What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Coast Spas  (Read 94747 times)

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Coast Spas
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2011, 05:51:24 pm »
It is a OEM cover I have and I must add that the quality of the tub is also reflected in the quality of the cover, as I said it's up to 5" thick in places. If I had one complaint to make regarding the cover it's the catches, piss poor but this is probably true on every other, why are they so cheap and brittle.

I think OEM is the only option right now for these special covers and I question whether the after-market cover guys are going to make them so they may be fairly expensive relative to standard covers when it comes time for replacement.

I just think bartops with bumps and dips rather than a flat surface are really just style over substance. Why not have the same spillover idea without the front dropping like that so you don't need a special cover and it seals better?
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2011, 05:51:24 pm »

spa goddess

« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2011, 06:20:38 pm »
Hello all,

Sorry it took so long to reply.  You asked why we had so many brands in 25 years.  Well, Mr. Spa went out of business. 

D1 was a good brand but next to the Cal Spa we sold so many more Cal that it wasn't paying for it's space. 

We dropped Cal after 11 years because we were offered Coast and we went to the factory and felt it was a home run.  In the first year our sales were up 40% and our warranties down by half.  We are now starting our second decade with Coast. 

Dynasty we brought in 2 truckloads because at the time Coast was 8 to 12 weeks out on orders.  Too bad for Dynasty that when customers were offered the Dynasty at a less expensive price and they could get it right away we sold 11 truckloads of Coast with them waiting 8 to 12 weeks before we could get rid of the 2 truckloads of Dynasty.  In fact, the last 2 spas we put into an auction to move them.  Maybe it's because Dynasty's "7 hp"  is more like a 4hp and it's really obvious when next to Coast's 7 hp.   

We can still get FreeFlow and do when we need to in order to fulfill a specific need.  Nordic and Viking were so close to each other at the time that it was redundant to have both.  We felt and still do that the Nordic was the superior brand.

LeisureBay fills the gap in price between Nordic and Coast.

Hydropool makes a terrific swim spa.

We service ALL the brands we have ever sold. 

Now about the cover for the Niagra.  Yes, it's a bit more expensive than some other covers but not too bad for a speciality.  We charge $699 but we run sales a few times a year that will save about 10%. 

Your idea about having a spill over without the drop would be great if someone could figure out a way to make it work.  However it would not be visually as exciting nor would it spill over if it wasn't at least a bit lower on one side.  Or should I say it would spill over on all four sides if one side wasn't lower!  Once it's not the same height as the rest it would need a specialty cover in any case. 

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2011, 06:37:20 pm »

Now about the cover for the Niagra.  Yes, it's a bit more expensive than some other covers but not too bad for a speciality.  We charge $699 but we run sales a few times a year that will save about 10%.  

Your idea about having a spill over without the drop would be great if someone could figure out a way to make it work.  However it would not be visually as exciting nor would it spill over if it wasn't at least a bit lower on one side.  Or should I say it would spill over on all four sides if one side wasn't lower!  Once it's not the same height as the rest it would need a specialty cover in any case.  

They don't need the front end to drop to have a spillover trough. The front of the trough could be at the same height as the rest of the spa with the spillover wall lower like it is now. That would mean it would use a standard cover. They drop the front side merely for visual effect (style over substance) but it means you need a special expensive cover that I gotta believe it is more apt to have issues with sealing properly over time as Footie has noticed (even if its fine when new I gotta think over time it will have more sealing issues compared to flat surface bartop spas).

I figured the cover was OEM only and more expensive; $630 to $700 is really a very expensive cover that you need to replace every 4 to 5 years. You could argue its really just like budgeting and extra $40-50 per year vs a standard cover so in that way maybe not a major issue but I’d pass just out of fear that the cover wouldn’t seal well since energy efficiency is a major buying point for me.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 07:03:47 pm by Spatech_tuo »

spa goddess

« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2011, 07:38:01 pm »
You are right that you could have a spillover with the front trough as high as the rest but what would be the point?  I mean, sure it would help with keeping the water level consistant but I can't help but think that visually it would be a bust. 

Since visual appeal is a very strong reason to be attracted to something, and since it's human nature to want to have items that attract attention (and a little envy), it's my opinion that it wouldn't sell as well without the visual aspects. 

