What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Are you people worth $10?  (Read 20259 times)

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Are you people worth $10?
« on: January 06, 2006, 08:28:13 pm »
I've been hearing about the Remodeling and Landscaping show at the convention center this weekend.  They mentioned top brands spas will be there.  Tonight I heard a radio commercial promoting just the spa part, featuring 7ft spas starting at only $999.  I've heard about some of these shows and thought at first there might be some major brands from local dealers here, but now I wonder.  I called the number on the radio commercial - 1 800 SPA SALE.  The guy who answered gave me the answers to my questions about time and cost of the show, and then asked me if I was in the market for a spa.    Are you guys worth me spending $10 to check this out?

Since I am not in the market for a new spa maybe I could save some of you who are suseptible to high pressure types and let you know what is going on.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2006, 08:43:45 pm by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

Are you people worth $10?
« on: January 06, 2006, 08:28:13 pm »

socal

• so it begins
Re: Are you people worth $10?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2006, 08:33:52 pm »
did the person you spoke with give names to the "top brands" you heard on the commercial??
Marquis dealer

J._McD

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2006, 08:42:04 pm »
don't let me bust your bubble, and hold on to your socks, does Master Spas ring a bell.  Call the guy back and ask if you can speak with Tim. ;)

Do you recognize the number?  Now I have to go and see.  The last time I was in the Master dealer here in town, I was talking about our forum and what was said about Master shows as mentioned here, and he told me how they never have participated in those.  If I can talk the queen into it, we will go.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2006, 08:46:25 pm by wmccall »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2006, 08:43:22 pm »
Can't you write this off on your next expense report to WTBHT?
220, 221, whatever it takes!

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2006, 08:48:48 pm »
did the person you spoke with give names to the "top brands" you heard on the commercial??

I didn't want to stay on the phone any longer than I had to.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

J._McD

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2006, 09:44:16 am »

I didn't want to stay on the phone any longer than I had to.

Bill, your power is amazing, you increased my message content with your response.

The 800 number is the clincher, the lead up to the "remodeling and Landscape" show that is mentioning the presence of "top brand spas" is a dead give away and makes me immediately suspicious.  It's kind of a columbo thing, nobody in the country advertisins a "top name brands" spa show other than MS.

We have collectively authorized your expenses for your attendance at the show only if you take notes, act as a serious buyer and report back on your findings.  If you choose to take the Queen Bee along, this will be at your expense but will ad to the legitimacy of the shopping venture.  Tell here not to blow your cover though, these boys can be pretty blunt. ;)

You may even see Tim there, 5'8", 230 lbs, black hair, round, rolly polly face, answers to "slick".

Maybe, they will even offer you not only a fantastic deal, but a cash rebate as well.  ;)

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2006, 10:26:01 am »
JMcD is correct....

It is a typical Master show pushing you to buy only one brand.

mjb

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2006, 11:13:14 am »
Please go, I would like to get your humble
opinion on the spa show.
I went yesterday.  However I could not stomach
much of it and left fairly quickly.
Plus I thought that maybe they were on to me
shopping them.
Mike
All Seasons Spas
ps. visit me at the store and I will comp
your entry and parking with product.

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2006, 12:11:55 pm »
I ain't worth 10 cents...but go and report back.  Take a camera and get pictures.  That'll really get them riled up!

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2006, 01:14:39 pm »
When I was first looking, I heard about this wonderful show in Philadelphia so I sent my friend who was also looking for a spa(I had a conflict that day and couldn't go). She ended up buying a Down East spa under tons of pressure from these guys. Her 6'2 husband likes the spa but at 5', there isn't a seat that she is comfortable in. They didn't even think about wet testing. I think these are the types of people that MS targets and gets their sales from. I keep avoiding having her over because I don't want to show her what we finally bought, since I sent her to that stupid home show in the first place! :-[
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2006, 01:30:14 pm »
I think in Biology we found out we're worth about $1.95 in minerals! I'm a big guy so maybe for me, it's $2.10. But then I'm overweight so maybe it's $1.62 ...

Any Biology majors here, mine was E.E.!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2006, 01:30:52 pm by Vinny »

J._McD

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2006, 02:37:21 pm »
Please go, I would like to get your humble
opinion on the spa show.
I went yesterday.  However I could not stomach
much of it and left fairly quickly.
Plus I thought that maybe they were on to me
shopping them.
Mike
All Seasons Spas
ps. visit me at the store and I will comp
your entry and parking with product.

Mike, I had a similar experience and was "shadowed" all the time I was there.  It seems like they ave been prepared with pictures of salespeople in the industry.  They probably took the pictures when they shopped you in your store.  They have been trained to be a cross section of a blood hound sniffer with the tenacity of a pit bull.  They can sniff out someone that knows too much real quick.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2006, 08:51:28 pm »
Well, we went.  We did enjoy the Landscaping and remodeling show, that was worthwhile. We were thinking of doing some work in the bathroom.  There were a few other booths of the typical crap you see at fairs like vegtable slicers, back massagers and what not. They did have these microfiber miracle floor mops, I would have been skeptical, but Gina has used them at work and says they are good, so we bought one. Our favorite salsa maker was there to so we stocked up.

After all that, I wasn't up to playing with salespeople so I walked through the spa area with the "looky-loo" attitude and was left alone.  I don't have the commercial recorded, but from what I remember of it, I'd call it complete fraud. (I'm going through my DVR from this week)  Now, if I didn't see the commercial and I wandered into the show, I would have been interested to look at Master/Downeast spas.  I actually saw several I would would consider. Had they marketed this as Master being a part of the show I would call this a good thing.  I can't remember if the commercial said "all the top brands" or 16 of the top brands." Hopefully I will see the commercial (or hear the radio commercial before the show ends tommorow.   Of course there was Master/Downeast.  There was a couple of Hawkeye Spas, a few Outback spas (never heard of that one) and I think it was Pinnacle spas? That is all I can remember.  (When shopping with my wife, my brain goes into protective shut down mode)  But the commercials at best were intentionally deceptive, total fraud at worst.  

Ironically this wasn't the only BS fraud show I went to today.  I went to a "Super Golf Sale" put on by
Bluestar promotions of Minneapolis. I still have that commercial.  They said the first 200 visitors each day get a certificate for  a custom fit Titanium driver.  They also said they had Nike golf balls for a quarter.  They didn't have any balls at less than $9 a dozen and the certificate was for a rescue club for which you have to pay $29.99 shipping and handling.  I've filed a complaint with the Ohio AG on that one.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2006, 08:59:59 pm by wmccall »

J._McD

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2006, 09:21:51 pm »
Bill, did you see anyone from the local dealership there, or did you ask?  Other than that, pretty much what we expected eh.  Sorry about the $10 and the parking too. ;)

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2006, 10:05:35 am »
Bill, did you see anyone from the local dealership there, or did you ask?  Other than that, pretty much what we expected eh.  Sorry about the $10 and the parking too. ;)

I didn't see anyone I recognized from the local store, but I only know a couple.  The show was worthwhile for us for the rest of it. We got some leads on bathroom remodelers.   Last night while watching SNL, I did see the commercial again and it clearly stated "16 of the top spa manufacturers"  and I can only remember about 5 manufacturers and it might be a stretch to call Hawkeye one of them. (In terms of sales)   Once again, I'd have not been unhappy seeing Master's options at this show and if I was in the market for a new tub for the first time I think I would know who the top manufacturers were, but I have to call the advertising fraudulant.  I may stop in the Master Dealer this week, or email them perhaps.

Gee, I might have to move this thread to the beating a dead horse section  ;D

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2006, 10:05:35 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42