What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Marquis or Hot Springs?  (Read 26893 times)

BDSC

Marquis or Hot Springs?
« on: September 26, 2011, 08:11:53 am »
This is my first post after hanging out on here for awhile and reading up on things. This seems to be a great website and I have learned from it. So my wife and I are seriously thinking of buying a hot tub/spa and I'm pretty sure I have at least narrowed it down to either a tub from Marquis or Hot Springs. The two local dealers in my area (Wake Forest, NC) have been in business for many years and have a good reputation for customer service so I feel good about that. I don't think I can go wrong with either of those dealers or tub brands.

As far as the size of hot tubs go, I'm not looking for a big party tub but not looking for a two person tub either. The two tubs that have caught my attention is the newly redesigned "Reward" made by Marquis and the "Aria" made by Hot Springs. I have wet tested neither at this point and have not really negotiated on any price although if I remember correctly the "Reward" with all the bells and whistles went for around $8700 at the local homeshow this past weekend.

So I guess my question in all of this is, if you had to choose between a hot tub made by Marquis and Hot Springs, which would you choose and why? Is there any feature or features that would lead you to one brand over the other?

Thanks in advance for any feedback you can help me with!

BDSC

Hot Tub Forum

Marquis or Hot Springs?
« on: September 26, 2011, 08:11:53 am »

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
Re: Marquis or Hot Springs?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 12:38:21 pm »
I have a Marquis tub, that I purchased in '05.  When the shell started crazing (fine lines that appear as cracks in the shell), they replaced the whole tub. That was in '08.  So as far as the warranty, Marquis has been excellent. I have not paid for anything as far as service either. (I probably just jinxed myself..lol). I have the Epic, and it has been economical to run and a very good therapy tub. The dynamics of my family situation has changed since I got the tub and perhaps now I would op for a smaller tub. The one thing that my family of 4 liked about this tub was that we could all sit comfortable without touching each other. The footwell is large in the Epic.

I know, from being on her for so long, Hot Springs is an excellent company and you will not go wrong with one of their tubs. You will find many Hot Springs dealers on this forum but as far as I know, Marquis has no representation here any longer.

So I would say find the tub that suits your needs best. Look at the warranties and get a comfort zone from the dealers. Perhaps talk to other customers, if possible. The dealer is definitely as important as the tub manufacturer for the customer. You have the good fortune to be selecting from two excellent brands. 

The most important bit of advice, and you will hear it repeated over and over on here...WET TEST..go and try the tubs that you are considering.  You are also in a good position to negotiate a good price if you find comparable tubs between the manufacturers. When I got my tub the dealer was willing to give me the latest show price, which was less than the showroom floor price.

Good Luck  ;)

Support your dealer so they can support you!

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 06:08:24 pm »
So I guess my question in all of this is, if you had to choose between a hot tub made by Marquis and Hot Springs, which would you choose and why? Is there any feature or features that would lead you to one brand over the other?

I'd lean toward the Hot Spring since it has the 24 hr circ pump which I consider to be an advantage for noise, ozone use and energy efficiency. However, both are very good options so don't feel like advice here will help you avoid a flat out mistake. Go with whichever you feel in the end is the better choice for you.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

BDSC

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 05:08:28 am »
Thanks for the replies so far!

I just keep reading and reading and it does seem both are fine companies that stand behind their products. Will probably go the to local Hot Springs dealer this weekend and take a closer look at the Aria and see what kind of pricing they are going to offer. Maybe the eventual wet test will help in making the final decision.

colo_artist

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 07:02:11 pm »
I bought a new Marquis Wish 6 months ago. No regrets whatsoever. It's a great spa.

Before that one I had an aging Saratoga Spa. It had a circ pump that ran 24-hours. Over the years I had to replace the circ pump a number of times. Longterm, it was the weakest part of the system...so I'm not a fan of circ pumps. Of course that was on an older spa. YMMV.

Without a 24-hour pump the Wish is dead quiet when it's not doing a cleaning cycle. The cleaning cycle only uses one of the main pumps, which has plenty of power to move a bunch of water through the dual filters. Although it's a main pump it's quiet. The spa is in the deck...only about 5' outside of our great room. Even when the house is quiet, I can't hear the pump run.

Also, there are a number of detractors for the Frog system. When I bought the spa I decided to try it for a year before switching to something else or not. So far, I'm happy with it too. The Wish, with the Frog system, and without a circ pump, has crystal clear water all the way to the time I change the water (every 3 months).

When you do wet tests. Check not only how the seating positions and jets feel, but also how the controls work.

Best o' luck with it.

