What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: First Hot Tub (Marquis Reward 2006)  (Read 12242 times)

nj

First Hot Tub (Marquis Reward 2006)
« on: July 22, 2011, 07:06:26 am »
Hello all. I am new to the forum and by way of introduction, married, 4 kids ranging from 14-6 (all of whom are very excited about a new-to-us hot tub). We are having a new deck built, and as part of it decided to have a hot tub built in. After reviewing this site and others, we decided to stay away from the "brand new 50+ jet hot tub for under $3000!!!" ads on craigslist and ebay and look for gently used better brands. I was able to find a 5 year old Marquis Reward hot tub locally that looks to be in great shape. New ozonator and head rests. Cabinet in decent shape, interior looks good. Everything seems to be working. No evidence of leaking. It was recently emptied so we couldn't wet test, but the seller is a local business owner and has warrantied the unit to function properly.

I called the local hot tub dealer to inquire about service, chemical needs, etc. They seemed to suggest that Marquis was not a top-tier brand, but "ok". I think this may be some sour grapes that I didn't purchase a new 8-10K tub from them. However he suggested once it is set up and filled to bring him a water sample so he can suggest what chemicals i may need to add. The owner told me with the ozonator he never needed to add chemicals? Not sure how exactly to proceed on this, as the shop (East Coast Leisure) basically told me ozonators are worthless and more harmful than good??

I guess I need help on what exactly to do once it is hooked up, plugged in and filled. Also some reassurance that Marquis is a solid brand. Any suggestions on where to find an owners manual for a 5-year old Marquis, or any other advice for a newbie in my situation. I paid $2,000, which includes delivery to my home which is approximately 45 miles away.

Thanks in advance.

Hot Tub Forum

First Hot Tub (Marquis Reward 2006)
« on: July 22, 2011, 07:06:26 am »

nj

Re: First Hot Tub (Marquis Reward 2006)
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 10:46:34 am »
OK, did some research on my own and found many answers to the above. Found the manual on line. Found info on chemical, decon, etc.

What I still need help with is whether I should decontaminate it before using or not. The tub is to be delivered late Monday. I am having company over on Thursday and would like to have it ready to use by then. Do I have enough time? Also still curious if this is a reasonable deal for this tub.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 10:58:59 am »
Welcome to the forum.  It looks like you have done a great job so far.  As not not needing chemicals with an ozonator that is just plain garbage. Do you have any chemicals you are starting with? I would take the owner up on the offer to test the water, but if you have a sanitizer, dichlor or bromine, I would add that to the water.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 11:00:18 am »
The pricing does sound reasonable. As for decontaminating, I'm not sure, you could hit it with a heavy does of chlorine if you have it and it will probably be down to a reasonable level by Thursday. Do you have a test strip or other way of measuring santizer level?
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

nj

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 11:25:36 am »
Thank you for your reply. I am planning to head to the local spa store and purchase a test kit at the same time as i drop off the water sample. I currently don't have anything as far as chemicals and this is my first tub so it seems a little overwhelming, especially as its a used tub and I don't have a salesperson to rely on to get me up and running. I have read horror stories of people who were just relying on ozone and ended up with serious medical problems, so I do want to do this right. The tub is clean (on the surface) and was in use, so I don't think water has stagnated in it.

rick_in_cleveland

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 12:57:55 pm »
Marguis is a top tier brand.  I have a 2006 Reward and I'm thrilled with it.  I think I would fill the tub, maybe add some chlorine, for sure  add some Swirl Away, let it do its thing.  Empty and refill.  Have fun

SurgTec

• Up to my neck in hot water!
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2011, 08:20:33 am »
I have a 5 year old Marquis Quest - they are very good, reliable hot tubs.  I use the 'frog' Bromine and Mineral cartridges - the in-line holder built into the shell (top loaded).  Since you are buying a 'used' tub and don't know how well it has been maintained -I agree that a fill / shock / swirl away (pipe cleaning solution) and drain is a good idea.  Refill with fresh water, add a start-up shock treatment and you are in business!  I don't add my cartridges to the 'feeder' until the spa reaches temperature.  Another suggestion - any bathing suits that are going to be used in the spa need to be well rinsed out in clear water before going in the spa - most have detergents in them that will make your spa water foam up.  Same deal for 'bathers' - they need to wash off sun tan oil, make up, shampoo, lotions, etc...  All that 'gunk' will cloud up your water in a hurry. 

nj

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 11:47:30 am »
Hello all. Spa was delivered yesterday. Electrical being hooked up today. Some depressing news and a prime example of buyer beware on Craig's List. When I got the spa home and exposed the pumps/control panel, I wrote down the serial number and emailed it to Marquis so I could get the right owner's manual. All of the pics on the site of older (05, 06, etc) spas didn't quite look like mine. Mine is not an 0-anything. It is a 99 spa, sold to me as "a 5-year old spa".   :-[ I contacted the seller and he said, well I bought it form East Coast Leisure in 05--I have no I idea when it was built".

Not sure how to proceed. Everything was working at his house. I will know later today if everything is functional at my home. Kinda disappointed that I just dropped 2 grand on a 12 year old tub...but don't want to go through the hassle of trying to return the tub and get my money back.

I really hope I can get a few years out of it and if we use it and enjoy it, then spend the money on a new premium tub in the future.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 12:17:32 pm »
Its certainly a cautionary tale. In retrospect you should have written those serial numbers down and checked before you bought but at this point your best bet may be to see if its operating well and if not plan to return it to him and tell him you want your money back or its small claims court. That seller may not have known exactly what year it was when he sold it to you BUT if he says he bought it in '05 he certainly knew it was used when he bought it so he certainly was lying though his teeth when he told you it was 6 years old since he bought it used 6 years ago.

Criaiglist is always a crapshoot.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

nj

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2011, 09:25:50 am »
An update on my saga.  Well we had our contractor wire up the electrical for the hot tub, and somehow he managed to "confuse" the wires and put a hot where the neutral should be, so needless to say the tub didnt work. I was afraid he had fried the board, but basically just a fuse blown. Unfortunately, it was the soldered-on type fuse, so another complication. He was able to replace it and solder on another fuse and now the tub is up and running.

Everything seems to be working with the exception of 2 jets. These are not part of the same area, so not sure whats going on. Any suggestions would be helpful. Both pumps working fine, controls working fine, heater working well. No leaks. So all in all after some unexpected surprises and an incompetent electrician, we are good to go.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2011, 11:15:00 am »
An update on my saga.  Well we had our contractor wire up the electrical for the hot tub, and somehow he managed to "confuse" the wires and put a hot where the neutral should be, so needless to say the tub didnt work. I was afraid he had fried the board, but basically just a fuse blown. Unfortunately, it was the soldered-on type fuse, so another complication. He was able to replace it and solder on another fuse and now the tub is up and running.

Everything seems to be working with the exception of 2 jets. These are not part of the same area, so not sure whats going on. Any suggestions would be helpful. Both pumps working fine, controls working fine, heater working well. No leaks. So all in all after some unexpected surprises and an incompetent electrician, we are good to go.

Some jets turn on/off at the jet itself. Have you tried rotating the jet face. Is there a diverter in the spa?
220, 221, whatever it takes!

rick_in_cleveland

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011, 04:05:28 pm »
as you stand where the pumps are and you are looking at the tub (filters will be at 3 O'Clock) which jets aren't working. 

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011, 04:05:28 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42