What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Arctic Summit Signature Vs Artesian Grand Cayman52  (Read 16632 times)

Vanguard

Re: Arctic Summit Signature Vs Artesian Grand Caym
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2009, 11:16:38 am »

I dont know why have so many leading manufacturers chosen for so many years NOT to put a legitimate floor on their spas?  Many are finally starting to do it, but why did it take so long?  Vanguard is assuming that the spa shell is always being sanitized properly, we all know in this business that lots of the time that a spa is in use it isnt being sanitized properly.  Many times there is absolutely NO free chlorine reading at all on the test strip when I test spa water for customers.

You're right, I do assume that the spa owner will take care of their spa in a manner that the water will be sanitized.  I'm glad to see the article that Hottubdan posted.  I have read, if not this article, one very close to it.  The whole point that manufacturers using Microban cannot even say it kills bacteria tells me it is simply a marketing gimmick.

The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2009, 11:16:38 am »

Summitman

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2009, 11:34:25 am »
Looks to me like that article is printed by a competitor of the Microban Lucite Shell.  Ill take that article with a grain of salt.  Do a quick search of Microban and you will several articles talking about the advantages it brings to the table.  

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2009, 11:34:36 am »

I highly doubt that Microban is JUST a marketing tool.  No way do all the manufacturers and dealers go thru the extra expense of having Microban, if its of no importance.

I'll avoid putting my toes in the water and actually commenting on its true usefulness but let’s realize this is a Marketing driven industry. IMO the decision to add Microban is absolutely about the perception (or reality) of how well it helps spa sales vs how wells it actually works.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Summitman

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2009, 11:35:56 am »
So, how does microban on shell help with water that is not properly sanitized?

See: ftp://http://www.rhtubs.com/microban.htm

[glow]And what does a "floor" have to do with microban?
[/glow]

Im talking about the floor because just because some manufacturers dont do something on their spas doesnt mean that it isnt good for the spa.  

Water Boy

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2009, 11:39:18 am »
I just did a basic Google search, and there are far more companies that support Microban than those that are against it. Many of them aren’t even in the spa industry. Just because some companies don’t use it doest make it worthless. This countertop company sure is a believer in it.  Here is what this counter place had to say about all of the benefits Microban provides:

http://www.granitdesign.com/en/microban.aspx
Arctic Spas Dealer of the Year- 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009

Hot Tub Guru

• Heavenly Times Hot Tubs & Billiards
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2009, 11:51:35 am »
Wet Test!!  

All the Arctic Jets will spin.  Giving you great feeling.  Arctic could put lower volume small jets in the spa to boost the number of jets.  Arctic prefers to use 5" and 3" spinning jets.  Don't go by the number of jets go by the quality of the jets.  

Michael

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2009, 02:22:49 pm »
 Micro ban in my opinion probably works in some way!  However it doesn't mean you don't have to use a sanitizer in your spa, and its not some magic thing that keeps your spa sparkling clean.  Suppose a salesman could make someone believe it does just to up charge the product.

My understanding of how microban works on spa shells,filters and kitchen counter tops is  it does nothing more than inhibit the growth of bacteria on the surface of said product inhibit growth, not kill bacteria.

To me micro ban on a spa shell means nothing, like Dan said if its so great why don't other company's use it.    I use the same analogy when someone is shopping Beachcomber spas and all excited about the external spa pack.  If its so great why are they the only ones that do it??   I don't have any problem with it just don't think its needed.  Same could be said for stainless escutcheons if they are there fine, but I wouldn't pay extra to get it.  Many I talk to are under the assumption the whole jet is stainless not just the front, once again its back to the salesman's pitch and how its perceived by the customer.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 02:24:53 pm by Jacuzzi_Jim »

Summitman

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2009, 02:48:40 pm »
Micro ban in my opinion probably works in some way!  However it doesn't mean you don't have to use a sanitizer in your spa, and its not some magic thing that keeps your spa sparkling clean.  Suppose a salesman could make someone believe it does just to up charge the product.

My understanding of how microban works on spa shells,filters and kitchen counter tops is  it does nothing more than inhibit the growth of bacteria on the surface of said product inhibit growth, not kill bacteria.

To me micro ban on a spa shell means nothing, like Dan said if its so great why don't other company's use it.    I use the same analogy when someone is shopping Beachcomber spas and all excited about the external spa pack.  If its so great why are they the only ones that do it??   I don't have any problem with it just don't think its needed.  Same could be said for stainless escutcheons if they are there fine, but I wouldn't pay extra to get it.  Many I talk to are under the assumption the whole jet is stainless not just the front, once again its back to the salesman's pitch and how its perceived by the customer.

I definetely agree that Microban wouldnt be a make or break item on a spa, but to say that its just a marketing ploy, is quite comical to say the least.  

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2009, 03:39:43 pm »

I'll avoid putting my toes in the water and actually commenting on its true usefulness but let’s realize this is a Marketing driven industry. IMO the decision to add Microban is absolutely about the perception (or reality) of how well it helps spa sales vs how wells it actually works.

From everything I've known, heard or read about Microban, this statement is right on target.

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2009, 04:58:41 pm »

I definetely agree that Microban wouldnt be a make or break item on a spa, but to say that its just a marketing ploy, is quite comical to say the least.  

That's exactly what it is. I remember years ago reading an article related directly to the spa business that no one could use the term "sanitizer" when speaking of microban. There was a liability issue and many if not MOST dealers that offered it, over sold it.

To suggest that this product could do anything positive in a 0 chlroine environment in a spa is almost comical to say the least. As with any marketing BS, I say show me documented proof of it working and to what degree in a spa environment.  Countertops don't count sorry to say....  ::)

Water Boy

« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2009, 06:01:31 pm »

That's exactly what it is. I remember years ago reading an article related directly to the spa business that no one could use the term "sanitizer" when speaking of microban. There was a liability issue and many if not MOST dealers that offered it, over sold it.

To suggest that this product could do anything positive in a 0 chlroine environment in a spa is almost comical to say the least. As with any marketing BS, I say show me documented proof of it working and to what degree in a spa environment.  Countertops don't count sorry to say....  ::)

So its beneficial for countertops, but not on spas. You dont say...  ::)
Arctic Spas Dealer of the Year- 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009

Summitman

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2009, 06:05:36 pm »

Please oh please self proclaimed experts of the almighty spa world show me documented proof that it is marketing bs.  I guess all these manufacturers need to quit wasting so much money with Lucite.  

;D ;D ;D

Summitman

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2009, 06:06:37 pm »
So its beneficial for countertops, but not on spas. You dont say...  ::)

Didnt you know that dirty spa water is MUCH worse than raw meat on countertops!  Come beerman get a clue!

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2009, 06:52:21 pm »

I actually thought that most industry people pretty much thought of it as just a Marketing ploy for spas. Unless I see something that says otherwise that's how I think of it. Its more of a "no harm, no foul" tag line for a spec sheet IMO unless of course sales people are playing it up to customers as a key add on for spa water care or making some other over the top claim.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 06:52:59 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2009, 08:41:53 pm »

Please oh please self proclaimed experts of the almighty spa world show me documented proof that it is marketing bs.  I guess all these manufacturers need to quit wasting so much money with Lucite.  

;D ;D ;D

http://www.rhtubs.com/microban.htm
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2009, 08:41:53 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42