What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot Spot SX  (Read 25624 times)

John-Duck

Hot Spot SX
« on: February 24, 2011, 03:04:02 pm »
So in talking with a local dealer I am leaning toward the revamped Hot Spot SX which is made by hot springs. I am looking more for a soak tub for a good price but want good quality and easy maintenance. With the smaller tub the rep told me the ozone filter should take care of normal use but may need a little chemical after heavy use.

Does anyone have this tub, if so are you happy with your purchase so far? to me it seems like its a pretty good little tub with nice seating and jet options

I am also asking if I am getting a good deal on the price.

He included in the price of 5100.00 u.s. the optional light spectacular, a ceramic filter, cover, lift device, step, continuous filter circ pump, delivery and install excluding electrical hook up.

Thanks for any information.
John.

Hot Tub Forum

Hot Spot SX
« on: February 24, 2011, 03:04:02 pm »

TwinCitiesHotSpring

Re: Hot Spot SX
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 05:31:33 pm »
If you are looking for low maintenance spa the SX sounds like a perfect tub for you, ya so it doesn't have 20 LED lights, 40 jets and a 12" waterfall, but not all people need or even want those extra "bells & whistles" Its a small body of water (around 280 gal. I believe) when hooked up 220v heats up very quickly, easy and cheap to maintain as far as chemicals are concerned, esp. since you are getting the 24hr circ. pump included (silver ion and shock w/ occasional chlorine is all you'll need), has a moto-massage plus 16 other jets, "captains style" seating is very comfortable (the arm rests are an underrated feature most people overlook, personally I love them in the one corner seat) so ya basically for something with a lot of nice little features at a very reasonable price its a great little tub, plus with the pearl shell and choice of exterior colors its not a bad looking tub at all, personally I think the pearl/gray looks sharp...nice tub at a nice price, I say go for it and enjoy the new tub...  :)

John-Duck

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 01:14:37 pm »
Cool, ty for the detailed reply.

after looking at a lot of tubs on-line and prices it sure seems like a good deal, so I went ahead and made the purchase. Funny you mentioned the arm rests as its what sold me on the tub, I like the ability to not only rest my arms but with just a little effort its easy to shift your body to get the jets to hit in different spots.

Its a 110 or 220, but I am going with the 220 hookup for the reasons of quick heat ups and maintaining the heat while soaking. Another feature that I liked with the 24 hour circ pump was the ability to heat though one system and use the jets on a separate system.

Since it seems like a new model that no one has reviewed or commented on I will do an updated post once I have the tub.

cheers.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 11:13:48 am by John-Duck »

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 09:37:37 am »
It's not actually a new model.  New to the Hot Spot line.  New version.  But we have been selling the Solana SX for years.  Very relaible product.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 11:37:01 am »
I have no idea on price, but this does sound like a nice tub, with 280 gallons it should heat up fast at 240volts, definitely worth the wiring.  Hope it goes well for you.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

TwinCitiesHotSpring

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 05:08:44 pm »
Cool, ty for the detailed reply.

after looking at a lot of tubs on-line and prices it sure seems like a good deal, so I went ahead and made the purchase. Funny you mentioned the arm rests as its what sold me on the tub, I like the ability to not only rest my arms but with just a little effort its easy to shift your body to get the jets to hit in different spots.

Its a 110 or 220, but I am going with the 220 hookup for the reasons of quick heat ups and maintaining the heat while soaking. Another feature that I liked with the 24 hour circ pump was the ability to heat though one system and use the jets on a separate system.

Since it seems like a new model that no one has reviewed or commented on I will do an updated post once I have the tub.

cheers.

everything sounds good John, definitely give us some feedback when you get everything installed and enjoy the new tub  :)

Scoobmaster

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 07:29:49 am »
Hi John. 

I am new to this forum and also a prospective new hot tub owner.  My wife and I are currently researching our first tub purchase and have this tub on our "serious look at" list.  Like you, I am more interested in reliabilty, ease of maintenance, and energy efficiency than large amounts of extra bells and whistles.  I would be very interested to hear your opinion once you have had a chance to  "get to know" your new SX.

