What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Sleazy sales people  (Read 8015 times)

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Sleazy sales people
« on: September 22, 2005, 01:11:45 pm »
I've never met a sleazy spa salesperson.  In person at least ;)   I've said it before, I have no sales skills whatsoever and I really do have respect for people who can make an honest living at it, and I admire many of the salespeople/consultants we have here.

That said, the worst is the unsolicited phone sales people.  The Do not call list has stopped most of that, but today SBC uses the "previous business relationship" to call me and sell me their DSL service. Computers and internet are my livelyhood so I tried to spare the sales lady my wrath when she started.  I told her I was happy with my cable internet service, thank you very much.

But she was in a fighting mood! >:(  She said she could offer me their fastest DSL for $29.99.  I asked how long is that rate good for? She replied," 6 months".  I asked, "Then what does it go to?" Her comeback, "$59.99.  I replied, "I don't have to tell you where to stick that do I?"  Silence followed by a click.  ;D

My daughter was at her computer and overheard this. I think she was proud.  ;)
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

Sleazy sales people
« on: September 22, 2005, 01:11:45 pm »

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
Re: Sleazy sales people
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2005, 01:21:08 pm »
I'm proud of you, too.  There are few things in life more annoying than pushy salespeople.  I could probably sell more spas by calling people on the phone and pursuing more leads, but I'm of the opinion that if someone is interested in my product, they will come to me.  I'm sure this approach is not exactly considered to be a guerilla marketing technique, but my customers like me and I have a clear conscience. :)

Terminator
« Last Edit: September 22, 2005, 01:22:00 pm by East_TX_Spa »
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2005, 01:44:07 pm »
I'm sure you consider sending them that photo enough of a guerilla tactic.  ;)
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2005, 02:10:07 pm »
"I would be happy to listen to your sales pitch, but as you know time is money, and MY time is quite valuable to me. I currently charge $175 per hour with a 1 hour minimum for listening to sales pitches. I take VISA, Mastercard and AMX. I can also bill you through Paypal and you could call me back after settling the bill. Before you proceed with this call I will need payment. How would you like to pay for this today?"

Works EVERY time!  ;D
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2005, 02:33:03 pm »
I love seeing how long I can keep THEM on the phone.

I had a guy trying to explain to me how paying 3% for cash advances was BETTER than gettin 2% cash back on my other CC.

I also had a lady that told me I won a $500 shopping spree for only a $4.95 shipping charge.  I told her I would split it with her if she payed the $4.95

My favorite is putting my 3 year old on the phone with them.

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2005, 04:20:46 am »
I was called yesterday with some offer ....I politely expressed I had no interest ......they proceeded to tell me anyway and I asked had they had lunch yet...they said no....at that point I went into great detail about what I had for lunch than said, I have about as much interest in what you are offering as you do in what I ate for lunch.... :D :D
« Last Edit: September 23, 2005, 04:21:33 am by Mendocino101 »

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2005, 10:44:20 am »
Here's the new one in the last couple of years...

"Mr. Stuart, I represent Senator ________ and he has requested you as a local sucessfull business owner to set on a dinner council with him at $1000 a plate + any other donations you would care to support him with.

We truely need your valuable input as a business leader in the communitiy....How much would you care to donate!"

What's even worse are the ones that call with a recorded message. That really makes you feel important!

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2005, 11:05:33 am »
We truely need your valuable input as a business leader in the communitiy....

Wow, what an honor to know they value your input! Actually, I think they're more interested in your OUTPUT!
220, 221, whatever it takes!

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2005, 11:24:19 am »

Wow, what an honor to know they value your input! Actually, I think they're more interested in your OUTPUT!

They are ONLY interested in your output!!!

NE-Phil

• Marquis Reward '05
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2005, 08:43:34 am »
"I would be happy to listen to your sales pitch, but as you know time is money, and MY time is quite valuable to me. I currently charge $175 per hour with a 1 hour minimum for listening to sales pitches. I take VISA, Mastercard and AMX. I can also bill you through Paypal and you could call me back after settling the bill. Before you proceed with this call I will need payment. How would you like to pay for this today?"

I have just posted your reply by every phone in the house. For once, I am now looking forward to the telemarketer's call!
Thanks!

Phil
Not a mountain lake? Then it's still a chemical soup!

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2005, 10:40:06 am »
I have just posted your reply by every phone in the house. For once, I am now looking forward to the telemarketer's call!
Thanks!

Phil

I actually used it in one of my business training classes ;D It really is good

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2005, 06:54:21 pm »
Speaking of sleazy salesman, I got a kick out of the post at "you know who's" website entitled "An Affordable Alternative". The guy previously owned one of JA's rebranded spas but now was looking for a different brand and mentioned Arctic as a spa he was considering. JA normally touts Arctic as a very good spa (I'm sure they are overjoyed with that endorsement) but now had to term Arctic as "more expensive and less featured" than his Rolls Royce Spas. Then the next day he all of a sudden mentions some 2nd buyer discount that he obviously made up on the spot to try and salvage any hopes of a sale (as if he's ever had a return buyer, LOL). Tomorrow there will be another discussion of a new discount for Engineers who have previously owner one of his spas, ˝¶% off*.

*discount not applicable to any upgrades including: arm-and-a leg delivery charge,  DAIT Levels I-VII, Super Custom Ozone, extra thick aluminum foil insualtion, custom pressure treated "off-loading devices" or Warranty upgrade from level II ("you're on your own pal") to Level IV ("let me see if I can find a plumber in your area with the internet yellow pages").  
« Last Edit: September 29, 2005, 12:05:07 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2005, 01:43:04 pm »
Back to the topic at hand - how many of you have walk-in salespeople just show up?

Sitting in a retail store all day I get several per week. Biggest majority - advertising. And it's never just a local paper or something mainstream. I get crazy folk selling me the 'exclusive rights' to the inside of the doors of the toilet stalls at the local country club, or the signs on the shopping carts, or whatever.

And the local radio people can really be obnoxious.

>:( >:( >:(
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Wisoki

• YEEEEEEhaw
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2005, 02:06:46 pm »
Non stop. I just grin and let them go on and on and then after about 10-15 minutes offer to gladly take their information and forword it to our marketing department in our downtown store. Man are they bummed when they find out they just wasted that much time on someone who cant pull the trigger.  ;)

Back to the topic at hand - how many of you have walk-in salespeople just show up?

Sitting in a retail store all day I get several per week. Biggest majority - advertising. And it's never just a local paper or something mainstream. I get crazy folk selling me the 'exclusive rights' to the inside of the doors of the toilet stalls at the local country club, or the signs on the shopping carts, or whatever.

And the local radio people can really be obnoxious.

>:( >:( >:(

If you like it and you want it BUY IT!

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2005, 03:12:46 pm »

It's all in how you train them  ;D We get reps from EVERY freight company wihtin 100 miles. What started out as a joke, has become the norm.

Rep comes in, introduces him/her self. First words out of anyone's mouth, "do you have enough cookies for the entire office? We're very happy with our current carrier, but if you'd like to provide all of us with cookies, my boss might be willing to listen to you".

It really did start out as a joke. But now, there isn't a rep that walks through the door with at least 2 packs of cookies.......... But, we now have a new line for them.

"Cookies are good. But you know, when our current carrier made her first cold call on us she brought lunch for the entire office."

Still waiting for this one to pay off. Word though seems to have gotten around as about 75% of reps for other things now also bring cookies.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2005, 03:13:54 pm by lets »
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2005, 03:12:46 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42