What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Questions about Arctic Spas  (Read 104369 times)

spa_newb

Questions about Arctic Spas
« on: November 02, 2008, 11:09:04 am »
Just went and looked at Arctic, we were overall pretty impressed. Here are some takeaways and questions:

The Forever Floor was great, they pitch this as a complete solution that removes the need for a concrete base. They said basically dig a base area out, pack tight with leveled mason sand and put the tub down. Sound accurate?

They also won me over on their insulation, which places all the foam on the outermost layer just inside the wooden cabinet, thus locking the heat generated from pumps, etc inside and letting it conduct through the fiberglass shell into the water, rather than the sprayed on foam coating the shell and or wrapped around pumps and pipes like most of the others... Anyone have any thoughts on this?

The Onzen sounds very promising, basically a new system that uses salt to generate chlorine on its own, combined with a higher end ozonator. Sounds like the part to replace the consumable in the ozonator is expensive though. Also I wonder how much they charge for the salt that needs to be put in up to twice a year. Seems like you could save a lot on chemicals though by paying a little extra at the beginning for Onzen.Thoughts?

I love the look of the cedar cabinets, but I'm not so high on the idea of staining them. They said stain twice a year. Sounds like a pain in the ass. How much does that cost in terms of stain? To get the "faux wood" its a $250 option.

The Jets seemed to protrude out, which surprised me, I wouldn't know if they felt uncomfortable until a wet test.

Overally nice tubs though.

Hot Tub Forum

Questions about Arctic Spas
« on: November 02, 2008, 11:09:04 am »

spaman--

• Hot tubs are not for soaking, they are for selling
Re: Questions about Arctic Spas
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 10:58:38 am »
Be sure to read all the intructions on cooling the tub in the summer, also read the instructions on punching a whole in the corner of the cover to allow the water that builds up in the skirt to drain. I will add that the website mentions nothing about the bacteria and algae that builds up in the skirt of the cover.
I would wet test the spa for comfort, I would not limit my wet test to one brand, try all of the well known brands to find the spa that best fits you and your needs. Please share with us the model you are interrested in. Some of the models are a bit funky, in my opinion the "Pizza Lounges" are not very anatomically correct. Idf you find it comfortable in a wet test buy it!

Wet testing is the most important part when considering a spa. Why? some seats and loungers in the industry are still being designed where the lower lumbar is positioned forward in seat or lounger, this causes the lungs to be positioned horizontal, this enhances the chance that a person will float out of the seat. Too many jets or too powerful of jets will also cause floating out of any seat. I STRONGLY urge you to wet test before you buy. In the end if you pay $9k for a spa and get it home and hate it, chances are that you are stuck with a spa you hate.

Good luck!
-SpaMan~

spaman--

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 11:26:15 am »

[glow]They also won me over on their insulation, which places all the foam on the outermost layer just inside the wooden cabinet, thus locking the heat generated from pumps, etc inside and letting it conduct through the fiberglass shell into the water, rather than the sprayed on foam coating the shell and or wrapped around pumps and pipes like most of the others... Anyone have any thoughts on this?[/glow]

would'nt the air from the pump need to be warmer than the water in the tub consistantly?

and is there a cooling fan on the main board to keep it from over heating and causing damage, like in your computer?

Just curious.
-SpaMan~

Water Boy

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 04:33:12 pm »
Hello Spa Newb. Thanks for your interest in Arctic Spas.  Most people on this forum will acknowledge that Arctic's are one of the top brands out there today.

I would suggest scheduling a wet test with you dealer to give one a try! Let me know if you have any other questions in regards to the Arctic Spas.

Arctic Spas Dealer of the Year- 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009

Summitman

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 04:51:50 pm »
Be sure to read all the intructions on cooling the tub in the summer, also read the instructions on punching a whole in the corner of the cover to allow the water that builds up in the skirt to drain. I will add that the website mentions nothing about the bacteria and algae that builds up in the skirt of the cover.
[glow]I would wet test the spa for comfort, I would not limit my wet test to one brand, try all of the well known brands to find the spa that best fits you and your needs. Please share with us the model you are interrested in. Some of the models are a bit funky, in my opinion the "Pizza Lounges" are not very anatomically correct. Idf you find it comfortable in a wet test buy it![/glow]

Wet testing is the most important part when considering a spa. Why? some seats and loungers in the industry are still being designed where the lower lumbar is positioned forward in seat or lounger, this causes the lungs to be positioned horizontal, this enhances the chance that a person will float out of the seat. Too many jets or too powerful of jets will also cause floating out of any seat. I STRONGLY urge you to wet test before you buy. In the end if you pay $9k for a spa and get it home and hate it, chances are that you are stuck with a spa you hate.