John-Duck

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2011, 11:01:54 pm »
I finally have my tub ;D

Prior to purchase the sales person James of Clackamas Or. had no problem getting the tub setup in the showroom and filled with water for a wet test. I highly highly recommend a wet test for this tub more than any other. Reason being since it's a small tub anyone over about 5'8" might have leg room issues. I am 5'6" and it's fits me like a glove, but that's one of the perks of being short, even a normal bath tub is spacious. Anyway I was very pleased with the seating options the jets and as mentioned before the arm rests.

All in all the dealership (James) was easy to work with, answered all my questions, gave good suggestions and never pressured the sell. Since Hot Springs is manufactured here in Oregon and in all my research is one of the top 10 recommended tubs I decided to go ahead and make the purchase. The total price including the GFI unit and every upgrade available came to just over 5k. Also for a smaller tub there were not that many other models available to choose from, which I am surprised at.

There was a delay of the unit arriving from the factory, even thought it's made in my home state, and some electrical issues not the fault of Hot Springs, however I am up and running at temp.. WOOT!

After I was hooked up to electricity it only took about 8 hours to go from 50 degree water to 102. I went with the 220volt hookup and am glad I did. With the 24 hour circ-pump I can get in the tub and actually increase the temp from 100 to 104 in about 10 min while I soak.  (if you do pick the 220volt system make sure they order the right GFI panel, seems there is an issue with the 24 hour circ-pump and the 220volt system) no big deal though turns out the GFI unit that works best is one of the lower costing ones.

Other than the lounger, the other two seats take some getting used to with regards to leg positioning. If you have more than 2 people in this tub, they best be on very friendly/intimate terms or after the soak they will be, whether they want to or not.

Seating:
I really like the lounger you could easily fall asleep in this seat with no fear of slipping into the tub as your head is supported nicely by the pillow.
The moto-message is a pretty cool thing as well, something completely different than your normal jetting experience.
The third seat is my favorite really lets you sink down into the water and the jets hit in all the right spots.
The other spot I found is actually sitting on the floor of the tub, head resting on the side of the tub where the circ pump bubbles come up.

All in all I would definitely recommend this tub for someone looking for a easily maintained tub that is cheap on the operating coasts such as chemicals and electricity. However, it should be considered a personal tub for 1 or 2 people and 3 only if your looking to play the game twister in the water.

Feature wise I recommend the 24/7 circ pump, very very quite and adds to the over all efficiency of the unit. In addition the pump is able to heat the tub while the jets run so it heats while you soak. The ozone system is also part of the package that keeps the chemicals down to a minimum and you not smelling/feeling like you just came from, well a hot tub.

Cheers
John

« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 11:00:59 am by John-Duck »

Scoobmaster

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 12:51:18 am »
Thanks for posting the detailed review John.  Sounds like you are very happy with your new tub (I'm envious).  Unfortunately I have to take this one off MY list as it is just too small for our needs.  Your description helped a lot, but the real "proof" for us was looking at one in person at a dealer today.  I am 6'1" and I would probably be too tall for this model (not to mention that once my son gets a little taller it would be tight for all three of us).  

All is not lost for us though, we do have our list narrowed down to four tubs to wet test and compare.  I won't take up space and re-type it here in your post, but of you want to you can read my post here.

I do thank you for posting your experience and opinion here - it is very informative and helpful.  Enjoy your new tub!  We hope to soon follow and have on of our own soon.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 03:23:00 pm by Scoobmaster »

John-Duck

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2011, 01:25:10 pm »
Your welcome and yeah good decision at 6'1" you would not be happy. Your link was broken for me, but Good Luck in your search it sounds like your shopping smart. 

Scoobmaster

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2011, 03:24:20 pm »
Sorry about that - I fixed the link (I formatted it wrong). 

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 10:00:46 am »
Welcome to 'Spatopia.' I hope you continue to enjoy your tub for years to come. I took my tub out a while back and I am sorely missing it right now! I built a new patio and some other things, but that's all done and we are choosing what tub to put back in place...

One tiny little point, not really worth mentioning - but Watkins Manufacturing is located in sunny Southern California.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 10:00:46 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42