What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Coast Spas  (Read 94764 times)

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Coast Spas
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2011, 04:05:18 pm »
Because of the shape of these tubs the cover is more complicated than usual, my is in three sections instead of the usual two and though shaped to match the tubs leading edge it doesn't quite give as good a seal as a traditional tub would,

Your are exaggerating my words about the seal and doing so to suit your argument here.

1) ???, I didn't exaggerate anyone's words, I did quote you but I did not exaggerate anything. I realize you love your tub and maybe you regret making an honest statement that did not reflect well on it but please don't try to put it on me as if I put words in your mouth or misquoted you.

2) Even if you hadn't made the statement above I had already had this opinion of designing tubs with non-flat surfaces and then trying to shape a cover that would not only fit it well when new but would hold its shape over time.

3) Relax, I’m not demonizing Coast, I'm just saying I don't like ANY brand/model spa that designs a non-flat surface to their bartop due to energy use concerns. Even then, I doubt my questioning of this will cause a major sales decline. Coast doesn't come up too often on this site and when they do I doubt you'll see evidence of me making any comment about them. I’m not a Coast basher, I'm just not a fan of their model(s) with an uneven bartop or anyone else's that may be like this. Just my opinion of course.

I'm sorry if you're unhappy that you slipped when you made that statement and I do not doubt how much enjoyment you’ve gotten out of yours so don’t take it personally.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 04:59:51 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2011, 04:05:18 pm »

ejf The Spa Guy

• THE SPA GUY
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2011, 05:37:21 pm »
Footie, Spa Goddess,
I am curious is there lighting on the vanishing edge to see the water flow over the edge in the dark?  just did not know if you can or cannot tell?
Falcos Home Resort award winning hot tub retailer,

footie

« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2011, 05:48:17 pm »
Footie, Spa Goddess,
I am curious is there lighting on the vanishing edge to see the water flow over the edge in the dark?  just did not know if you can or cannot tell?

Yes there is LEDs which do add to the effect when dark.

footie

« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2011, 06:18:39 pm »
1) ???, I didn't exaggerate anyone's words, I did quote you but I did not exaggerate anything. I realize you love your tub and maybe you regret making an honest statement that did not reflect well on it but please don't try to put it on me as if I put words in your mouth or misquoted you.

Yes I may have originally stated that I felt it didn't seal perfectly but I very quickly realised those words were not explaining what I meant by that which was why I followed up shortly afterwards with this comment

Quote from: Footie
Maybe I chose the wrong words saying it didn't seal well

and keep repeating that my tub's daily running costs is compatible with an equivalent HotSprings model.

You are correct in thinking I am very happy with my purchase, who wouldn't be, it's a fantastic tub with some brilliant jet combinations and a set of unique features that enhance the pleasure of taking a dip.

Jet Sitter

« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2011, 07:46:04 pm »
Spa goddess - thank you for your answer about why you have sold so many brands over the years.

spa goddess

« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2011, 10:57:31 am »
Response to if you can see the vanishing edge in the dark....

There are 4 possible lighting packages plus exterior lighting available on Coast spas.  I have never ordered in a negitive edge spa without at least the standard led package which does illuminate the spillover on both sides.  With the deluxe package it's even more lit up. 

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2011, 02:33:40 pm »

Yes I may have originally stated that I felt it didn't seal perfectly but I very quickly realised those words were not explaining what I meant by that which was why I followed up shortly afterwards with this comment

You're saying you misquoted yourself?? Really? I'm not sure how someone says their cover doesn't seal well only to recant and say they didn't mean it. Thats like sayiny my car has a broken window and then saying I was mistaken, its not broken. Kind of tough to mistake it. I'm imagining you felt like you betryaed your spa somehow and felt bad. I'm not sure why, owners of many brands will say they love their spa but they had "X" go wrong or if they could they'd change "Y" about it.

I'll leave it alone from here. I'm not trying to be like David who you have sparred with about your spa in the past. I have nothing to say about Coast really, my comments were more about a certain design idea that I think is shortsighted no matter who may use it and spoke my mind. I hope you continue to enjoy your spa.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

footie

« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2011, 03:52:30 pm »
OK, let me explain so everyone including yourself and hopefully you'll understand what I meant, the very leading edge at the front of the tub where it dips down has a slight gap at times and this is down to having 3 sections spread over a very big tub. When I close it over I need to check and sometimes reposition it so this front edge is sealing properly. Now this is obviously not going to be a problem with a flat lipped tub which is why I said it didn't seal properly in my original post, along with the fact that it weighs a ton due to it's thickness.

