What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Am I unreasonable?- Newest Update- must read!  (Read 96997 times)

Anoroc

Am I unreasonable?- Newest Update- must read!
« on: April 14, 2006, 12:06:46 pm »
I just came back from my dealer and I let the sales person know that I am very dissatisfied with my 6-month old spa and that I would like to trade it in.

Since November they have replaced the control board twice, the little display shield that shows the temp settings, and now they have to replace all of my diverter valves (threes small ones and the large main diverter valve).  

I let them know that I received a lemon and although I think HS makes a good spa, in my case it did not.  I asked that they treat me better than the average guy looking for a trade-in because of my specific problems with this tub.

Even the Service manger said it has been nothing but problems from the beginning.

So- am I being reasonable in asking for them trade my spa back in for something else?  In addition- I paid $4900 plus taxes so what is a reasonable amount for a trade in for this 6-month old spa given my circumstances.

The sales person says she will speak to her boss who is in for two hours today and than get back to me.

How would other dealers handle this situation.

Thanks in advance for your comments :'(
« Last Edit: April 20, 2006, 08:46:52 pm by anaroc »

Hot Tub Forum

Am I unreasonable?- Newest Update- must read!
« on: April 14, 2006, 12:06:46 pm »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Am I unreasonable or What?- What would you do?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2006, 12:30:12 pm »
I just came back from my dealer and I let the sales person know that I am very dissatisfied with my 6-month old spa and that I would like to trade it in.

Since November they have replaced the control board twice, the little display shield that shows the temp settings, and now they have to replace all of my diverter valves (threes small ones and the large main diverter valve).  

I let them know that I received a lemon and although I think HS makes a good spa, in my case it did not.  I asked that they treat me better than the average guy looking for a trade-in because of my specific problems with this tub.

Even the Service manger said it has been nothing but problems from the beginning.

So- am I being reasonable in asking for them trade my spa back in for something else?  In addition- I paid $4900 plus taxes so what is a reasonable amount for a trade in for this 6-month old spa given my circumstances.

$4900.00

07 Caldera Geneva

water@104

• Sitting here doing what i do best!
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2006, 12:33:26 pm »
if that was me, i would just want a new tub!!!!! you have had it for only 6 months and you have had that much trouble with it, just think what might happen down the road after the warrenty runs out. I would push for a new one. just swap them out.

Snowbird

• What did he say?
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2006, 12:41:43 pm »
The dealer will incur some costs so you should be able to apply whatever you paid for the bad spa towards the purchase of another spa, provided he doesn't jack up the price of the new spa.  That way it is a neutral deal for all concerned except the factory who should get it back and reimburse the dealer.  After all they were the ones who let an inferior product go out the door.
The World Champion Pittsburgh Steelers

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2006, 12:55:19 pm »
The sales person says she will speak to her boss who is in for two hours today and than get back to me.
Thanks in advance for your comments :'(

Here is one thing I look for in a dealer, regardless of the product. If someone says, I'll get back to you, I expect a call within 24 hours (or a working day) , even if its a sorry,we can't do anything for you call.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2006, 01:05:20 pm »
Haul the spa down to the front of the dealership, get a megaphone and start ranting and raving to draw a crowd, then perform self-immolation with the spa.  That's what I'd do (if I were you).

Terminator
« Last Edit: April 14, 2006, 01:05:59 pm by East_TX_Spa »
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

orlandoguy

• all you need is tub
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2006, 01:57:05 pm »
Term's advice is the best so far.  The sqeeky wheel gets the oil as I recently learned and this forum is a great place to be sqeeky, although if you mention the brand, you may get a few dealers of that brand working really hard to discredit your discontent and you may find others of the same brand very eager to help.

anne

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2006, 02:05:50 pm »
I dont think you are being unreasonable at all. If the product has been repeatedly defective, then getting you into a new one should be obvious. I dont think that I would be asking to "trade in" your currrent spa- that implies a used product that you have grown out of and are wanting to upgrade. I would be asking for a full refund (and then that $ can go to a new one), or an exchange. It may just be semantics, but it is important that everyone realize you have a warrantied item not up to par with expectations.

