General > Beating a dead horse

Those with home show questions...Heres your sign!!

(1/27) > >>

stuart:
We just finished a Home show....Sold about 50K in product but took a beating in attitude.

I've noticed that people get more volatile year by year. We see the same people show after show asking the same questions.

Here is a little summary of the weekend questions.

Customer:  “So your shirt says Marquis, that sign says Dimension One and your hat has your store name...I'm confused. What company do you work for?”
Me: “All of them....Although looking at how your dressed I was wondering if you where in marketing or did Tommy Hilfiger, Nike and Budweiser con you into paying top dollar for the right to advertise for them?”

Customer:  “How many jets are in this spa right here?”
Me:  “How many jets were you looking for?”
Customer; “I'm not sure, but I think I need at least 50.”
Me:  “What would make you think around 50 is good?”
Customer; “Most of the spas we've seen have about 50.....”
Me:  “Did you know that every jet requires at least 3 plumbing joints? If you could get a great massage with half as many jets would you be happy?”
Customer “Naw, I really think I need 50 jets but thanks....”

C: “How come you don't have prices on all of your spas so that we know how much they are? That’s really stupid.”
M: “What are you looking to spend on a spa?”
C: “Oh, we not going to buy one...we live in an apartment.”
M: “Well let me let you in on a little secret....We don't show pricing because it could be depressing to you to know that for pocket change you could own a spa if you could only afford a house. That would just be cruel....”

C: “Where are your spas made?”
M:  “Depends on the brand...Are you looking for a spa?”
C: “Yes but we want one made in a cold climate like this so we know it will handle our weather....”
M: “Really, so you talked to the Arctic factory guys did you?”
C: “Well....yes...how did you know?”
M: “Did you know that Columbia ski jacket your wearing is made in Malaysia? It can't possibly be warm in cold weather can it?”
C: “…..yes…Well, do you have to use chemicals in this spa?”
M: “Only if you want to keep the water clean and keep the spa from deteriorating! So I take it you talked to the Hotspring guys to?”
C: “Um..Yeah…they said that they don’t use any chemicals….”
M: “Did they say they didn’t use chemicals or that they didn’t use Bromine or Chlorine.”
C: “I don’t remember…”
M: “All spas use chemicals…Sounds like you’ve been fed a lot of lines of BS would you like some honesty and common sense about spas?”

She bought two spas…!!

Here's the best one...
C: "We have a 6 year old CalSpa"
M: "Oh really? How is it holding up"
C: "Great, never had a bit of trouble with it!"
M: "Really? Say, have you had your pump seals checked?"
C: "Oh we replaced both pumps twice"
M: "...but never a bit of problem?"
C: "Nope been great! New heater really works well!"
M: "You had to put a new heater in?"
C: "Yeah, they replace that every once in awhile along with the circulation pump."
M: "Wow, I'm glad it's held up so well...."
C: "Yeah, we might be talking to you in a couple of years though...I just noticed some little cracks in the shell"
M "hmmmm, but it's held up for you good?!"
C "YEP!"

I could not begin to tell you some of the stupid questions, angry remarks and lies I heard….

Two questions I have are:
Why is it that the guy that always interrupts a presentation with a good prospect has no desire to buy a spa nor the resources but wants you to answer a question for his girlfriend right then?

Is there a group of people or club that swings by the home shows and drop their small children off to be entertained in the spa booths while they go grocery shopping?

Oh last but not least….
I could see most of the other booths and saw no one writing deals, in fact I saw salespeople outside smoking or setting around in the booth yet they all claim to have written over 20 deals! What a talent! It takes us working with the customer for 45 minuets to an hour and setting at the table writing for at least 30 minuets!

drewstar:
Home shows....

Well as a consumer who goes to these trying to get info and see who has what,  Sometimes I feel like a piece of raw meat in the lions den.   LAst year I needed windows.  Good lord. I heard so much B.S and was harrassed by vendors....it was nuts.  This year I need to do a bathroom and am looking at getting some info on a pool.  have mercy on me.

So if a forlourn customer happens by with a wild look in his eye and is a bit defensive, have pitty on him. Give him a free magnet     ;D

Spatech_tuo:

--- Quote ---Home shows....

LAst year I needed windows.  Good lord. I heard so much B.S and was harrassed by vendors....it was nuts.  ;D
--- End quote ---

This is a case where I would defintely go with the thermal pane type.

drewstar:

--- Quote ---
This is a case where I would defintely go with the thermal pane type.
--- End quote ---

yes. I am regretting my full foamed window decision.  I blame the vendor who had the bikini clad window model and free beer.   :-[

salesdvl:
Thats funny.  I remember years ago telling customers that the only reason the Thermo pane story exists in windows is because you cant see through foam.!  If they could invent a perfectly see thru foam, all windows would be foam filled and not sealed air.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version