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 10:04:36 pm »
I completely agree with you, Colo...my Epic is very quiet also.  I have been running it in Economy mode with no problems maintaining temperature or problems with keeping the tub sparkling clean. I run it in Economy mode even throughout the winter... I remember when I was having an issue with high electric bills (very long story which ended with the culprit  being my well pump), the rep from the electric company tried to tell me my tub ran ALL the TIME..No, I tried to explain...my tub only runs during 2 filtration cycles (one of which is only an hour long). Then I realized she was talking about tubs with circ pumps, which apparently are more common.

I also use the spa frog and have found that because my tub often may go for several weeks with no use, it is the best system for me. ;)

dodgyswa

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 10:05:46 pm »
Another very happy Marquis owner here too!... Just got the Marquis Mirage in August and couldn't be more pleased!.. I agree with (and love) the Frog system. Crystal clear water, with little maintenance other then occasionally adjusting the PH. and also agree with the pump being very quiet!... but again, it's all about what feels good to you.. wet test!.. Good luck and Happy Soaking!

robmet1015

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 08:21:15 am »
Some other variables to throw in the mix with the Hotspring tubs is the Ace system they offer.  I have had my new 2011 Vista for 1 month now and I opted with the ACE system.  This system creates its own natural chlorine using a very small amount of salt in the the "soft" water.  No need to add chemicals except ph down during first week or two.  I have tested my water every other day and it is perfect and clear.

The circ pump it has uses 40 watts, if that...and constantly maintains movement in the water and ensuring it is clean and filtered.

"No bypass filtration" is probably my biggest reason for chosing the Hotspring.  I like the fact that that no matter what is running all the water is filtered.  My tub has 5 ceramic filters - two on each pump and 1 on circ pump.  They are extremely easy to clean and can last five years.  Just put in dishwasher once a month with no soap.

Just my 2 cents on the purchase.  I spent 4 months and looked at a dozen different brands.  

The biggest and most important aspect on your purchase is to make sure you can trust your dealer and rely on them for support.

Goodluck.

BDSC

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 11:22:38 am »
Again many thanks to all who have posted and I hear what folks are saying about having a good and respected local dealer. I know the Marquis dealer is a family owned business and have been in business since 1972. The Hot Springs dealer has also been around for a number of years as well so I feel really good that either brand I go with I'll have the needed support.

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 11:48:24 am »
You are really in a great position..you won't go wrong with either company...just wet test and pick the tub that suits you best...  ;)

hotubhotub

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 12:02:42 pm »
We are looking at the Hot Springs Aria too. If I understand you correctly, you can get it for $8,700? I ask because we were quoted $9,400 for the same thing, with cover, stairs, etc....

BDSC

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2011, 12:05:06 pm »
It was the Marquis "Reward" that was right at $8700 or close to that. It did have the upgrade lights and sound system at that price. I have not been quoted a price on the Aria yet.

d00nut

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2011, 05:43:37 pm »
I prefer the circ pump personally.  I also own a Hot Spring Vanguard and it rocks.  I'd be very impressed if you got the Aria for the price that the dealer quoted you on the Marquis though.  I wouldn't expect them to go that low.

ejf The Spa Guy

• THE SPA GUY
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2011, 10:01:26 pm »
Both brands are very good , you cannot go wrong with either,,, I do like the idea of the 24/7 circ pump, and i sell both styles of operation of pumps. 24 hour circ pumps and the systems that run 2 hours every 12.. I am not a fan of the salt systems.  the Marquis uses 2 filters, the Hot Springs will have 5, The Marquis uses the vortex skimmer,but if you think about it when you turn on your sink or flush the toilet what does the water do it vortexs already,,, they do not use a floating skimmer.  But the biggest thing between them is the dealer themselves you are buying from. Are they reputable, How ia there service, do they have lots of referals, do they do there owns deliveries and service,,,,,,
Falcos Home Resort award winning hot tub retailer,

BDSC

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2011, 04:21:21 pm »
So I went today to look at an Aria but they didn't have one in stock but have one on the way. I did however learn a lot about the Hot Spring hot tubs and I was quite impressed. No doubt they have one of the best in the industry. I was quoted a price of $9700 and that would include all the usual like a top, chemicals, etc. It did not include the built in music system with speakers. I think they said that was an $800 to $900 option. So to compare apples to apples with the Marquis which had the music system, you're looking at about $10,500 for the Aria compared to $8750 for the Marquis. Now I didn't really get into negotiations yet because I'm waiting for a check from a land sale. Before I try and bargin a little I want to be able to sign my name on the dotted line when I walk in and let them know I'll buy today if the price is right.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2011, 04:21:21 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42