What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: About to buy and need some experienced help  (Read 5724 times)

bridgeb3

About to buy and need some experienced help
« on: January 15, 2010, 12:47:22 pm »
I am about to buy a spa.  I was set on getting an Envoy as I have had the Grande before about 5 years ago at another home.  The Envoy was priced out to me at $10,900 delivered and installed.  I have a friend at work who is getting a divorce and has to sell his 2 yr old Mallorca and said he will give it to me for $2,000.  That is a VERY big discrepancy in price and the hassle of me trying to get it moved from his place to mine and getting it set up.  What are your opinions on this?  Should I go the more expensive route or go the cheaper route?  Is there that much of a difference in the two spas?  Any help and/or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Barry

Hot Tub Forum

About to buy and need some experienced help
« on: January 15, 2010, 12:47:22 pm »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: About to buy and need some experienced help
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 02:45:05 pm »
I am about to buy a spa.  I was set on getting an Envoy as I have had the Grande before about 5 years ago at another home.  The Envoy was priced out to me at $10,900 delivered and installed.  I have a friend at work who is getting a divorce and has to sell his 2 yr old Mallorca and said he will give it to me for $2,000.  That is a VERY big discrepancy in price and the hassle of me trying to get it moved from his place to mine and getting it set up.  What are your opinions on this?  Should I go the more expensive route or go the cheaper route?  Is there that much of a difference in the two spas?  Any help and/or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Barry

Two very different purchases; one is a top of the line new spa, delivered with a full warranty. The other is a used spa from the same spa maker but is a smaller, simpler spa with no warranty and you'll have to move it and won't have dealer support.

The first is the better spa all the way around but it's also the full price tag while the used one is far less. Both are perfectly fine options but they're apples and oranges in many respects. You have to decide based on a budget, therapy, convenience, piece of mind ... standpoint. There is no right or wrong way to go here, just a matter of which is best for you. I know I'm not telling you anything you don't already know but I'm not sure how else to respond.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

jb4265

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 08:17:40 am »
I am looking to buy an Envoy as well.  What is included in that price?

malarke5

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 10:09:56 pm »
I am in the same boat.  Just bought at Hydropool 600 series tub with CD/stereo, it's new but bought it from a used tub dealer...he says it's a $17K tub and I paid $7K - getting installed tomorrow - if anybody has any info on what these tubs really are worth new or what kind of quality level they have compared to a Coast Spa (I'm on the west coast) it would be appreciated.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 09:09:18 am »
I am in the same boat.  Just bought at Hydropool 600 series tub with CD/stereo, it's new but bought it from a used tub dealer...he says it's a $17K tub and I paid $7K - getting installed tomorrow - if anybody has any info on what these tubs really are worth new or what kind of quality level they have compared to a Coast Spa (I'm on the west coast) it would be appreciated.

I'm not that familiar with this model,other than checking it out on the website, but $7k is probably in the ball park of a fair price, but I'm guessing $17K is the inflated price that almost no dealer ever sells a tub at. (At many dealers tubs are always on sale, listing an inflated MSRP) If he ever did sell one at that price, I'm sure he would be on the phone with his buddies bragging about that.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 09:33:51 am by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 08:31:17 pm »
Buying a used spa is always a bit scary...but if you know the
guy and you trust him that makes a huge difference.
If he and some others would help ya move it, I'd go for
the used model in this economy.

Oh and invest the 8 grand you save in Gold or Apple!  ;)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 08:32:58 pm by Zep »

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 10:55:40 pm »
I am in the same boat.  Just bought at Hydropool 600 series tub with CD/stereo, it's new but bought it from a used tub dealer...he says it's a $17K tub and I paid $7K - getting installed tomorrow - if anybody has any info on what these tubs really are worth new or what kind of quality level they have compared to a Coast Spa (I'm on the west coast) it would be appreciated.

It's worth what the market will pay for them which in Thermospa-eze means "As much as they can possibly get out of you".  The bottom line is that it is a $6K spa with the Stereo it is probably worth the $7K you paid for it.  Spas are like any other major appliance purchase.  If you had to resell it in a year , it's probably worth about 50% of what you paid after a year of ownership.
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 10:59:22 pm »

Barry

You can get some great deals during a divorce but you can also run into problems.  #1.  How good of a buddy is this guy?  Can you trust him to be on the up and up with you?  If so, then go for the used one as you will save a TON of cash and get 90% of the desired experience (Moving Hot water in both).  If you can get a bill of sale with both her signature and his signature on it, then you would not have to worry about someone coming to get it from you after the divorce (Things like that do happen when the spouse is looking for cash out of the marriage).
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 10:59:22 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42