Good luck!

Exactly, before buying or calling seats "pizza lounges"  you should take "spamans" advice and give it a try.  Im sure spaman hasnt.

spaman--

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 06:26:52 pm »

Exactly, before buying or calling seats "pizza lounges"  you should take "spamans" advice and give it a try.  Im sure spaman hasnt.

Yea! sit in the Klondiker main lounge and let me know how well you stay down in the seat. Hold on to your hat because the only thing that will be touching the tub is your head on the head rest, the rest of your body floating at the surface of the water and your knees freezing because they were out of the water. You be the judge, this was just my experience. ;)

« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 06:30:20 pm by spaman_dot_com »
-SpaMan~

Water Boy

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 07:32:19 pm »
You just must be like the "sample of one" the Spatech was talking about in that other thread sawman. The Klondiker is one of Arctics #1 sellers, and most people really like that spa. Its a very comfortabe spa, imo.

Summitman

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008, 08:10:09 pm »

Yea! sit in the Klondiker main lounge and let me know how well you stay down in the seat. Hold on to your hat because the only thing that will be touching the tub is your head on the head rest, the rest of your body floating at the surface of the water and your knees freezing because they were out of the water. You be the judge, this was just my experience. ;)

The exact reason that you wet test any spa that you buy, the seats in any spa can be comfortable for some and uncomfortable for others.  Doesnt mean its a bad spa, just not for all.  Of course ALL of spamans spas he sells or services, fit Andre the Giant and Spud Webb all at the same time!!!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 08:11:48 pm by waylon33 »

BubbaGump

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 12:32:21 am »
Just went and looked at Arctic, we were overall pretty impressed. Here are some takeaways and questions:

The Forever Floor was great, they pitch this as a complete solution that removes the need for a concrete base. They said basically dig a base area out, pack tight with leveled mason sand and put the tub down. Sound accurate?

My understanding is that many spas can be installed this way.  While doing my homework, I have spoken with several contractors that do this kind of work in my area.  The additional cost of making the pad from concrete is minimal, and helps keep the spa free of sand and debris.

They also won me over on their insulation, which places all the foam on the outermost layer just inside the wooden cabinet, thus locking the heat generated from pumps, etc inside and letting it conduct through the fiberglass shell into the water, rather than the sprayed on foam coating the shell and or wrapped around pumps and pipes like most of the others... Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Several that I have looked at do the "air" chamber insulation method, most do full foam.  As best I can tell, as long as you are looking at a premium brand, they all work.  I work in the auto industry, and I can tell you that unless the air temperature inside the "air chamber" is greater that what your water temp is, then there is no real gain.  Again, this only holds true in the premium brands.

The Onzen sounds very promising, basically a new system that uses salt to generate chlorine on its own, combined with a higher end ozonator. Sounds like the part to replace the consumable in the ozonator is expensive though. Also I wonder how much they charge for the salt that needs to be put in up to twice a year. Seems like you could save a lot on chemicals though by paying a little extra at the beginning for Onzen.Thoughts?

Dont know what salt generator salt costs, or if their salt is special for the tub.  How often is the "consumable" in the ozone to be replaced? is it expensive?  Chemicals are not all that expensive so I dont know that you would save "a lot" or just a few bucks a month.

I love the look of the cedar cabinets, but I'm not so high on the idea of staining them. They said stain twice a year. Sounds like a pain in the ass. How much does that cost in terms of stain? To get the "faux wood" its a $250 option.

I am not a diyer so I have no desire to stain.  I would buy the fake wood.

The Jets seemed to protrude out, which surprised me, I wouldn't know if they felt uncomfortable until a wet test.

I would do a dry test also.  Take off your shoes and hop in.  If the jets stick out and hit your back dry, they will do it wet as well.

Overally nice tubs though.

