a extra $1200 for the stereo system. Based on my problems, I would never recommend a stereo system because of the speaker issue I have had. I have lost at least 10 in 22 months. :'(

Jacuzzi has refused to extend the warranty even with the above issue that is not my fault. All that has been done is to replace the bad speaker but the Service Tech is told to do that. There is something bad wrong somewhere but.........

I will have no working speakers in 6 months meaning the stereo system is no good to me.  :(

It is impossible to keep water off of the speakers. If 4 adults get in the Hot Tub, the speakers are half under water with the beginning level a 1/2" from the top of the highest jet; I cannot go lower than that or my pump will cavitate with air from low level.

dbldee20

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 03:44:06 pm »
So I went back and took a 2nd look at the spa. Water level was at top. All the side jets worked. Spa was holding at set temp. All 4 speakers work. I did notice that the main filter was missing, which concerned me. The seller wasn't there and her brother(who was showing me the spa) knew nothing about it. There was no filter in the main chamber, the 2nd filter (a catch filter I guess, looked like a swimming pool skimming material) was there. Should I be concerned? Her brother said the spa hasn't seen much use in the past year and the water was pretty murky. I didn't smell bad, but definitely had an odor. I doubt she'll be honest with me if it's been without a filter for a while, if I bring it to her attention.

Should I avoid this spa or is it not a big deal?

Thanks again for any feedback or opinions

smackman

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 04:08:21 pm »
I would be very reluctant to buy a J 460 with a stereo system because of speaker failure. When you get in this Hot Tub, Is the water over the speakers or even touch the speakers? It is impossible in a J 460 and J465 to not have water cover the speakers with 3-4 people in there, My water level is ran as low as feasible and when the wife and I get in the water level is touching the bottom of the speakers. These speakers are not designed properly for a Hot Tub. It may be the Heat, maybe chemicals but they will go out.

You said the level was at the top of the spa so the speakers had to be covered in water. By the way, that is to high of a level. The top jet should be covered with water and that is it. IF water stays on these speakers, they will go out.

Ask the salesman if the speakers are waterproof; They are not.

I might have a "bad" system or something but my Jacuzzi J 465 blows speakers big time. Not worth the extra money IMO. You can buy a big time system for that price. I wish I would have.

Also, make sure you will get good service. Ask for references. This is a investment.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 06:16:36 pm »
 Doesn't sound like they are getting this from a dealer?  I think someone just listed it, prolly Craigslist.    3000 for that would be a good price stereo or not.   

smackman

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2012, 06:54:20 pm »
I also just noticed it is a 4 year old J 460. It has a different type speaker; Jacuzzi changed in 2010 on 400 series.

For $3000 you cannot go wrong IMO. My J 465 was $9800 with $1200 dollar stereo in that price. I felt I got a good deal after looking at what some had give for a J 465 in other areas of the country.

$3000 I would gladly take the stereo system.  ;D Great price IMO without the stereo system.

dbldee20

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2012, 08:19:15 pm »
Thanks for the feedback. The water level was just below the speakers. They are all working, but that's not my concern. I'm more concerned w it being operated without a filter. I'm assuming this can't be good. Please read full post from earlier today. I'm pretty sure I can get it for around $2700, but don't want to buy it if there will likely be problems from running it without the filter. I have no idea how long she's been running it without it

Thanks again

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2012, 08:27:39 pm »
 Well running it without a filter is not good but it shouldn't hurt the spa.  Unless, something gets sucked up in the pump.  But I believe where the filter screws in there is a screen to keep stuff from getting to the pumps.   2700 is a heck of a deal.

If the spa is running and heated the rest of it is easy.  Have you figured out how your gonna move it??

dbldee20

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2012, 08:36:58 pm »
Thanks Jim. I have someone lined up with a trailer who will help move and transport it for $100. She apparently sold the house, so it has to go and I don't think she's had any other reasonable offers. Should I avoid turning it on it's side? The tricky part will be to get it into my yard, which is completely elevated with a steep hillside to tackle.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2012, 08:36:58 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42