What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Questions about Arctic Spas  (Read 104365 times)

Summitman

Re: Questions about Arctic Spas
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2008, 12:26:18 pm »

That is all fine and dandy, however I have delt with more than 10 Arctic spas in the Denver and Colorado Springs areas that have had problems overheating in the summer. I guess global warming has included to be in the "hot climates". What is never addressed is what happens to equipment packs when it gets 250 degrees inside one of these cabinets. I can appreciate the pumps that you have added, it is a real solution toward preventing the pump problems that go along with extreme heat conditions in the cabinet.

I have only seen a hand full of covers that build up water in the skirt, however what I have seen in several is that black mold grows inside the skirt and also causes a mildew smell.

250 degrees!!! Wow, Im surprised that I dont have a 1,000 returned arctic spas in my front parking lot if that was true.  That doesnt happen cause if the HL probe (which keep in mind sits INSIDE the cabinet) senses 119 degrees it trips the HL error code and the heater shuts down.   I have run the spa continuously in the showroom with temp sensors inside the cabinet showing it gets nowhere near the 119 let alone 250 degrees.  

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2008, 12:26:18 pm »

spaman--

• Hot tubs are not for soaking, they are for selling
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2008, 12:31:58 pm »
My point exactly! In a perfect world I suppose the cabinet would stay between 105 and 119(since the temp in the cabinet must be above the temp. of the water to be effective), however while filtering on a 95 to 103 degree day, the heat builds immensly. It happens!

-SpaMan~

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2008, 12:35:22 pm »
groan....who let the dogs out?

Arctic has a reputation as being one of the better tubs out there. And as Spaman pointed out there are some down sides to thier tubs as well. Over all though you could do far worse.

My advice is to WET test. Dry testing will do nothing. the boencey from the water and pressure off the jets changes everything.

I would also visit and wet test some other tubs from other manufacuters. If for the sole purpose of confirming what you already like.  There are many tubs out there, and some are better than others.  However, if you could take a look at other tubs that are considered industry leaders as well, I think you will be in better posistion ot make an informed decsion. Consider looking at Hotsrpings, Sundance, Caldera, JAcquizi.

As far as staining the tub, I think there is nothing nicer than a beautifuily stained wood skirt on a hot tub, AND there is nothing as ugly as a wood skirt that has been neglegtid.  I have had both, and I prefer vinly siding for ease of maintence.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 12:35:45 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

spaman--

« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2008, 12:37:46 pm »

Arctic has a reputation as being one of the better tubs out there. And as Spaman pointed out there are some down sides to thier tubs as well. Over all though you could do far worse.

My advice is to WET test. Dry testing will do nothing. the boencey from the water and pressure off the jets changes everything.

I would also visit and wet test some other tubs from other manufacuters. If for the sole purpose of confirming what you already like.  There are many tubs out there, and some are better than others.  However, if you could take a look at other tubs that are considered industry leaders as well, I think you will be in better posistion ot make an informed decsion. Consider looking at Hotsrpings, Sundance, Caldera, JAcqui

As far as staining the tub, I think there is nothing nicer than a beautifuily stained wood skirt on a hot tub, AND there is nothing as ugly as a wood skirt that has been neglegtid.  I have had both, and I prefer vinly siding for ease of maintence.

AMEN!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 12:38:24 pm by spaman_dot_com »
-SpaMan~

Summitman

« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2008, 12:41:34 pm »
My point exactly! In a perfect world I suppose the cabinet would stay between 105 and 119(since the temp in the cabinet must be above the temp. of the water to be effective), however while filtering on a 95 to 103 degree day, the heat builds immensly. It happens!

And if its a problem, which its been a extremely minimal problem, (even in my backyard), they make louvered doors for the hot days of summer to allow excessive heat to escape.  Not an issue with any of my customers spaman.  

Water Boy

« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2008, 12:42:52 pm »

I would also visit and wet test some other tubs from other manufacuters. If for the sole purpose of confirming what you already like.  There are many tubs out there, and some are better than others.  However, if you could take a look at other tubs that are considered industry leaders as well, I think you will be in better posistion ot make an informed decsion. Consider looking at Hotsrpings, Sundance, Caldera, JAcquizi.

Arctic Spas ARE in the same category as the others you mentioned. They are all five star with pool and spa, and they are all one of ten spas spa search certified which is all based off of customer feedback of previous and current owners of the spas mentioned. So, to be in the top eight with the other spas that you mentioned, I would say Arctic Spas are right up there with the others. Also, according to Lucite, they are in the top ten from a manufacturing standpoint, so they must be doing something right.