If you do not hear from the boss by tomorrow, I'd be finding regional HS management and getting "squeaky."    
Dance like nobody's watching

Anoroc

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2006, 02:57:59 pm »
Thanks for all of the responses.  

I just received a message from the sales person who said Jeff (not sure who he is never met him) wants to get the Factory involved.  Jeff has placed a call into the factory and will follow up on Monday.

The sales person who left me the message said that HotSprings corporate wants to take care of their customers and so do they (local dealer) so they will take care of me.

At this point I do not know what "taking care" of me means?!

I guess for now I just sit back and wait till Monday.

I would be extremely happy with my a $4900 credit towards my next tub.  I seriously doubt they would just refund my money.

anne

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2006, 03:13:24 pm »
I would be extremely happy with my a $4900 credit towards my next tub.  I seriously doubt they would just refund my money.

Agreed.  I probably should have said "credit" not "refund." I would not expect cash back, but I'd expect the full amount towards a new tub- either replacement of the same type or credit towrds something else.

Sounds like you are off to a good start!
Dance like nobody's watching

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2006, 03:16:10 pm »
Thanks for all of the responses.  

I just received a message from the sales person who said Jeff (not sure who he is never met him) wants to get the Factory involved.  Jeff has placed a call into the factory and will follow up on Monday.

The sales person who left me the message said that HotSprings corporate wants to take care of their customers and so do they (local dealer) so they will take care of me.

I guess for now I just sit back and wait till Monday.

I doubt they will refund you cash too.

Wait till monday and see what they are willing to do.  They may just surprise you. Let's hope so.  :)

I don't think you should lose anything for getting what appears to be a facotry reject.  If they do offer a full trade allowance, you should be careful to watch what the charge you on the new tub. (no inflating the price to cover thier loss).

Would you consider a replacement Jetsetter?
07 Caldera Geneva

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2006, 03:46:13 pm »
Anoroc, Just from personal experience, the first thing that I would tell you to do is to document everything.
Write a letter detailing every problem and how the problem was resolved. When you have to repeat the problems over and over to different people, inevitably details get lost.  I have also found that I can rationalize much better on paper if I am upset. Since you have been dealing with issues for a while, I would be sure to include all the info that the dealer gave you about how hard the parts were to get. If you are going to send your letter to the company, be sure to copy the dealer.
And Term, your idea about returning the tub...I was only 20 years old with my first new car...I started complaining to the dealer because of the many many problems I had with the car, when he didn't listen, I tried GM..and they didn't pay attention until I told them I was returning it to the showroom...via the big window in the front!  ;D
Support your dealer so they can support you!

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2006, 03:58:08 pm »

The "Customer Service" Squad is on it's way from California.  Better say your goodbyes to your loved ones.

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2006, 04:00:55 pm »
Since the dealer is looking into it ... let them. If it's not to YOUR satisfaction then get HS involved.

I agree with bonibelle, document everything and try to get what they are going to do in writing.

Every so often a "problem" product arrises and sometimes the right people don't know about it. If the right people do something , then it becomes a non issue. Unfortunately sometimes people don't let those people know about it until it becomes a really big deal.

Good Luck!

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2006, 04:25:14 pm »
IMO (and I'm more unreasonable than most, I guess), I'd say they should offer to pick up the defective unit and replace it with an identical (but fully functional) tub, no charge to you. OR, give you the option before cementing that particular deal, to use your total purchase price toward a higher priced tub......either way, you got a lemon, and are simply looking to not get screwed.
If not......I kinda like Term's idea combined with Boni's.....get a megaphone, a 200+ pound bald guy doing jumping jacks in the tub.....and add Mr. Bubble, all right in front of the showroom. THEN....let the dealer know that the clothing will come off as the bubbles start forming.....and they will NOT be replaced, until you have IN WRITING a satisfactory deal.   ;D ;)
Good luck! (I'll be watching this thread to see how HS deals with this one.....)
RIP C-Rod

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2006, 04:25:14 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42