The cover seals as well as any other cover.  The only difference is a second folding point.  Spa covers larger than 8 foot (like the Coast Mirage for an example) already have that because of weight and ease.  The downward slope actually helps water drainage directing the water down off the front.  Kind of like the slope of a roof instead of a flat one.

ejf The Spa Guy

• THE SPA GUY
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2011, 08:37:34 pm »
Spa Goddess,
 nice to see what you have done with the brands, good move on getting away from the Cal we did them for 2 years then dropped the line( warranty),We  have D1 and we could not be happier. But it is nice to see you having had Coast for that long... and represent them, Do not see many on here. ON the spillover you would think that Coast has played with the different ways to go with it, And i assume they found this to be the best way to run it...Who is building the covers for them ? Sunstar???
Falcos Home Resort award winning hot tub retailer,

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2011, 09:33:51 pm »
The intent of the "catches" are simply to meet ASTM standards, and prevent a child under the age of five from gaining entry into the spa. It's what there is. If you wanted something more heavy duty, you'd be looking at adding at least $20 to the cost of the cover, and NO spa manufacturer would EVER pay that.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

castletonia

« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2011, 11:16:08 pm »
ejf The Spa Guy, you are correct.  Coast made the switch from Cal Cover to Sunstar in 2009.

footie

« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2011, 02:16:58 am »
Many opinions on how to do the negative edge better than it already is but with each of those opinions here is a point being missed, it to give the impression that the water is falling off the edge of the world just as they do in swimming pools and the likes. You also gain a much better view than with a traditional tub, either to look at friends that aren't in the tub with you and hold a conversation or if you are lucky enough to have a position at your home where you can plant the tub and take in the countryside. In my case I positioned my tub so that it was looking out at my patio set, it's great for summer parties when some are in the tub and others just sitting around having a drink.

I think was are getting hung up on whether the seal is great or not, frankly I don't think it's that much worse than the rest but the bottomline is how much it costs per day to run compared to traditional tubs of similar quality and based on my experience against a HotSprings tub the cost difference is very small.

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2011, 08:41:02 am »
Maybe it's because Dynasty's "7 hp"  is more like a 4hp and it's really obvious when next to Coast's 7 hp.   

:D

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2011, 10:54:09 am »
You are right that you could have a spillover with the front trough as high as the rest but what would be the point?  I mean, sure it would help with keeping the water level consistant but I can't help but think that visually it would be a bust. 

Yes but that non-flat bartop will certainly lead to more sealing issues as one Coast owner had already noted versus going with a flat bartop. I'm not a fan of compromising energy effciency to get a better "look" of the spa. That may certainly help you on the sales floor and I understand that appeal to the dealer at point of sale but style over substance doesn't help the homeowner long term.

spa goddess

« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2011, 12:44:03 pm »
I don't understand why you keep harping on the seal.  There is no problem with the cover.  In the winter you do not see steam rising out anywhere.  It is treated exactly like a flat cover with pillows at the creases.  The seal is no less or no more than any other premium cover in the market.  The spa doesn't cost any more to own energy wise than any other spa of it's size in the same climate and I would say it is likely less costly because of the efficiency with the 5 or 7 hp pumps, insulation, etc. 

You also like to repeat "style over substance".  In this case it would be style ALONG with sustance.  My preferences as a dealer mean very little in any case.  The homeowner is the one who makes the decision.  The same people who might choose stiletto heels over flats.  Comfortable stiletto heels!  Style matters thank God or we all would be wearing the same thing.  For those that are concerned about the specialty cover there are plenty of other tubs in the Coast line up that can fulfill their needs. 

This is a designer tub for the people that find design matters.  It is not meant to fulfill everyone's tub desires.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2011, 01:42:24 pm »
I don't understand why you keep harping on the seal.  There is no problem with the cover.  In the winter you do not see steam rising out anywhere.  It is treated exactly like a flat cover with pillows at the creases.  The seal is no less or no more than any other premium cover in the market.  The spa doesn't cost any more to own energy wise than any other spa of it's size in the same climate and I would say it is likely less costly because of the efficiency with the 5 or 7 hp pumps, insulation, etc.  