Here is a link to the 2008 spasearch certified spas for those that want to see it:
http://www.spasearch.org/topspas.php
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 12:50:03 pm by Happy_Madison »
Arctic Spas Dealer of the Year- 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009

Summitman

« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2008, 12:44:37 pm »
[glow]groan....who let the dogs out? [/glow]

EXACTLY

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2008, 01:22:01 pm »
oh, one more thing  I'd also consider the attitude of the sales force in general when selecting a spa. I think it's a reflection on  the commitment and quality by the actual manufactuers of the product.

It's been my expereince that there has always been one or two manufacters whos sales folks constantly rise to the top. With me, that's important. It tells me the manufactuers cares about who represents thier product and how it's serviced and sold.

I wont mention names, but  I bet if you hang around here long enough, you'll quickly be able to tell the sincere quality companies from the hounds.   ;)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 01:23:39 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Summitman

« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2008, 01:27:46 pm »
oh, one more thing  I'd also consider the attitude of the sales force in general when selecting a spa. I think it's a reflection on  the commitment and quality by the actual manufactuers of the product.

It's been my expereince that there has always been one or two manufacters whos sales folks constantly rise to the top. With me, that's important. It tells me the manufactuers cares about who represents thier product and how it's serviced and sold.

I wont mention names, but  I bet if you hang around here long enough, you'll quickly be able to tell the sincere quality companies from the hounds.   ;)

yep like stating that a spa overheated to 250 degrees, when that is completely false.  Dang hounds.

spaman--

« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2008, 01:32:32 pm »

yep like stating that a spa overheated to 250 degrees, when that is completely false.  Dang hounds.

If I must go into this further I will, however it won't be pretty for Arctic, I am holding back at this point and I have tried to drop it several times, but the puppy keeps yiping! Let me know, I am happy to ablige! ;)
-SpaMan~

Water Boy

« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2008, 01:39:00 pm »
Drew

I take offense to your last comments. I know you didn’t mention me personally, but that was clearly obvious. I am not a hound on this forum as you suggest.

I joined this forum to provide advice to customers that ask questions in regards to Arctic Spas, just as I did in this post for spa newb before it was attacked at by Spaman, and now you. I will always defend the product that I am selling from the negativity that is put out there by people like you two.

If you look at all my posts, you will see that I never bad mouth other brands of spas. I don’t spread negativity about other brands nor take side jabs where you say something like" Well thats a fine spa, but watch out for this, and beware of that." That just doesn’t happen. I have gotten pm's from several people thanking me for advice and for helping them out with questions. That is no where close to being a hound as you suggest. Maybe you should look in the mirror.
Arctic Spas Dealer of the Year- 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009

Summitman

« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2008, 01:43:18 pm »

If I must go into this further I will, however it won't be pretty for Arctic, I am holding back at this point and I have tried to drop it several times, but the puppy keeps yiping! Let me know, I am happy to ablige! ;)

Im not a "puppy" their spaman, I dont appreciate the snide remarks.  Im just on here trying to keep facts straight.  Opinions are fine, we all know that Arctic has problems with their spas just like any other brand does.  Arctic is also one of the elite brands whether you like it or not.  I have worked on and sold the Arctic line for years just like any other brand, and their is nothing abnormal about the work that I have had to do with the Arctic spas.    Carry on if you like, and hey keep calling names, maybe you can run for public office next go around.  
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 01:43:51 pm by waylon33 »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2008, 11:10:13 am »
REMINDER Keep the maturity level up.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2008, 09:03:11 pm »

Tom

« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2008, 12:34:01 pm »
What is never addressed is what happens to equipment packs when it gets 250 degrees inside one of these cabinets.

:D  Water boils at 212F (a little less in Denver because of the altitude).  To paraphrase the witches in Macbeth:  "Double, double toil and trouble, hot tub boil and potion bubble..."  

The Alberta Research Council's Thermal Performance Test of Spas http://www.arcticspas.com/downloads/performance/Thermal%20Performance%20Test%20of%20Spas.pdf included data on equipment enclosure temperatures (Fig. 2 p. 4).  For an average ambient temperature of 19C and a constant water temperature of 40C, the EETs ranged from about 23C to about 42C (all spas). In other words, after a continuous run of 96 hours, at no time did the equipment temperature of any spa exceed 110F.

Certainly at higher ambient temperatures the EET will rise, which is why we offer some warm-weather solutions.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 12:45:01 pm by Graybeard »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2008, 12:34:01 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42