What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: How to turn off the ozone generator for good on a 2004 Sundance Altamar spa?  (Read 10702 times)

squale

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
I keep my spa indoors in my garage, and I go in it say every other day.  Everytime I open the lid it smells bad, like ozone, and I keep the dicholor levels always around 2-3ppm.  The smell you get when you walk into a spa store is not the same as what I get when I open the spa up.. I know it could be a difference with bromine versus dichlor.. and like I said.. I run dichlor only.  Plus I get a bunch of black spots on the undernearth of my cover and this after 2 years of trying to figure out what is causing it, I believe it has something to do with the ozone.  Because as soon as I get out of the tub I put dichlor in to get the levels up to around 3-4ppm.  Plus I only use the tub alone and always go in naked to keep any soap suds out, etc.

So I was hoping there is something quick and easy I can change on the control board to shut the ozonator off completely but not affect the heater or circulation pump.

thanks

Hot Tub Forum

Hottubber1

• hottubbing under the stars...
The easiest way to turn off your ozonator for good is to do the following;

Turn off the power to the spa

Open the front access panel to the control box

Locate the plug that comes from the ozonator to the control box

Pull the plug out of the plug recepter

Put the front access panel back on and turn the power on, you'll still get air bubbles from the ozone jet, but that is all it is, no more ozone gas.

Hottubber1 8)   

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
However, after 6 years, you may have no ozone anyway.  Your problems may not be the ozone; could be lack of ozone.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
  The 2004 Sundance didn't have a plug type yet it was hard wired/connected to circuit board.  There is a chance it still may be working.   If your going to unhook it I would also replace the ozone line with something shorter at the mazzi injector,chances are your check valves are probably close to history also. 

squale

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
so if it's hardwired, how do I disconnect power to the ozonator?  I was thinking of just pulling the ozone clear tube from the injector or coming right out of the ozonator, but then the ozonator would still be working and shooting ozone into the cabinet.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
 Just follow the wire to the circuit brd, there are little spring like connectors that hold the wires, and a set screw that holds the ground wire as well.  Pretty easy.

You can cut the ozone tube just above the mazzi injector if the check valves look good just leave them in.  If not I would plug the hose with something, reason being is if you lose power or your circ pump shuts off it will/can drain all the water out of your spa  :'(

squale

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
sounds like disconnecting from the circuit board is the better option!

could ozone cause that bad smell and also those black spots on the inside of the cover?

I keep my dicholor levels always around 2-3ppm so I can't have any bateria issues.. I am very anal about keeping my water clean and properly do the chemicals

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
"Everytime I open the lid it smells bad, like ozone, "

Ozone smells very unique but poeple don't normally term true ozone smell to be "bad" so I really question whether that is the smell you're getting.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

squale

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
when you walk into a spa store and you smell the spas, I love that smell.. very clean smelling... and they are indoors too just like mine... what is that smell... bromine? dichlor?

In Canada

I have to agree with Spatech,  I don't think it's ozone your smelling.  Ozone has a sweet smell to it very similar to the smell of the air just after a daytime thunderstorm.

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
  The 2004 Sundance didn't have a plug type yet it was hard wired/connected to circuit board.  There is a chance it still may be working.   If your going to unhook it I would also replace the ozone line with something shorter at the mazzi injector,chances are your check valves are probably close to history also. 

As far as I know, the ozone has always been a plug in feature.  I have never seen one hardwired into the circuit board. 

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member

As far as I know, the ozone has always been a plug in feature.  I have never seen one hardwired into the circuit board. 

I know Jacuzzi's were up to a certain year and I assume Sundance was as well considering they use the same circuit board and box.   Either way if it is hard wired he will know how to take care of it, if it is a plug no problem either.  ;D

Hottubber1

• hottubbing under the stars...
There is a plug on the 04 model. It is located under the control box. It should have a green plug end.

Hottubber1 8)

Hot Tub Forum

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42