What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Electronic (ACE) upgrade for a 1997 Grandee  (Read 3483 times)

dronning

Electronic (ACE) upgrade for a 1997 Grandee
« on: September 02, 2010, 01:03:40 am »
Ok this may seem extreme. 

We got a 1997 Grandee for free** (see below).  We spent less than $300 replacing the the pillows and several of the jets, then we sprung for a new cover another $400.  Pretty darn cheap for a tub that looks and runs like new.  We love our tub and wouldn't consider getting a new one.

BUT
I was looking at the ACE water care system and really liked it but I can't justify buying a new hot tub just the get the ACE system.  So I began to wonder what would it take to upgrade all the electronics in my 1997 tub to be able to install it.

I think it could be done for about $2,500.  My spa had the latest 2010 heater installed just before we got it.

Breakdown - no labor I'll do it
IQ 2020 approx. $475
Control head approx $240
Control panel approx $75
Misc. cable $100
ACE system $1200 - if I can even buy it seperately

Are there other ACE like options out there?  Are they as good?

**Ok free is a relative term I had to upgrade our electrical service to 200 amps and install the spa sub panel.  Bid was $2,600 I did it myself for < $1,000

Backyard didn't pass the WAF (wife acceptance factor) bid on work was $5,800.  I pulled the permits rented a bobcat did all the excavation plus I put in 2 retaining walls for just over $1,300.  Still needs sod (not in original bid) but I am waiting until it cools off.

So far I have spent about $3,100 on this free spa.  I'd do it again in a heartbeat because I really needed it after all that work.

Hot Tub Forum

Electronic (ACE) upgrade for a 1997 Grandee
« on: September 02, 2010, 01:03:40 am »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Electronic (ACE) upgrade for a 1997 Grandee
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 10:56:14 am »
You seem to be getting a lot of satisfaction out of your DIY project, excellent job.

As far as retrofitting for the ACE system, if your controller goes out and you need a new one I could see you retrofitting with a new one and going the extra step to retro the entire system to add the ACE but I'd personally have a tough time removing a perfecting well operating controller and putting in a new $475 one for that reason, but that's me - Mr. Practical. If you can afford replacing parts that are operating fine to get the auto-sanitizing system that's up to you but I'd probably enjoy the spa the way it is for a few years until ready to upgrade to a new spa (or until the controller goes out and I can justify the new controls).
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 10:58:02 am by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

dronning

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 06:34:02 pm »
You seem to be getting a lot of satisfaction out of your DIY project, excellent job.

I think you hit the nail on the head, I am running out of projects and looking for another "FIX".  There is no reason to do this other than to prove it could be done and I was starting to look for another challenge - it's time to relax and I sure don't want to mess up a perfectly running tub.

Dave

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 08:27:38 pm »
I don't think your tub would have the port from the filter compartment to the equipment compartment.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 08:27:38 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42