What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: CALSPAS what you think  (Read 34988 times)

Vanguard

Re: CALSPAS what you think
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2006, 02:11:33 pm »
GE motors are not great motors.  

Opinion....everybody has one.
 [glow]Find someone in the pool and spa industry other than Cal that doesn't agree[/glow].

There is a reason you don't see them on pool installations.

Ummmm there couldnt be a million other reasons now could there?
[glow]Yes, and the main one is quality[/glow]

Companies like Pentair and Hayward will not use GE.  I get that direct from a person in management at Pentair.

Oh well that settles it then!....LOL
[glow]Find one pump manufacturer in the pool industry that does use GE motors.  You can't.  You'd think that at least one would use them.  What other hot tub mfg uses GE?  I haven't seen one.  It is due to quality.  GE does some good things.  Make a good motor for pumps like these?  Have never seen one and I've been around this for a long time.[/glow].

they are inferior in quality, customer support, warranty support to their dealers, etc. to companies such as Sundance, Hot Spring, D1, etc.

Not in my experience at all, in fact they have been wonderful!
 [glow]Ask the many Cal Spa owners who have had problems.  Just check[/glow]     http://www.ripoffreport.com

And that may be one reason they are building huge new plants to build more tubs....again they must be doing something right.  
[glow]Okay, so they built a bigger plant.  I don't think they come close to maxing it out.  Good for them to plan for the future.  They did something right.  Just hope they can support it.  Only time will tell[/glow].[/b]

I wouldn't trade my CalSpas tub for any other brand.
[glow]Nobody is asking you to trade it in.  I do, sincerely, hope you get years of use out of it.    [/glow]  

« Last Edit: November 04, 2006, 02:26:24 pm by aquatub »
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2006, 02:11:33 pm »

In Canada eh

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2006, 02:47:43 pm »
BTW....Cal Spas are the only tubs in the industry exclusively powered by GE Motors.

Zep

Don't take this the wrong way because I like your tub, I think the stone exterior really looks good.  The only thing that stopped us from taking a better look at Cal Spas was that the local dealer has a very bad reputation.
But the thing is, Vangaurd and others are right, GE does not have a good reputation for thier small hp. motors and I 'm kinda shocked that Cal would hype the fact that they use GE motors

Just my opinion
Bullfrog 451

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2006, 03:28:37 pm »
Find someone in the pool and spa industry
other than Cal that doesn't agree.

Oh yeah....Like I am gonna really go round up a bunch
of people in the industry to comment on a MB.

Yes, and the main one is quality

Uh no....maybe thats your opinion again.
I will go with billion dollar GE instead of mb poster...but thanks anyway.

Find one pump manufacturer in the pool industry that does use GE motors.

I dont have or want a pool!

What other hot tub mfg uses GE?
 I haven't seen one.  It is due to quality.

No it's due to exclusive agreements.
Sometimes companies sign exclusive agreements so they can be the only one to offer certain products.....it happens in many industries.

GE does some good things.
Oh really?....Wow now thats very profound!
I guess billion dollar GE does do something right.....lol

Make a good motor for pumps like these?  Have never seen one and I've been around this for a long time..

Well since only CalSpa uses the GE motor how do you have such a VASSSSSSSST amount of knowledge about whether GE is such garbage as you claim? Do you own a CalSpas tub?

Ask the many Cal Spa owners who have had problems.  Just check     www.ripoffreport.com
And you ask people like shown below that own the GOD ALMIGHTY OF HOT TUBS that we must NEVER EVER speak ill of in here......hey there are complaints about all tubs.....my problem is people like you only want to highlight the negatives of CalSpas while silent about any problems with brands like HotSprings.....does Hot Springs EVER EVER EVER make a lemon?.....Has there ever ever ever ever been a Hot Springs customer that thought Hot Springs sucked?
Problems with Hot Springs Spa
by stkt ,Oct 01 '06
Pros: Great when it works
Cons: Not reliable, company does not have replacement parts even under warranty

We have the Vanguard model spa, one year now. The remote panel failed three months ago. The dealer said there were no parts, everything was on back order. We waited a month to get the spa repaired under warranty.

