What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: 2005 HS Vanguard only heats up to 85 degrees.  (Read 8958 times)

drober30

• Loving my HS Vanguard!
2005 HS Vanguard only heats up to 85 degrees.
« on: October 29, 2010, 10:54:24 pm »
I did not use my hot tub over the Summer. I did not drain it, turned off the heater and added sanitizer every so often and ran the jets.

I drained and refilled the tub, cleaned the filters and balanced the water but now the tub will not exceed 85 degrees! I cycled the power using the breakers to see if I could reset something that may be stuck but that did not work either.

Any suggestions on why its heating but only to 85 degrees?

Hot Tub Forum

2005 HS Vanguard only heats up to 85 degrees.
« on: October 29, 2010, 10:54:24 pm »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: 2005 HS Vanguard only heats up to 85 degrees.
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 03:28:03 pm »
 Possibly in an economy mode? 

drober30

• Loving my HS Vanguard!
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 07:13:12 pm »
Thanks for the reply! No, it not in economy mode.

I removed the panel to the IQ2020 and the htr light is red. Don't know if that's normal or not?

I took out all the filters as a trail and error trouble shooting effort because I was told a water restriction can cause problems.

I cleaned the high limit switch with tooth brush and vinegar.

I will probably just have to have it serviced. Really disappointed as it's four months out of warranty.

I could have purchased a much cheaper spa but I went with Hot Springs and paid $12k to avoid such problems.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 09:11:59 am »
 You have done alright for going 5 years with out a problem?   With a hot tub doesn't matter what brand it is or how much it cost (though it helps) you can still have problems with them.   If you have a volt meter you can check and see if power is going to the heater, if so it's prolly bad.

tjr

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 11:31:17 am »
If you have voltage to the spa from the 30 amp breaker it sounds as if the heater relay board is bad. look for black marks or a burnt smell. p/n 71648 from a dealer.

TR

drober30

• Loving my HS Vanguard!
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 03:16:29 pm »
If you have voltage to the spa from the 30 amp breaker it sounds as if the heater relay board is bad. look for black marks or a burnt smell. p/n 71648 from a dealer.

TR

It does have the burnt smell. No black marks. I will have to check the voltage.

Thanks.

drober30

• Loving my HS Vanguard!
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 01:26:15 pm »
Heater Control Board was bad. Repair = $245 w/service call

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 01:35:03 pm »
Heater Control Board was bad. Repair = $245 w/service call

Thats always a bummer when it happens after the warranty, especially when it soon after as in this case (or like the fuel pump in my Chevy that went out 5k miles past warranty a couple years ago).
220, 221, whatever it takes!

drober30

• Loving my HS Vanguard!
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2010, 01:45:37 pm »
Yes, I agree! I thought about asking for assistance from Watkins and still might call and let them know I'm disappointed, however, I realize its just electronics and mechanics and something is bound to fail sometime. So I guess my feelings are the warranty should be 10 years on one of the most expensive tub you can buy (HS).

I complained about the $145 service call in a new thread just to vent.

Should be soaking by Friday! ;D

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010, 02:38:56 pm »
Yes, I agree! I thought about asking for assistance from Watkins and still might call and let them know I'm disappointed, however, I realize its just electronics and mechanics and something is bound to fail sometime. So I guess my feelings are the warranty should be 10 years on one of the most expensive tub you can buy (HS).

As you say, electronics fail sometimes. It can happen at 1 month ("burn in" period) , 3 , 5, 8, 12 … years. Bummed out that it failed I understand but what exactly are you disappointed in? Its a crapshoot but I don't think anyone failed you. I've been there though so I know the "this sucks" feeling you get when a product fails shortly after the warranty expires.

As far as the warranty being 10 years on electronics/pumps. Part of the reason they don't do that is they'd have to raise the prices to offer that (its also a stretch to go that long with those items). Warranties are not free, they are INCLUDED. The spa companies factor in the expected total cost of warranties and that goes into the price of the spa. That is why every major spa company has secondary spa offerings ( Hot Spring Limelight, Sundance 700 series, etc.) where you always find shorter warranties on them. Want to know why? Its NOT simply because they are lower quality as people often mistakenly think. By giving a lower warranty they are able to offer a lower price point for that product line.

Some may say "but I'd pay extra for if it was extended to 10 years". If a spa company was to switch to a 10 year warranty on electronics/pumps people would like that but then they'd go buy someone else's 5 year warranted spa and take the chance once they saw the increased price of the10 year warranted spa.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 02:40:45 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

drober30

• Loving my HS Vanguard!
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2010, 08:16:41 pm »

As you say, electronics fail sometimes. It can happen at 1 month ("burn in" period) , 3 , 5, 8, 12 … years. Bummed out that it failed I understand but what exactly are you disappointed in? Its a crapshoot but I don't think anyone failed you. I've been there though so I know the "this sucks" feeling you get when a product fails shortly after the warranty expires.

As far as the warranty being 10 years on electronics/pumps. Part of the reason they don't do that is they'd have to raise the prices to offer that (its also a stretch to go that long with those items). Warranties are not free, they are INCLUDED. The spa companies factor in the expected total cost of warranties and that goes into the price of the spa. That is why every major spa company has secondary spa offerings ( Hot Spring Limelight, Sundance 700 series, etc.) where you always find shorter warranties on them. Want to know why? Its NOT simply because they are lower quality as people often mistakenly think. By giving a lower warranty they are able to offer a lower price point for that product line.

Some may say "but I'd pay extra for if it was extended to 10 years". If a spa company was to switch to a 10 year warranty on electronics/pumps people would like that but then they'd go buy someone else's 5 year warranted spa and take the chance once they saw the increased price of the10 year warranted spa.

I understand your point and the only thing that comes to mind is Hot Springs or the "Hot Springs" name will soon only be available to the really wealthy! Really, $11,000 - $12,000 for a Vanguard! I would consider buying a different, less expensive model with a "shorter" warranty next time. I'm sure the $4k in saving would allow somebody to keep their tub running for ten years.

I like my tube and the Hot Springs line but for what their asking, they need to extend their warranty for care free ownership for 10 years. The tub was not even on all summer long!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2010, 08:16:41 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42