What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Anybody into GeoCaching?  (Read 6732 times)

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Anybody into GeoCaching?
« on: June 08, 2008, 01:03:12 am »
I spotted a brand new cache - it's called, "The Energy Smart Spa."

I wonder what spa that would be??? :D

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=b8719c78-e5fe-4760-a506-b030ccb340b2

8-)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 01:04:34 am by Chas »
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

Anybody into GeoCaching?
« on: June 08, 2008, 01:03:12 am »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: Anybody into GeoCaching?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 08:59:45 am »
Come on - nobody? I have just started GeoCahchin, and I am enjoying it. I combine it with other hobbies - for example the other day I took my Jeep and went off-roading. The "Hungry Valley Vehicular Recreation Area" is home to dozens of caches, and we found about ten of them. One was near a cool stream with some beautiful trees and such.

Another was located high atop a steep hill a good thousand feet above the rest of the valley floor with a stunning view.

Anyone?

8-)

bohms

• 2006 Artesian Piper Glen
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 09:44:58 am »
What is GeoCaching???   :-?

kacrab10

• 2004 Sundance Optima
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 12:15:09 pm »
I second that, what is geocaching?

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 12:57:17 pm »
I second that, what is geocaching?

A friend of mine does this. Its bacially like treasure hunting for fun.
http://www.geocaching.com/faq/
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 03:28:09 pm »
I'm Sooooooo glad you asked !!

The FAQ link above -thanks - does give some great info.

Here is my boiled-down explanation -

First, a 'Cache' - pronounced "Cash" - is a stash. A cache can come in a variety of sizes. It can be a "nano" - a little tube with a screw on cap barely large enough to hold three aspirin tablets. It can be a pill bottle, plastic jar, tupperware container of any size and/or shape, a metal box or container such an ammo box from a surplus shop. It can be an Altoid box of all the various sizes and shapes those things come in, it can be a hollowed out spot in a tree, board post or pole. It can be anything which will not be spotted and disturbed by non geocahing folks (lovingly referred to as "muggles.") To help, most people paint the cache to match the surroundings. Green, cammo, whatever. Fluorescent colors are not popular, unless you are hiding your cache in the local head shop.

In the cache go a wide variety of things. Smaller caches may have nothing in them but a folded up slip of paper. This is the 'log.' When you find a cache, it is fun to read the log and find out who has been there before you. If the cache is brand new, you get to claim the "FTF" or "First to Find." Some folks put small amounts of money, gift items, CDs or other nice little things which are intended to reward the FTF.

Most caches contain nearly-worthless little items referred to as "Swag." These could be small toys, rubber duckies with the HotSpring Portable Spa logo, coins, collectible items, photos, notes, or just about any little thing. I'm new at it, but I have seen a wide variety of items. I put some spa fragrances and scented candles in mine. Whatever you find, you are supposed to take one, and leave one. It's the honor system, and it works well from what I have seen so far.

Okay, so now you have established what a cache is and what it contains. Now what?

You go onto the website (www.geocaching.com) and choose the part of the world you want to go GeoCaching in. You will then be looking at a long list of caches in your chosen area. Some folks select caches near home, others set up to search a distant area where they will be on vacation. I like to go to a huge off-road recreational area an hour away and combine Jeeping with caching. I call it Jeep-o-caching. But you can download a map with the general location of as many caches as you would like. Then comes the technology - a GPS unit.

I have a very basic unit which can hold up to 500 waypoints. One waypoint  can be one cache, or it might take several waypoints to get you to a cache. Either way, I print the map of the overall area, and make notes which will help me find these little beasties. A cable allows me to dump the exact GPS coordinates into the GPS unit. I figure out which one I want to start with, and then you hit the road, or dirt in my case.

The listing on line for the cache will have hints, clues and other information which will help you find the cache. Keep in mind that they will not be sitting out for muggles to find. So some thinking is going to have to happen - sorry if that rules anyone out... :-)

Once you get to the area, you still have to find the exact location, and some folks make that even harder by purposely giving GPS coordinates which are some distance away. There was one I found on the Ventura Pier - but the coordinates were for the other side of the pier. I had to go back to the web site (hurrah for Iphones) and read the hint to locate that one.

There is much more to it - travel bugs are items with a number which can be tracked all around the world. Some of those which I have found have been from Mexico to Alaska and back. I found one today (in my own cache) which has been to England and would like to go back.

More questions?

8-)

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 07:59:04 am »
Everyone I know who is into Geocaching is also into Dungeons and Dragons, and speaks fluent Klingon.   I think they are also required to have Buffy the Vampire Slayer posters in their bedroom.  ;D

Real men Curl.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 07:59:45 am by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 10:00:31 am »
OK, whatever.

>:(

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 10:13:55 am »
OK, whatever.

Ok, how long did you have to search for that one.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 10:14:33 am by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

In Canada eh

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 04:03:03 pm »

First, a 'Cache' - pronounced "Cash"

Oh you silly Americans ;)  

It's French and it's pronounced "cash-eh" there is a accent on the "e" making it sound like an "eh"
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 04:03:59 pm by Confused_in_Canada »
Bullfrog 451

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2008, 07:31:29 pm »
No, I'm pretty sure it's pronounced "cash."

I didn't say that was the correct way to pronounce it, I just said that's how it's generally pronounced... ;D ;D ;D

8-)

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2008, 09:58:25 am »
Just for the record - I recently asked two of my geocaching friends if they spoke Klingon, had Buffy posters, or are into Dungeons and Dragons.

Nope. But it was a small sample. I'll post it on the GeoCaching.com web discussion board and see what they say.

While I'm at it, I'll ask them what they think of Hot Tub Owners.

Ought to be good....

8-)

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2008, 11:01:15 am »

It's French and it's pronounced "cash-eh" there is a accent on the "e" making it sound like an "eh"

No, I'm pretty sure it's pronounced "cash."

I didn't say that was the correct way to pronounce it, I just said that's how it's generally pronounced... ;D ;D ;D

8-)

Now that I know the French pronunciation it I will also pronounce it as "cash"!  ;)
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2008, 12:24:50 pm »

By any chance are you thinking of the word "Cachet?"

Main Entry: ca·chet Listen to the pronunciation of cachet
Pronunciation: \ka-[ch712]sh[ch257]\
Function: noun
Etymology: French, from cacher
Date: circa 1639

1 a: a seal used especially as a mark of official approval b: an indication of approval carrying great prestige
2 a: a characteristic feature or quality conferring prestige b: prestige <being rich…doesn't have the cachet it used to — Truman Capote>
3: a medicinal preparation for swallowing consisting of a case usually of rice-flour paste enclosing a medicine
4: a: a design or inscription on an envelope to commemorate a postal or philatelic event b: an advertisement forming part of a postage meter impression c: a motto or slogan included in a postal cancellation

"Those French! They have a different word for everything!" - Steve Martin

8-)

Hillbilly Hot Tub

• Be open minded, learn something every day!
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2008, 11:13:28 am »
My computer got slammed with a trojan horse while on the geocaching site!

We stopped it before any damage, but was a pain in the a**, be careful and make sure your anti virus is updated. This horse was found on May 28th.

But, I found my first casche, right down the road from me, didnt even need the GPS because I knew what area they were talking about. It was neat.
Clearwater Spa Dealer, Great Lakes Spa Dealer, Helo and Almost Heaven Saunas. Authorized service center for several spa lines, CPO. APSP member. Good old fashioned New England service!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2008, 11:13:28 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42