What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: North of the Border info  (Read 22912 times)

96SC

North of the Border info
« on: February 10, 2010, 11:59:08 am »
This post is barely, somewhat Hot tub related, only for the fact that we all have hot tubs.
If moderators want to 'kick this to the curb' so be it.  This is the only place I know to contact folks north of the border.
My family goes on a trip every other year and we are somewhat looking at Canada in 2011, somewhere between Winnipeg towards Quebec City. 
Here are some of my questions, you can either put your answers here or via PM.
Is it necessary to speak French in Montreal or Quebec City or anywhere else?
As a tourist would you stay in Old Quebec vs. Quebec City?
Would you take a vacation in Winnipeg?  Providing you don't already live there.
Is there anywhere in Canada you would highly recommend visiting, no matter where?
Is there anywhere in Canada you would tell a tourists to stay away from?
Of the major/semi major cities Winnipeg to Quebec City is there one you would recommend?
We are planning on a late July visit so any snow festivals/carnivals are out.
Thanks in advance, have a nice soak.
Jim

Before I speak, I have something important to say--Groucho Marx

Hot Tub Forum

North of the Border info
« on: February 10, 2010, 11:59:08 am »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: North of the Border info
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 03:55:11 pm »
I'm south of the border, in Jersey actually.

My findings about 25 years ago in Montreal was not that pleasant. People only wanted to speak French even in a McDonalds so if you can speak French so much the better IMO. Sorry to say people were even rude.  Honestly, my wife and I cut our trip short due to how we were felt we were being treated. Of course this is being told to you by an English only speaking American - LOL!!  ;)

If you do go to Montreal check out the subway, I was there about 33 years ago and it was fantastic. I went with my brother in law who grew up there and showed me around. The architecture around the city is beautiful and they still had the expo grounds there as well.

Hopefully things have changed in Quebec.

A place I'd like to go to is the Canadian Rockies. A friend of mine showed me pictures of them when he went on vacation and they were beautiful!

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 08:20:02 am »
Just checking to make sure this isn't a thread telling people how to avoid the border patrol.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 12:24:03 pm »
Wow..I remember the Expo...vaguely..haha
Support your dealer so they can support you!

soak-king

• Where did that dang duck go anyway?
    • Backyard Oasis
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 04:39:28 pm »
Just checking to make sure this isn't a thread telling people how to avoid the border patrol.

:D ;D LMFAO
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

It IS as bad as you think and they ARE out to get you.

96SC

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 05:41:02 pm »

It is, but you have to have the 'decoder ring' to figure out how.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 07:10:25 pm »
OK, OK! The way to avoid the boder patrol is by NOT going to Canada!!! At least if you're a US resident!

In Canada

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 05:01:50 pm »
96SC

Sorry to have not responded soon I don't stop in here as often as I used too.  Lets take this in point form

No it is not necessary to speak French in Montreal or Quebec City.  If you begin your conversation in English 99% of folks will continue in English.  There are however some rural areas where English is very seldom used.  A

As a tourist it depends on what you wish to see.  Quebec City is one of the oldest settlements in North America and is absolutely beautiful.  The Old section of town is where you must stay, the architecture is truly amazing.  Montreal while it is a Old/French city it is much more cosmopolitan and would be like a french speaking New York.  Lots of restaurants and shopping, art galleries and of course the Montreal Canadiens

Vancouver would be the place I would most recommend to visit in the Summer.  The Olympics will be over and the weather is great.  The mountains and the city are awesome.  Vancouver Island is like a forgotten paradise just a short ferry ride from a major metropolitan city

Personally I would stay away from Toronto, IMO it's like visiting Detroit (I know I'll take some flak for that but it's my opinion)

Thank you for mentioning the fact that there will be no snow in July, you wouldn't believe how many stories we hear about Southern Americans wondering where all the snow is 5 minutes after crossing the Ambassador Bridge :P

96SC

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 11:27:52 am »
In Canada
Thanks for writing, I had almost given up hope for 'insider' information.  The rest of the family had sort of written off Montreal/Quebec City and focused on Toronto (I have some news for them now).  I had been to both cities years ago, staying in youth hostels.  We did go to the old section of Quebec, it was memorable and the night we stayed in Montreal was in a bar (not much memory of that night).
I had actually gotten a sample disk from Rosetta Stone to see how it works, if I needed to learn some French.  After 10 minutes I was able to pick out a picture of a boy, girl, man or woman either drinking, reading or eating.  Could I say what they were doing in French? Nope. 
One family member did mention Vancouver so it hasn't been eliminated yet.
Again, thanks for writing, only 17 months to plan.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 09:02:01 pm »
96SC

Thank you for mentioning the fact that there will be no snow in July, you wouldn't believe how many stories we hear about Southern Americans wondering where all the snow is 5 minutes after crossing the Ambassador Bridge :P

OK, now we're South Americans ... I thought we called people that south of Central America. ??? ;) ;D

In Canada

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2010, 10:44:46 pm »
96SC

OK, now we're South Americans ... I thought we called people that south of Central America. ??? ;) ;D

NO, NO, NO, not South Americans, I said Southern Americans ;D or Americans from Southern States as I think I remember 96SC is from South Carolina.  Believe me Vinny it's true, I have a friend who's father was a Customs Officer and he told stories of folks crossing the border at Detroit and immediately looking for snow :o

In Canada

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2010, 10:50:43 pm »
In Canada
Thanks for writing, I had almost given up hope for 'insider' information.  The rest of the family had sort of written off Montreal/Quebec City and focused on Toronto (I have some news for them now).  I had been to both cities years ago, staying in youth hostels.  We did go to the old section of Quebec, it was memorable and the night we stayed in Montreal was in a bar (not much memory of that night).
I had actually gotten a sample disk from Rosetta Stone to see how it works, if I needed to learn some French.  After 10 minutes I was able to pick out a picture of a boy, girl, man or woman either drinking, reading or eating.  Could I say what they were doing in French? Nope. 
One family member did mention Vancouver so it hasn't been eliminated yet.
Again, thanks for writing, only 17 months to plan.

You could also try Niagara Falls Ontario and Niagara on the Lake,  Muskoka area is beautiful and still fairly close to Toronto.  Lake Louise Alberta is very nice so Nova Scotia  (Halifax and Peggy's Cove).  I can't tell you much about the Prairie Provinces, sorry

In Canada

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2010, 10:52:15 pm »
OK, OK! The way to avoid the boder patrol is by NOT going to Canada!!! At least if you're a US resident!

Just DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES wear a Team USA hockey jersey while crossing the border

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2010, 11:01:19 am »

Just DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES wear a Team USA hockey jersey while crossing the border

If we meet again in the Gold Medal game and Canada comes out on top this time are we free to come out of hiding with our USA jerseys while up North?

« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 12:52:06 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2010, 11:42:45 am »

Good idea, but I do get warm receptions when I wear my Columbus Curling shirt.  I wore there at the falls last Sept.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2010, 11:42:45 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42