What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Beating a dead horse  (Read 18929 times)

Kyle

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Beating a dead horse
« on: November 11, 2005, 08:16:23 pm »
Why are Hot Springs & Marquis one of the only manufacturers to state energy consumption in writing on their web sites?  I haven't seen any TP manufacturers post anything.  I know a manufacturer who had their TP tested and never released the results.   :-X  Hmmmm?  Eventually the tested truth will come out.  

Hot Tub Forum

Beating a dead horse
« on: November 11, 2005, 08:16:23 pm »

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
Re: Beating a dead horse
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2005, 11:25:33 pm »
Simply put I have had it explained that it is because they are the only companies that have subjected themselves to a governmentally approved research studies like Energy Wizard and Energy Guide instead of paying an independent company to come up with the answers they wanted.

My guess is that you will soon see spas rated and regulated as appliances and all be required to meet the same standards for energy testing.

I also believe that due to unjust temp regulations being recommended you will see much of the industry pull away from UL.....

rocket

• Life is good!
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2005, 11:29:06 pm »
What unjust temp regulations?

stl-rex

• Arctic Tundra Owner
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2005, 12:01:03 am »
LOL - have you read the reports?  
The Hotspring test is based on a measly 115V spa with weak pumps used for a grand total of 1 1/2 hours a week with the jets on in a controlled environment and no lower than 50F.
Sure the Marquis shows more models, but it's going in an environmentally controlled chamber and it goes no lower than 50F also.  The jump between 50F and 70F is substantial.  I wonder what 30F looks like?

They only cost pennies per day - sure at 70F.  What about at 20F or 30F?

It seem they reported only the results that looked good for them against no one else.

These results are no more proof of anything than the ARC results, which also were independent by the way and had to be performed in a controlled environment.  From what I've seen, ARC is a respected institute.  Unlike these tests, the ARC took into account that in some places, it gets below 50F.  

I'm really not sure what the purpose of the statement by Mr. Kyle was other than to see how quickly his post could be moved into BADH.  You know you could have accomplished it just as fast by placing Arctic in the title. ;D

« Last Edit: November 12, 2005, 12:14:26 am by rexspent »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2005, 12:11:20 am »
They only cost pennies per day - sure at 70F.  What about at 20F or 30F?

It jumps to nickels.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

stl-rex

• Arctic Tundra Owner
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2005, 12:28:32 am »

It jumps to nickels.

Pennies was a sarcastic quote off the Marquis website.  0.80/day for the Epic at 50F with a grand total of 1 1/2 hours per week of use equates to more than pennies/day.  If these are so called govt numbers for spa energy use and they are as accurate as fuel economy estimates for cars, assume a higher cost of use, especially if you are in it more than 1 1/2 hours/week.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2005, 07:05:54 am »
Why are Hot Springs & Marquis one of the only manufacturers to state energy consumption in writing on their web sites?  I haven't seen any TP manufacturers post anything.  I know a manufacturer who had their TP tested and never released the results.   :-X  Hmmmm?  Eventually the tested truth will come out.  

Who cares!!!!
Retired

marks

• 2005 Beachcomber 580
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2005, 09:37:52 am »
Being a consumer and not a dealer, this parallels my hot tub buying experience.  Each manufacturer has some kind of gimmick, each one claims to have this or that better than the other.  Most of it is just misinformation.  Why to some manufactures list horsepower as BHP (breakdown horse power) vs. HP.  I caught this reading about the spas but I bet it fools most consumers.  Some manufactures pay for a “Best Buy” tag from Consumers Digest magazine.  What would be nice is a review by an independent publication like Consumer Reports.

Backpains

• proud owner of a Coleman 461
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2005, 09:45:15 am »
Ok my two cents! For those of you that are lerking and shopping for hot tubs. Remember 1 ultimate thing and your shopping experience will be a little easier.

1......ALWAYS WET TEST!!!!!!!! Wet testing gives you the feel for the tub..play with the buttons, the diverter valves and the air valves (if it's got any). This is CRUCIAL to buying a hot tub, you wouldn't buy a car without test driving right?

Other than that, take in what you want with these dealers...use this site for some ultimate questions and what to look for don't let the dealer dominate the onversation ans always ask questions when your unsure!

Hope this helps.....Happy Shopping!

hymbaw

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2005, 10:34:43 am »
All I know is that when I built my house I told them to leave the walls empty.

I figured that heat will be "trapped" between the drywall and the vinyl siding.

Plus, if i need to do any repairs to my electrical, I won't have to dig through all that insulation.

Michigan winter coming, wish me luck!!!
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2005, 11:12:32 am »

Plus, if i need to do any repairs to my electrical, I won't have to dig through all that insulation.

Amen!

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

ssbraun

• '05 Maxxus
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2005, 11:23:23 am »

Thinking back to a few winters ago when I spent much of Nov/Dec. in Port Huron (same year Sarnia, Ontario mall collapsed)...Good Luck!!

hymbaw

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2005, 11:30:30 am »

Thinking back to a few winters ago when I spent much of Nov/Dec. in Port Huron (same year Sarnia, Ontario mall collapsed)...Good Luck!!

Not the prettiest part of our state. I'm sorry you had to go through that.

As far as weather, things don't get too bad around here until Jan./Feb. so you missed the fun stuff!
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

cappykat

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2005, 02:12:15 pm »
I'm not an engineer...but I know in Florida with the heat we wouldn't think of not using insulation.  Is it that different with the cold??  I just can't imagine not using insulation...doesn't your code/inspection require it??
« Last Edit: November 12, 2005, 02:12:59 pm by cappykat »
2005 Marquis Epic

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2005, 02:30:55 pm »
I'm not an engineer...but I know in Florida with the heat we wouldn't think of not using insulation.  Is it that different with the cold??  I just can't imagine not using insulation...doesn't your code/inspection require it??

He's scratchin' your leg, cappykat.  A lot of people have been doing that lately, except for me.  I'm a Southern gentleman. :)

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2005, 02:30:55 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42