What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Re: Re: Re: Re: Thinking out loud  (Read 5596 times)

spiman

• Tub is in!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!
Re: Re: Re: Re: Thinking out loud
« on: March 02, 2006, 06:37:18 am »
After spending a couple of hours reading this thread yesterday, here comes my 2 cents worth straight from Richard Cranium.........................as my little woman calls me............ :o

While in the process of rebuilding my house last year, I was checking out several different methods of insulation and here is what I found out......

Full foam closed cell insulation in the walls = R value 30+
Full foam closed cell insulation in the ceiling = R value 40+

1" thick foam sprayed as a sealer + fiberglass bats over the top of it in the walls + Celatex on the outside = R value 26

Blown insulation in the ceiling 14" thick = R value around 40

I am not a rocket scientist but the numbers speak volumes as far as I am concerned and would think the same would hold true for a hot tub 8)
Have at it!

Hot Tub Forum

Re: Re: Re: Re: Thinking out loud
« on: March 02, 2006, 06:37:18 am »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Thinking out loud
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2006, 11:01:20 am »
Since we are in the dead horse section, I have no second thoughts about beating this issue.   The insulation issue is one that I personally have a lot of interest in.  Anyhow, I agree with you.

Foam insulation works.   If you want to retain heat in a vessel of water, foam simply works the best.  It works 24/7 and doesn't require maintianing a heated air barrier.  

The problem I have with TP tubs is they willl always rely on aggresive use of the pumps. Proponents of TP claim this as a virtue, I feel it's a limitation.

The percieved edge of TP tubs is since it's reclaiming the heat off the pumps it's a "better" system.  

Better how?

I have yet to see any defintive proof that TP is cheaper to run than FF.

it's not more efficent.

Requiring pumps to run several times a day  will become even more cumbersome as  we seen improvements in water care as  improved heater efficenties.

Air is not a better "insualtor".

TP needs to run hot pumps several times a day to maintian the heated air barrier.   The heated air will always be in a state of balanceing either between the water shell or the outside cabinet.  Air has very little insualting abilities (as in R values) It can heat AND cool quickly.  IE; Air  does not reatin heat very well.

If you want a quiet, trouble free tub with great heat retention abilities, FF  is a simple choice.

07 Caldera Geneva

Hot Tub Forum

Re: Thinking out loud
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2006, 11:01:20 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42