What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Factory Direct:  What does it mean?  (Read 44192 times)

MarKee

Re: Factory Direct:  What does it mean?
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2006, 11:32:51 pm »
I work at a Marquis factory store, but we don't market ourselves as being "factory direct".  I do explain to customers that we are backed by Marquis Corporation and it's parent company Wexco, therefore we have a significant financial backing and will always be in business to service them and their spa.  We are the retail location for Marquis in the Salem/Portland area in Oregon...so when people come to the factory looking for a spa, they are referred to our stores.  Our prices are usually not any better than an independent Marquis dealer on the east coast, we are an example for most Marquis dealers of how our spas can be sold.  We do have a factory outlet store in Salem that has a reconditioned units that have come back from the field, that is the only store we market as "factory direct reconditioned spas".

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2006, 11:32:51 pm »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2006, 03:02:45 pm »
we are backed by Marquis Corporation and it's parent company Wexco,

I thought Marquis was employee owned, I hadn't heard of Wexco.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2006, 03:28:39 pm »
It is Employee owned...they were owned by Wexco but it was purchased from them sometime ago....

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2006, 05:35:25 pm »
THEY ARE THE MIDDLEMAN.  WE ARE THE MIDDLEMAN.

But we don't claim that you'll save thousands of dollars by buying from us.

Anyway, life's good around here so I guess it doesn't really matter much in the overall scheme of things. :)

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2006, 06:35:50 pm »
I do know not I guess it how you look at things...I think most of here purchase our chem's though a distributor not directly from say Leisure time as example to me that is a middle man but I think most of us buy our spas Factory direct...I think it is misleading in the way this dealer is promoting it.....or I guess if we are the middleman we are the first middle with spas and the third or fourth with other things..... ;)

MarKee

« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2006, 01:44:43 am »
Wexco is a conglomerate of 5 pool and spa related corporations.  Every employee of these 5 companies is an employee owner.  Marquis Corp. is the largest of these 5 companies.

Mendo:  Why don't you get your chems from Dynamic Solutions?  

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2006, 03:06:29 pm »
Wexco is a conglomerate of 5 pool and spa related corporations.  Every employee of these 5 companies is an employee owner.  Marquis Corp. is the largest of these 5 companies.

Very interesting, I'd heard that you guys were empoyee owned but I always assumed that Marquis was owned solely by the Marquis employees. I didn't know they were part of a larger organization. What are some of the other 4 companies, are they well know at all?

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
Re: Factory Direct: ?What does it mean?
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2006, 04:15:50 pm »

Very interesting, I'd heard that you guys were empoyee owned but I always assumed that Marquis was owned solely by the Marquis employees. I didn't know they were part of a larger organization. What are some of the other 4 companies, are they well know at all?

Yes, I agree with Spatech. This is very confusing. I thought Marquis was an Employee owned company myself. It sounds good anyway.  :)
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

DPS

• The light was yellow, sir
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2006, 05:17:57 pm »
Marquis Spas employees have nearly finished purchasing Marquis from Wexco.  Other Wexco companies include Foxx Pools and Quaker Plastics.

MarKee

« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2006, 02:01:36 pm »
Marquis is 70% employee owned and in the process of acquiring the final 30%.  Marquis has been a part of Wexco since 1985, but Wexco changed to an ESOP around 1999-2000.  Some of our sister companies include:

Foxxx Pools - http://www.foxpool.com/
Pen Fabriactors - http://www.penfab.com/
Quaker Plastics - http://www.quakerplastic.com/

DPS:  If I'm not mistaken, even after the final 30% purchase, Marquis will still be a part of Wexco.  The 30% that is not currently employee owned is held by private investors.

Hill_Billy_hottub

« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2006, 11:35:34 am »
I buy my vegetables from a frarmer with a road side stand, corn, tomatos, green beans and more, and his wife makes jellies and stuff, THATS factory direct!

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2006, 11:39:41 am »
I buy my vegetables from a frarmer with a road side stand, corn, tomatos, green beans and more, and his wife makes jellies and stuff, THATS factory direct!

and employee owned.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2006, 03:12:43 pm »
So, if the factory is owned by the employees, that means they are shareholders. And as the company gets bigger, there are more shareholders. Those shareholders want the company to be profitable.

So how is that different than other corporations?
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2006, 03:22:37 pm »
Babies are usually  "factory direct"

;)
07 Caldera Geneva

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2006, 03:29:21 pm »
Don't some of ya'll sell Artesian?  I heard their ad again and it said "One of the largest Artesian Factory Direct Outlets in the nation".

Are any of you folks that sell Artesian factory direct?  Are ya'll one of the largest factory outlets or are you one of the middlemen, like us?

If you are one of the middlemen, do you lose many sales to your factory direct associates who are selling wholesale?

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2006, 03:29:21 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42