The new panel operated for three weeks, then failed again. The dealer said "They have a problem". It has been a month now and we still don't have it fixed. The dealer said they don't know when Hot Springs will have parts again.

http://www.epinions.com/hmgd-Pool_and_Patio-Pool_Equipment-Spas-All-Olympic_Classic_Hot_Tub/display_~reviews

Hot Springs Landmark Spa

by rogersmith ,Sep 18 '06
Pros: ABSOLUTELY NONE, A real piece of JUNK!!
Cons: OVERPRICED, POORLY MADE INSIDE & OUT! EXTERIOR IS DELAMINATING (CHEAP REDWOOD)

I purchased mine at the end of the year in 1998, the first one Clover Pools in Rochester NY installed had function defects and they were good to come and bring me a second one. That leaked real bad and they brought me a third one, which also had bad leaky plumbing. The forth one (all within the first week) seemed to be okay, except the front door or cover was delaminating....so they brought me a new cover. All was fine for the first couple of years, until most all parts were out of warranty, then it was one problem after another! Their repair man was their only bright spot, he knows what he is doing! I'm sure he gets much experience (unlike the Matag guy!)This year I just paid another $422.00 to replace the heater! I just noticed a big crack in the white coping to add insult to injury! I should have returned the first one and bought ANYTHING but a HOT SPRINGS! (That originally cost $6500.00) Was told it was the TOP of the line!!! All I can say is stay AWAY!!THA

http://www.epinions.com/hmgd-Pool_and_Patio-Pool_Equipment-Spas-All-Olympic_Landmark_Hot_Tub/display_~reviews

Hot Spring landmark Spa
by f4180 ,Jun 14 '05
Pros: Looks like a quality spa
Cons: Front cabinet door poorly attached

Read the owners manual before you buy. They disclaim a lot of things from their warranty.
My 2001 model lasted 4 years til it developed internal leaks because the front cabinet door is poorly attached and chipmunks come and go and chew away at the insides of the spa. Big mistake to buy this spa and the manufacturer has an attitude problem.

http://www.epinions.com/hmgd-Pool_and_Patio-Pool_Equipment-Spas-All-Olympic_Landmark_Hot_Tub/display_~reviews

Hot Springs does not stand behind warranty....after less than 30 days
by crlsn ,Nov 08 '05
Pros: This is a nice tub if you didn't have to worry about the warranty.
Cons: Company does not stand behind their warranty!!!!

My husband and I recently purchased a hot springs spa. We spent over $10,000 on it and after only two weeks, one of the straps that holds the cover on, snapped while putting it back on. The strap clearly showed that 3/4 of the strap was never stitched in. One of the representatives that was sent to our home agreed with that, but still Hot springs(Watkins Manufacturing Corporation) will not replace the cover. It would cost us another $430 to replace the encasement plus $65/hour for installation. I would never recommend buying a hot tub from this company if they won't stand behind their product better than that. We had the tub less than 30 days and already it is a nightmare. Please do your research before purchasing...we were told the cover had a two year warranty...so read the very fine print. It is only covered if you also purchase their pricey retractable.

Vanguard

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2006, 03:52:42 pm »
Starting to think you work for Cal Spas or are a dealer, Zep.  

Guess I hit on a nerve.  Why pick on just Hot Spring?  Oh, no other manufacturer has EVER had an issue I guess.

You are right, this is my opinion.  Yours is yours.  I'll stick with my Hot Spring because it would be a cold day in H*** before I bought a CalSpa as I'm sure it would be before you bought a piece of junk, overpriced Hot Spring.

Oh, and most manufacturers don't warrant chipmunk damage, I believe.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2006, 03:58:23 pm by aquatub »
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

Silent Water

• 2006 Sundance Bahia
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2006, 03:53:29 pm »
Since we're having a pissing contest... watch:

[glow]I can write my name in the snow![/glow]
...because integrity's the key

tileman

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2006, 04:02:59 pm »
You guys both need to give it up! You're obviuosly not gonna change eachothers feelings. As long as you both like YOUR spa who cares?

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2006, 05:05:48 pm »
Starting to think you work for Cal Spas or are a dealer, Zep.

LOL......Not hardly....but thanks for the compliment.

I have never worked for, invested in, or had any member of my family or friends work for a spa/hot tub company.

It is not a business I would have any interest in working in....they earn their money!

My passion is just that I love my CalSpas tub and will sometimes defend it against an almost non-stop bashing in here whenever the name comes up.

Guess I hit on a nerve.  Why pick on just Hot Spring?  Oh, no other manufacturer has EVER had an issue I guess.

