Original > Hot Tub Forum

Changing Water

(1/4) > >>

pjjp21:
When changing spa water is it ok to use water from the hot water heater, just wondering if it would be a little easier.

john

Steve:

--- Quote ---When changing spa water is it ok to use water from the hot water heater, just wondering if it would be a little easier.

john
--- End quote ---

Not sure what you mean by "easier"? ??? The advantage would be that the tub would reach temperature quicker, but that's about it. Not really worth it IMO.

Steve

Electro:
pjjp21,

Thanks for this topic.

I would like to expand it slightly, if that's all right with you.  I have considered filling and draining the water with every use to avoid dealing with chemicals and such.  Even at fairly high water costs, say $2.50 per thousand gallons and adding sewer costs at the same rate, a 500 gallon tub would only cost $2.50 for the water.  Heating it would add about $2.00, if a 6 kW heater operated continuously for 3 1/3 hours and electricity cost 10 cents per kwh.  I feel these numbers are conservative and the likely cost to fill is closer to $3.00 total.  This cost would be partially offset by not using all the normal chemicals.

Would it be necessary to add some minimal chemicals?

What do folks think of this idea?

Electro

wmccall:

--- Quote ---When changing spa water is it ok to use water from the hot water heater, just wondering if it would be a little easier.

john
--- End quote ---

By easier I assume you are talking about the spa heating up quicker. How big is your water heater? How many gallons is the tub?   In my case we would be talking 40 gallons vs 425.  I don't have a formula, but I'm guessing that when the tub is filled  that it would be less than 1 degree warmer than if you just used the cold for the entire fill.

Starlight:

--- Quote ---pjjp21,

I have considered filling and draining the water with every use to avoid dealing with chemicals and such. ...

What do folks think of this idea?

Electro

--- End quote ---

Hi Electro,

It seems to me that the PITA factor of having to plan in advance when you wanted to use the spa, fill, wait hours for the water temp to rise, use, then drain would get old very quickly.  Then there are the issues of leaving pump seal, etc. dry, and dealing with air locks in the lines.  May I ask why you are trying to avoid some form of sanitizers?  Your previous posts indicate plenty of experience maintaining pool water.

Starlight

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version