You also like to repeat "style over substance".  In this case it would be style ALONG with sustance.  My preferences as a dealer mean very little in any case.  The homeowner is the one who makes the decision.  The same people who might choose stiletto heels over flats.  Comfortable stiletto heels!  Style matters thank God or we all would be wearing the same thing.  For those that are concerned about the specialty cover there are plenty of other tubs in the Coast line up that can fulfill their needs.  

I only brought this up after an owner of this exact style tub reported it doesn't seal well and because I can see how this can be an issue with a non-flat bar top. I imagine they had concerns in development but Marketing usually wins out. As far as style over substance, I understand they did it for a look but deciding to drop the front edge is 100% for visual effect so its totally style over substance not to mention it limits you to an OEM cover than is about $200 more expensive due to the intricacy of it. It’s not like its the only example of style over substance in the industry but when it causes other issues such as sealing of the cover I’m not a fan. Heck, waterfalls are all about style but they don't cause any other undue issue really. I'm just saying if I were looking at Coast I'd skip these models and look at the traditional flat bartop spas. I’m not knocking Coast overall.

This is a designer tub for the people that find design matters.  It is not meant to fulfill everyone's tub desires.

I totally agree, as I said I'm just saying if I were looking at Coast I'd skip these models and look at the traditional flat bartop spas. I’m not knocking Coast overall.

Others such as D1 also have a lot of "out of the box" designs also but they stick with flat bartops. I may be more of a purist overall but no matter the design I'd want a flat bartop whether its Coast, Jacuzzi or whomever, maybe its just me.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 01:50:52 pm by Spatech_tuo »

spa goddess

« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2011, 01:50:32 pm »
Sweetie,
You get to keep your flat top!   :D  I'll be happy to sell you or anyone else one!  In this market I'm grateful for every sale and so glad we have choices.  There is nothing wrong with tradition! (or innovation)

footie

« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2011, 02:35:28 pm »
I only brought this up after an owner of this exact style tub reported it doesn't seal well and because I can see how this can be an issue with a non-flat bar top. I imagine they had concerns in development but Marketing usually wins out. As far as style over substance, I understand they did it for a look but deciding to drop the front edge is 100% for visual effect so its totally style over substance not to mention it limits you to an OEM cover than is about $200 more expensive due to the intricacy of it. It’s not like its the only example of style over substance in the industry but when it causes other issues such as sealing of the cover I’m not a fan. Heck, waterfalls are all about style but they don't cause any other undue issue really. I'm just saying if I were looking at Coast I'd skip these models and look at the traditional flat bartop spas. I’m not knocking Coast overall.

Your are exaggerating my words about the seal and doing so to suit your argument here. Yes I did say the seal wasn't perfect but it's definitely not near as bad as you are making out, after all I'm the one who should know. ;D The overall efficiency of the tub is on par with it's equivalents, surely you would agree that a HotSprings is of this caliber?

And another thing, the front edge isn't purely for visuals, I explained it's benefits from my own personal experience having this lowered lip, you can speak to guests that are outside of the tub without them having to stand up, plus if you have a great view you would love to look over (like the countryside) then this tub lends itself perfectly to it. As for waterfalls, may I suggest trying that center seat with the wide waterfall, it's seat sits higher than the others yet the waterfall flows over your shoulders keeping you as warm as any other person in the tub, it's my wife's personal favourite.

I totally agree, as I said I'm just saying if I were looking at Coast I'd skip these models and look at the traditional flat bartop spas. I’m not knocking Coast overall.

It's not the dealer's opinion/personal preference that's important here but the desires of the customer. Clearly this design feature is proving popular here at least because my dealer says it's his top selling model, that statement on a tub that is up near the top of Coast's range.

Others such as D1 also have a lot of "out of the box" designs also but they stick with flat bartops. I may be more of a purist overall but no matter the design I'd want a flat bartop whether its Coast, Jacuzzi or whomever, maybe its just me.

If that is your own personal perference when picking one for yourself then I can't argue with that, I said each to their own but personally I love my tub for all those unique features that in my mind enhance the whole experience.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 04:00:40 pm by footie »

spa goddess

« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2011, 03:55:15 pm »
I agree Footie.  When I speak of visual I am referring to the view both inside and outside of the tub.  I'm so glad you are enjoying your spa and I'm sure you will have many happy memories with it over the years. :)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2011, 03:55:15 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42