What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Freshwater III replacement for vanguard  (Read 7979 times)

buffip

Freshwater III replacement for vanguard
« on: March 20, 2010, 12:27:34 am »
When it rains...it pours.  Now that the transducer is fixed on my tub (different thread), I have discovered my Ozone system is T.U.  Used a 30 second ozone tester.  Got zero color change.  No buzzing...nothing.  So now I need to replace the ozone machine.  Thoughts?  Stick with FW III?  Buy a JED?  Anybody?
Thanks
LJ

Hot Tub Forum

Freshwater III replacement for vanguard
« on: March 20, 2010, 12:27:34 am »

soak-king

• Where did that dang duck go anyway?
    • Backyard Oasis
Re: Freshwater III replacement for vanguard
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 12:52:58 pm »
Before you change it you might want to open it up and take a look at the fuse inside the plastic housing.  ;)
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

It IS as bad as you think and they ARE out to get you.

buffip

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 01:57:13 pm »
Good call...
It was not pretty!  Corrosion everywhere.  Fuse was completly overgrown w/ corrosion.  Grounding wire was broken.  The more I attempted to repair, the more things just fell apart :-[
Gonna have to order a new one I guess
Thanks for the reply

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 10:53:51 am »
To keep this from happening again, be sure that air is flowing through the whole system. When I see one come in for repair that matches your description, I can count on the tubing being bad somewhere between the ozone generator and the ozone injector. A bad check valve, or just bad tubing can cause the air to stop flowing, and that will allow the ozone to go to work on the generator. Be sure to put in all new tubing and a new check valve when you install - the injector is usually fine to reuse but be sure it is nice and clean inside. Stay with the spring clamps! Automotive screw clamps don't work well on vinyl tubing.

We keep a few FWIII systems on the shelf, one or two which I have refurbished, too. I find I can usually sell them for right around the same or less than the Del units, but your price may vary. Ask your dealer for his best over-the-counter price and install it yourself.

The JED units are very inexpensive, but you have to replace them every year - some may go two years. The Eclipse unit from Del has a replacement chip which goes 9000 hours (fourteen months, approx) before IT needs to be replaced. If you buy an Eclipse, buy the "Spa Renewal Kit" at the same time, and put it on the shelf. Saves shipping, and you will need it in one to two years.

The Del MD50 is very much the same as the FWIII. You have to be sure to order it with the correct power cord. Goes a long time - IF you keep the air moving through it...

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

buffip

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 03:22:47 pm »
Chas
Thanks for the great info.  I have a FWIII coming UPS already, or I would order from you.  The tubing + check valves have all been replaced about 1.5 years ago...just as you said, the orig tubing was flaccid and kinked...that caused ozone to permeate the FWIII.  Guess it was on borrowed time then... :-\

Here is a question... How do the power cable 'keepers' (the plastic keeper at the bottom of the IQ power panel...that the ozone power cable runs through) come out/release the old cable?  twist? pry?  I'll need to remove the old and install the new power cable from FWIII.
Thanks for all the help
LJ

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 08:17:48 pm »
Squeeze them - if you look closely you'll see two flat sides - squeeze parallel to those sides. It is not usually hard to get the old one out, but it can be tough to get the new one in because you will have to deform the new cord. Put the thing where you think it needs to be on the cord, and then get it out where you can see it and work on it - and squeeze hard with pliers until you have put a good dent in the cord and it looks like it will go back in.

Or leave the clamp off altogether ... I promise not to tell.

Here is what it looks like open - waiting - hungry for human flesh - the taste of blood - show it no fear.

They make it sound so easy...

« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 08:24:09 pm by Chas »
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

buffip

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 03:04:08 pm »
LMAO
 Thanks!  It woreked just as you said.  New FW III installed, lines + check valves are about 1 year old...now just 2 more issues to work...
1.  Spaudio II recvr is slowly dying...synching is intermittent regardless of channel...need to find a HS modifies audiocast recvr..
2.  Amp wiring to left transducer is bad...need to fix that :-[
The fun never ends
Thanks again

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 03:04:08 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42