Brand Specific Forums > Marquis Hot Tubs

First Hot Tub (Marquis Reward 2006)

(1/3) > >>

nj:
Hello all. I am new to the forum and by way of introduction, married, 4 kids ranging from 14-6 (all of whom are very excited about a new-to-us hot tub). We are having a new deck built, and as part of it decided to have a hot tub built in. After reviewing this site and others, we decided to stay away from the "brand new 50+ jet hot tub for under $3000!!!" ads on craigslist and ebay and look for gently used better brands. I was able to find a 5 year old Marquis Reward hot tub locally that looks to be in great shape. New ozonator and head rests. Cabinet in decent shape, interior looks good. Everything seems to be working. No evidence of leaking. It was recently emptied so we couldn't wet test, but the seller is a local business owner and has warrantied the unit to function properly.

I called the local hot tub dealer to inquire about service, chemical needs, etc. They seemed to suggest that Marquis was not a top-tier brand, but "ok". I think this may be some sour grapes that I didn't purchase a new 8-10K tub from them. However he suggested once it is set up and filled to bring him a water sample so he can suggest what chemicals i may need to add. The owner told me with the ozonator he never needed to add chemicals? Not sure how exactly to proceed on this, as the shop (East Coast Leisure) basically told me ozonators are worthless and more harmful than good??

I guess I need help on what exactly to do once it is hooked up, plugged in and filled. Also some reassurance that Marquis is a solid brand. Any suggestions on where to find an owners manual for a 5-year old Marquis, or any other advice for a newbie in my situation. I paid $2,000, which includes delivery to my home which is approximately 45 miles away.

Thanks in advance.

nj:
OK, did some research on my own and found many answers to the above. Found the manual on line. Found info on chemical, decon, etc.

What I still need help with is whether I should decontaminate it before using or not. The tub is to be delivered late Monday. I am having company over on Thursday and would like to have it ready to use by then. Do I have enough time? Also still curious if this is a reasonable deal for this tub.

wmccall:
Welcome to the forum.  It looks like you have done a great job so far.  As not not needing chemicals with an ozonator that is just plain garbage. Do you have any chemicals you are starting with? I would take the owner up on the offer to test the water, but if you have a sanitizer, dichlor or bromine, I would add that to the water.

wmccall:
The pricing does sound reasonable. As for decontaminating, I'm not sure, you could hit it with a heavy does of chlorine if you have it and it will probably be down to a reasonable level by Thursday. Do you have a test strip or other way of measuring santizer level?

nj:
Thank you for your reply. I am planning to head to the local spa store and purchase a test kit at the same time as i drop off the water sample. I currently don't have anything as far as chemicals and this is my first tub so it seems a little overwhelming, especially as its a used tub and I don't have a salesperson to rely on to get me up and running. I have read horror stories of people who were just relying on ozone and ended up with serious medical problems, so I do want to do this right. The tub is clean (on the surface) and was in use, so I don't think water has stagnated in it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version