Brand Specific Forums > Jacuzzi Hot Tubs

Jacuzzi J-465 or.....

(1/3) > >>

Wannago:
Hi all,

We are in the market for a new hot tub, and decided we would spend some good money to make sure we are getting a quality tub that will last us a long time.

We both agreed that we wanted the typical bells and whistles: nice lighting, waterfall or some other soothing (read=cool) feature, and an audio system.  In our old tub (it died at -35 last winter..off to the landfill), I would always have a ghetto blaster setup so I could listen to tunes, but found I always had to crank up the volume so I could hear it over the noise of the tub, and I (okay...the wife) was concerned about disturbing the neighbors.

The first tubs I looked at were D1.  After spending some time in the store, I dropped a refundable deposit on a Lotus Bay.  It has everything we wanted, minus the audio system -  I was talked out of that option as being an expensive and problem-prone feature that could be cheaply and easily subsituted (visions of my old ghetto blaster again?).  Truth be known, they don't stock any tubs with this option so there would be a wait while it was delivered and I think they want to move what they have in stock.  The Lotus Bay is very nice and definitely seems like a quality product.

After learning that my wife demands a lounger ( I had no idea!), that put the Lotus Bay out of the equation.  We turned our attention to the D1 Chairman II.  Another very nice tub, same back massager, nice lounger, and a square tub easier to set into my deck.  However, the dealership does not stock any of these with the audio option, funky lighting, OR the liquid FX (waterfall type feature).  So, I now have been led away from 3 of the features we decided we wanted, all for the sake of getting a quality lounger tub.

I had initially ruled out Jacuzzi because we were planning on using a Covana automatic cover, and with the 400 series Jacuzzi tubs, I felt the raised waterfall section would preclude us from using the Covana cover.  Reviewing our finances a bit closer, we decided we would not shell out the extra ~5K for the Covana cover, which meant we could look at the Jacuzzi brand after all.

I went in there today, and there to meet me at the door was the J-480.  Wow! Even sitting there empty it was gorgeous!  I began talking with the sales rep and told him our thoughts, what we wanted, etc.  He walked me over to a filled J-465.  It too is a very nice looking tub, and would be perfect for us, because 99% of the time it is just my wife and myself in the tub, and occassionally our 12 yr old son will join in.  The slightly smaller size of the J-465 was perfect. It had beautiful lighting, waterfall, and the J-1000 stereo, which rocks!

Backing up a bit, I was given a price of $16,900 Cdn for the D1 Lotus Bay.  I haven't dealt yet on the Chairman II, but they had it on sale for $15,900 Cdn.  I was given a price of $15,999.00 Cdn for the J-465 which included the J-1000 stereo, ozonator, cover with Cover Mate III lifter, and delivery , startup etc.

BUT....

Doing some reading, it sounds like the lounger in the 465, well, sucks!  It doesn't look anywhere near a good as the D1 loungers. 

I am now somewhat torn!  I honestly fell in love with the Jacuzzi brand today. I have not yet wet tested any tubs, but I have the lounger issue.  No lounger - no sale.  On that note, my wife will not wet test in a store...long story - don't go there...so she will get the best lounger I can find.  ::)

This leaves us with the 480 as an option.  The sales rep told me that there was $2100.00 difference between the 465 and the 480, which will put the 480 at $18,100.00 Cdn.  I don't mind spending good money for a good tub, but 18K is a bit too high for me.  If I can get some more movement out of him on the 480, I might consider it.

To all you Jacuzzi experts, what are your thoughts on the lounger in the 480?  Looking at it, it was definitely different from the 465.  It looked like the legs were a bit more elevated, which might help keep you in place.  There were 2 armrests with wrist jets, a couple calf jets, and visually it looked like a decent lounger.  Is it a good lounger?  Do I have much of a chance of getting a 480 for a better price than the 18K Cdn?

Thanks.

hottubdan:
Have you looked at the Hot Spring Vista or Envoy?  You can get all the cool features you are describing...lights, water features, jets, sounds, lounge, even TV.

As everyone says, wet test, wet test, wet test.

Swell-Tub:
The Jacuzzi J-465 sucks. I can't figure out why they keep making it. One diverter valve and a poorly designed lounger. Now the J-470 without the lounger or the J-480 with the lounger is heaven. Some people make a lot of noise about the cover and I'm not sure why. We have the J-470 and the raised waterfalls are great. When my lower back hurts I sit under the raised waterfalls and let those two lower jets turn my lower back into butter. The raised waterfalls let relaxing water drop over my shoulders. If I had it all over to do again I would still buy a J-470. I paid $11,700 US with taxes for my J-470 fully loaded with stereo, ozone, steps, extra outside lights, cover lift, etc.

Good luck,
Scott  8)

Wannago:

--- Quote from: hottubdan on August 03, 2009, 12:31:18 am ---Have you looked at the Hot Spring Vista or Envoy?  You can get all the cool features you are describing...lights, water features, jets, sounds, lounge, even TV.

As everyone says, wet test, wet test, wet test.

--- End quote ---

Thanks Dan,

Yes I did look at the Hot Springs.  Before I went in, the Vista seemed like it would be right up our alley, but I too have to question its lounger.  The lounger only has jets for the neck and back, and doesn't have calf or hamstring jets, armrests, or wrist jets.  I guess a wet test would clear that up.  However, the local dealer, although very reputable, has the tub wired so that the pumps can only run for about a minute, before the breaker goes, which might present a problem with a wet test.  The back massager looks like a good feature, but pales compared to the D1's back massager as you cannot control it - it just whips away on its own.  With the D1, you can turn the massage feature off, which you can't do with the Vista.  It's too bad that the back massager can't be set to "normal", for occasions when you don't want the massage - just the jets.  There is also the 5 filter thing, I don't really want to have to clean 5 filters - no less replace them.  The service cited by the sales rep was very good though: price included all the usual stuff, plus a sub panel, and they would deliver it, fill it, start the chemicals, and even connect the wiring into the tub.  They would even take out old, dead, Cal Spa Victory tub away.  No other dealer will match that.

I have definitely not written them off.  The retail price on the Vista was $12,900 Cdn without the stereo.  I don't know what the stereo option would run, but I doubt it would cost as much as the Jacuzzi J-1000 system - and of course, we haven't begun to haggle yet, so the HS is definitely still in the running as they are significantly cheaper than the D1 or Jacuzzi brands.  But honestly, for some reason, when I left the store, I definitely felt the tubs were high quality, I just didn't have that "gotta have it" feeling.  Perhaps another visit is in order.

wmccall:
Either of you, what sucks about the lounger?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version