They were nice when I looked at them.  I had a few concerns that led me away...
http://www.arcticspas.com/downloads/warranty/Arctic%20Spas%20Warranty%20English.pdf

Many of their warranty items do not include labor costs.  So if your other components, or your cabinet need attention, the labor, while under warranty is on you.  
The cover warranty does not cover normal wear and tear.  Not sure what that means, but its a three year warranty, and if it fails becasuse you used it, its not covered?
Too much DIY on things like Union Connection leaks

The big one for me in Disclaimers,  Arctic spas warranties are limited to the maximum amount of monies recieved by Arctic spa with respect to the sale of the spa.  Meaning if the dealer paid $1000 for the tub, Arctic does not have to honor the warranty after they have spent $1000 in repair costs.

No ones warranty in this industry is perfect, and the sames holds true in the Auto industry.  I hope the informaiton is useful.  I have been looking for quite a while, and I have learned a lot.  Happy Hunting.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2008, 12:43:01 am »
Too much DIY on things like Union Connection leaks

If the dealer tightens them on delivery, you should not have any problem. However, if one of the unions begins to leak, it is very easy to simply reach in and tighten it. OK, on some models the reaching it is not so easy, but it's not a big deal. Usually it can be simply hand tight - that is what they are designed for - but if you have to go a bit more a hammer, or a scrap of wood can be used to tap it.

I know that some companies will fix these things and not charge, which is fine. But this is not a real common problem, nor is it a big deal if it does crop up. We have unions on our tubs, and I can't even remember the last time one leaked and caused a warranty visit.

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

spaman--

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2008, 01:11:53 pm »

The exact reason that you wet test any spa that you buy, the seats in any spa can be comfortable for some and uncomfortable for others.  Doesnt mean its a bad spa, just not for all.  Of course ALL of spamans spas he sells or services, fit Andre the Giant and Spud Webb all at the same time!!!

O.K smarty ;) when you go into a pool and lay on your back, what happens? You float! when you go to the steps and sit streight up what happens? you are not near as likely  to float as your lungs are vertical not horizontal, you certainly have more control over your body in the water when you sit vertical.. Try it!

Now take a spa with a lounge that the lower lumbar forces your rear end forward and lungs horizontal in the water. Muscular people have a little more control in this condition but not much. Anyone with even a small amount of fat will absolutley float in this scenario! You can not deny this fact! This is the reason almost the entire industry has gone to seats and lounges that sit you streight up. Take a look at the major brands out there! Seats are designed vertical not horizontal.

Wet test!

And yes I have a model for everyone! :)

Now all this talk about Arctic has made me hungry for Dominoes.
-SpaMan~

Summitman

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2008, 01:18:31 pm »

O.K smarty ;) when you go into a pool and lay on your back, what happens? You float! when you go to the steps and sit streight up what happens? you are not near as likely  to float as your lungs are vertical not horizontal, you certainly have more control over your body in the water when you sit vertical.. Try it!

Now take a spa with a lounge that the lower lumbar forces your rear end forward and lungs horizontal in the water. Muscular people have a little more control in this condition but not much. Anyone with even a small amount of fat will absolutley float in this scenario! [glow]You can not deny this fact[/glow]! This is the reason almost the entire industry has gone to seats and lounges that sit you streight up. Take a look at the major brands out there! Seats are designed vertical not horizontal.

Wet test!

And yes I have a model for everyone! :)

Now all this talk about Arctic has made me hungry for Dominoes.

I will deny your alleged "fact", because its not a "fact", its your opinion.  I have tested the Klondiker personally, and have witnessed many customers wet test it as well.  Most that test and want a lounger absolutely love it!  I guess next time anyone engineers a spa they should fly it by the National Spaman and Pool Institute since you know it all!   Carry on, obviously you have personal interest against Arctic.  Stay classy spaman, Im sure you dont want to make anyone mad, you need a new spa line for next year!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 01:18:52 pm by waylon33 »

spaman--

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2008, 01:26:27 pm »
Nope, I have the spa line that I have stood by for years. Arctic plays no role here. The local guy who sells Arctic here use to work for us, while he was here he spent alot of time putting comparative notes on the company computer. In his own words I can show a customer why my tubs are better. This guy even went as far to put his name at the bottom of his notes. If Arctic did not change their designs they would sit on the floor and not be sold on a floor that I worked. I cannot sell if I do not believe in it!

Ask around you will see.
-SpaMan~

Water Boy

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2008, 01:30:37 pm »
Sounds like your salesman left to go sell a better spa. Can't say I blame him. Smart man!

spaman--

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2008, 01:33:29 pm »
Sounds like your salesman left to go sell a better spa. Can't say I blame him. Smart man!

He is a genius!
-SpaMan~

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2008, 01:33:29 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42