What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Sleep Apnea  (Read 13568 times)

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: Sleep Apnea
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2009, 08:07:17 pm »
I believe that losing weight is the key to a lot of relief to a lot of ailments ... the problem is food is a good thing to have a vice on IMO! ;D

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2009, 08:07:17 pm »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2009, 10:54:57 am »
... the problem is food is a good thing to have a vice on IMO! ;D

[size=14][glow]
Ah, FOOD!!!!
[/glow][glow][/glow][/size]
220, 221, whatever it takes!

t6texan

• Tiger River Begal
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2009, 10:30:54 pm »
One problem with sleep apnea is Weight . I have read somwhere that lack of sleep caused by sleep apnea cause some hormone inbalances that cause wieght gain. This in turn makes losing wieght  very hard >:(

fdegree

• 2007 Sundance Optima
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2009, 12:05:31 am »

Ahhhhh, the secret to weight loss is napping.  I can live with that prescription. ;)

As many of you already know...sleep deprivation can lead to MANY physical problems. Even premature death :'(.

For me it is not being overweight that is contributing to my sleep apnea.  It seems to be genetics and a small airway :(.  While I could stand to lose 20 - 30 lbs., I had this problem many years ago when I weighed 175 lbs.  By the way, I'm 6' 0" if that helps to put it into perspective.

pratzert

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2009, 10:52:45 am »
I have it too !  Severe case.

I use a CPAP every night.... it's a pain, but has made a difference in my life for sure.

I used to find my head on my desk at work several times a day but the machine has changed all that.

I have never felt in danger at all when going into the tub alone.

I can think of worse ways to go than floating in a warm wet world of bliss.

Tim

bobhol

• delivery in 35 minutes......or its LATE!!!
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2009, 01:24:57 pm »
I can honestly say I have never fallen asleep while driving....although I've  woken up a few times driving!!! ;D ;D ;D

michiganwinter

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2009, 05:24:07 pm »
I wonder if there is any correlation to hot tub usage and sleep apnea given the number of forumites having difficulties with this issue...

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2009, 09:44:49 pm »
Ahhhhh, the secret to weight loss is napping.  I can live with that prescription. ;)

.  It seems to be genetics and a small airway

I still have my tonsils, which I may consider having removed. When I reach my goal weight, I am going to do another O2 night time test to see if things have improved.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

fdegree

• 2007 Sundance Optima
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2009, 10:49:43 pm »

I too still have my tonsils, though I am unclear as to how big of a roll that plays.  I realize they are "in the way", but if they are not flaring up, are they really a problem?

Hillbilly Hot Tub

• Be open minded, learn something every day!
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2009, 10:43:41 am »
I too have (had) sleep apnea. I fought to have a surgery called a UPPP done so I would not have to have a C PAP machine the rest of my life. Since I was very yound, 24, and went in front of my insurance board to prove that it would be less costly for them in the long run, Its been great.

My husband has untreated sleep apnea and sometimes falls asleep in the tub. I am with him, so not an issue. He has never gone under or had to have me save him yet. ;)
Clearwater Spa Dealer, Great Lakes Spa Dealer, Helo and Almost Heaven Saunas. Authorized service center for several spa lines, CPO. APSP member. Good old fashioned New England service!

fdegree

• 2007 Sundance Optima
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2009, 01:49:51 pm »
I too have (had) sleep apnea. I fought to have a surgery called a UPPP done so I would not have to have a C PAP machine the rest of my life. Since I was very yound, 24, and went in front of my insurance board to prove that it would be less costly for them in the long run, Its been great.

What is UPPP surgery?
How long ago did you have this done?
It sounds like it has worked for you, right?
Any issues as a result of the surgery?

Please forgive all of the questions.  I have been reluctant to go down the surgical route because the statistics have shown a relatively low success rate...around 60% as of about 3 years ago.  So, I'm curious about future options.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2009, 01:53:55 pm »

What is UPPP surgery?

A Google search sent me to Wikipedia:

[glow]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UPPP[/glow]
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 01:56:22 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2009, 06:54:25 am »

What is UPPP surgery?
How long ago did you have this done?
It sounds like it has worked for you, right?
Any issues as a result of the surgery?

Please forgive all of the questions.  I have been reluctant to go down the surgical route because the statistics have shown a relatively low success rate...around 60% as of about 3 years ago.  So, I'm curious about future options.

Your right it is a low success rate.  They basically open up your airway by cutting out flesh around the back of your throat, and if you have tonsils they take htem out. I'd have conflicting info on whether or not it would help me.  I think the sleep doctors have an interest in keeping you coming back to them and selling you expensive CPAP equpment.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2009, 09:24:30 am »
The surgery was considered an option for my husband because he hated the CPAP so much. We consulted an ENT, who I believe to be one of the best. He said the success rate was relatively low and that my husband should exhaust everything else (like trying harder with the CPAP and lose weight). Thankfully, the weight loss did the trick. The difficult part is keeping the weight off... I think the threat of the cpap helps him control his eating. :-/
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Hillbilly Hot Tub

• Be open minded, learn something every day!
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2009, 04:04:35 pm »
My UPPP surgery was done 13 years ago and it worked great for me. It was very painful though.

They took my tonsils, adnoids, the little thing that hangs down, forgot what it is called. They also trimmed the backside of my tounge (very, very painful!!!) They took the sides of the wall to the opening of my thraot and sewed them back. One side did come undone, so now it looks a bit like the letter D in the back of my throat, but I still have no issues.

This surgery did not work for my mother, but she is severly overweight (apx 450-500 lbs) and this was why. They had to put a trake tube in for her, which she got to have out after losing 150 pounds, but she has since gained the weight back and has issues again. I worry about her! She has to sleep sitting up at this point.

I had good luck with it and it was well worth the pain. Hopefully it will all stay fine as I turn old andd grey!
Clearwater Spa Dealer, Great Lakes Spa Dealer, Helo and Almost Heaven Saunas. Authorized service center for several spa lines, CPO. APSP member. Good old fashioned New England service!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2009, 04:04:35 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42