What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Trying to sell HotSpring Vanguard (2001) that came with the house  (Read 5345 times)

topspincharlie

I know nothing about hot tubs and stumbled upon this web site when trying to figure out how much to offer for the hot tub that came with our newly purchased house.  We have a newborn and unfortunately don't have much time for another diversion, although we have really enjoyed it the few times we've actually had a chance to use it.

Is $2000 a fair price for a 2001 vanguard that was kept in perfect condition and comes with the cover, decking, etc?  Does anyone have any suggestions on where I should post the ad for this spa? Is anyone in Maryland looking for a nice used spa? :)

Here is my listing:
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/for/2575872526.html

Hot Tub Forum

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Trying to sell HotSpring Vanguard (2001) that came with the house
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 06:38:24 pm »
You say its in good shape but the words means little. Its VERY important that a prospective buyer is able to inspect it filled, up to temp and running. You’ll find many of us here tell people not to even think about buying a used spa unless they can see it fully operational no matter what it looks like or what promises are made. That will go a long way toward selling it. I would fill it and retake the picture with it full and mention in the ad that it is "fully operational and ready for your inspection".

While “Condition” is the #1 thing on older spas and that is a good brand known to hold up well over time, $2k is a little high being a 10 year old spa but "$2k OBO" as you have listed may entice people to check it out but they’ll want to bargain. The wrap around "decking" may be enticing to some people but I'm not sure it adds too much value though it may help move it. I think you need to be ready to take the “OBO” part seriously. Plus, moving a spa can be a pain for the buyer so keep this in mind if you get an offer like "$1200 and we'll take it away tomorrow".

Craigslist is a place where you'll get the most eyeballs looking at it. I'd give that a shot.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

topspincharlie

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 01:51:21 am »
Thank you. I wish I had come to the forum yesterday because I just drained and flipped the breaker yesterday.  Doh! I'm more interested in having someone take it, so i'll take your advice and lower the price.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 10:57:32 am »
Thank you. I wish I had come to the forum yesterday because I just drained and flipped the breaker yesterday.  Doh! I'm more interested in having someone take it, so i'll take your advice and lower the price.

I'm not saying you are crazy high and if you put it too low people will think you're trying to sell junk. If its really in good shape and full working order maybe your price is fine. In that case I would refill it, retake the picture with water in it (show the empty picture too since it highlights a clean shell, just add the filled picture) and add a reference like "Excellent working order, ready for your inspection" which lets them know they're not coming to see a big pile of junk. If getting it out of the way is the #1 goal I'd probably tweak the price ever so slightly to "$1900 OBO".
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 10:57:32 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42