All things considered I think it's extremely efficient, it's got a front trough with it's waterfall which be all account should cool the water quicker than normal and yet it's as economical as any other tub which speaks volumes for it's insulation and everything else designed to save us money.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 06:33:07 pm by footie »

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2011, 05:38:06 pm »
So you have metered this tub?
Retired

footie

« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2011, 06:28:51 pm »

No I haven't, but I have compared my bill with my brother-in-law's bill who lives in the same town, uses his tub as often as I do mine but at a slightly lower temperature ( 38.5o vs 38.0o).

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2011, 06:12:56 am »

No I haven't, but I have compared my bill with my brother-in-law's bill who lives in the same town, uses his tub as often as I do mine but at a slightly lower temperature ( 38.5o vs 38.0o).

So you both have the same amount of electrical appliances running that are the same brand and size. You both have the same lights on all the time and everything? I'm sorry but until you meter a tub there is no way to do anything but speculate on what operating costs are.

So your assumption that your tub is just as energy effecient as some other tub is false. I'm just sayin.....
Retired

footie

« Reply #56 on: May 22, 2011, 08:43:13 am »
So you both have the same amount of electrical appliances running that are the same brand and size. You both have the same lights on all the time and everything? I'm sorry but until you meter a tub there is no way to do anything but speculate on what operating costs are.

So your assumption that your tub is just as energy effecient as some other tub is false. I'm just sayin.....

We are both basing these figures on previous bills at the same time of year but without the tub in those figures compared to bills at the same time with the tub. Yes I know there may well be differences between these two bills but that said both our two bills year on year per quarter were pretty consistent.

But if you want to be totally anal and isolete only the usage of the tub, then no I am only making a guess. You could question the differences in hp output of each brand's pump, whether all jets were on at each occasion, the wind conditions, the air temperature, etc, etc. You could definitely pull holes in my opinion but as I said it's a non-scientific comparison based on our experience. He's happy with his tub and I'm happy with mine.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 08:49:31 am by footie »

castletonia

« Reply #57 on: May 22, 2011, 12:21:26 pm »
Not to continue an argument which will put this thread in the beating a dead horse section, but like Tman122 stated, unless a tub is metered then there is no way of knowing the exact operating expenses.  Even when an energy usage chart is provided by a manufacturer the criteria (outside air temperature and usage) will not be able to reflect a true operating cost because they are not realistic.  All of the energy charts I have seen and none have been from Coast, have stated an ambient air temperature of either 60 degrees or 70 degrees, tub set at 102, and being used three times per week at 20 minutes per session.  Common sense will tell someone that whatever those charts say are going to be lower than what actual operating costs will be.

Being a Coast dealer, I can say based on feedback from customers, and my boss who has a Coast Phantom (previously had a Cal Spa Atlantic and before that a Saratoga Victoria) that a Coast if insulated the same as a competing spa with similar specs is going to be about the same to operate.

Footie is happy with his Niagara and that is great.  Maybe comparing usage with his brother-in-laws is not an exact science but it should give a relatively accurate indication because if the Coast was more efficient than the HotSprings or the other way, then there would probably be a noticeable discrepancy.  And with regards to the cover, when looking at the Phantom I have on my floor, the cover fits just as good as it would if it were a flat top.  Sunstar did a great job making the covers fit well.

footie

« Reply #58 on: May 22, 2011, 02:26:45 pm »
Love the look of the phantom, is it five proper full height seats with three lower level seats at the negative edge, also spec vs spec how does it's price compare with my niagara?

castletonia

« Reply #59 on: May 22, 2011, 09:52:55 pm »
The two side seats and the waterfall seat are the deeper seats in the spa with the remaining ones being shallower.  I will note that I don't personally consider any seat in the Phantom to be a real deep seat though.  Being that I don't have the Niagara on my floor, instead I have the Journey which is the same except without the vanishing edge, I am not sure of the price difference off hand.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #59 on: May 22, 2011, 09:52:55 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42