Look at your posting name....hello?

That actually is my point. All brands have or have had problems....but we sure don't hear about those problems every time that particular brand comes up...BUT more often than not...everytime CalSpas comes up we always hear the negatives

You are right, this is my opinion.  Yours is yours.

LOL.....hey we agree on something!  ;)

I'll stick with my Hot Spring because it would be a cold day in H*** before I bought a CalSpa as I'm sure it would be before you bought a piece of junk, overpriced Hot Spring.

2EachHisOwn.....Except I do not think Hot Springs are junk or over-priced by
any means and it wouldn't have to be a "cold day in...." for me to buy one.

CalSpas was just right for me this time and plus in my mind
"all things being equal" I just absolutely love the look of the
CalStone siding/cabinetry.

But who knows one day I may decide to buy a Hot Springs or
Sundance tub or whatever brand fits my needs at the time. My brother
has a Sundance and loves it.

LOL......Uh?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2006, 05:07:46 pm by Zep »

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2006, 05:13:10 pm »

LOL......Uh?

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

For some reason this just cracked me up!

Ya'll go forth and be kind to one another. :)

Your friend,

Terminator
« Last Edit: November 04, 2006, 05:13:34 pm by East_TX_Spa »
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

bwbski22

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2006, 07:55:17 pm »
wow i will say that the"Cal Stone cabinetry " is the ugliest spa i have ever seen.  

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2006, 12:07:58 am »
wow i will say that the"Cal Stone cabinetry " is the ugliest spa i have ever seen.  

I personally really like the stone cabinet look. It would look great in my backyard....
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

apple-picker

« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2006, 03:14:09 am »
Hello, I'm the new guy trying to mame decisions on what tub to purchase. Looked at the Cal's today for the first time. They had  a new model Atlantic that is not in the brochure yet but sure made a hit with my wife and I.
We both felt the sales person was on board to our needs.
This tub is supposed to be a custom with lot's of +++++s.
But now after reading the messages of HS vs. CalSpa I'm even more confused.

Pathfinder

« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2006, 10:35:18 pm »
There is no need for confusion    if the the Atlantic has impressed you and your wife and cover all of your wants and needs in a tub    dont worry about  the ney sayers who have nothing better to do with there time.

HS is a very good product  but if your looking at an Atlantic there will be no other model in their line up that will give you the options you are looking at  and the best thing with the classic Atlantic is customization.

If you look at who is being negative they arent in the spa industry,  dealers,reps,& other professionals wont start bashing someone elses choice bc its a little thing called TACT

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2006, 12:31:19 pm »
... and the best thing with the classic Atlantic is customization.

I've avoided this thread but the point above I think is where Cal Saps has had their issues. Most spa companies make about 10, 12 or 15 models and each model is made a certain, repeatable way. They zero in on a process and build thousands of spas one after the other, all alike. Cal Spas has decided to try to be everything to everyone and literally has about 90 models and lets customers/dealers customize the spas in a multitude of ways. They loose repeatability in their spa making process by way of this and I'm convinced this has been a PART of their past/present Quality problems (you can argue whether they are past or present issues, that's not my point). I think it's a very bad decision to let customers and dealers decide which jets go where or how many jets the spa gets, etc. I'd want a spa that had a very specific jet/equipment/plumbing diagram that was tested for plumbing, pressure and flow optimization with all of that model built that same way. If I'm on the production floor and a spa comes through to be built I should be able to build it in my sleep (well maybe not when it's new which is why people always say don't a buy a new car in the first couple months of it's introduction). I shouldn't have to look at some shop order or some special instructions to figure out exactly how that spa needs to be built.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2006, 05:47:11 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Pathfinder

« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2006, 07:10:10 pm »
A very valid point  to which I wont make any sort of BS retort  bc I personally would like to see Cal dump quite a few models and condense a few lines   with the  preliminary info I have recieved so far for 07  and also just adding the Avalon line.

But the only series in Cal that you can customize is the Classic series  all other series are what you see is what your getting with exception to lighting and stereo packages
« Last Edit: November 06, 2006, 07:10:48 pm by Pathfinder »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2006, 10:43:43 am »

But the only series in Cal that you can customize is the Classic series  all other series are what you see is what your getting with exception to lighting and stereo packages

Now if they can knock their models offerings down from 90 to 15 they'll be taking another good step.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2006, 10:43:43 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42