What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot tub temperature jumping by itself  (Read 4726 times)

Tanod

Hot tub temperature jumping by itself
« on: January 09, 2009, 07:51:20 pm »
I have a Pacific Hot tub that is about 6 months old and last night when we went in we were a bit shocked to see that the temperature was at 104.  We immediately turned it down and thought someone had hit it by accident.  Tonight we go back in and it's back to 104.  The water level was a bit low, usually we watch this but somehow missed it this week.  Does anyone think this might have effected the heater?  I'm keeping an eye on it tonight and will call the dealer tomorrow but I worry so I thought I'd ask here.  I also know that most of you aren't that familiar with Pacific.

Thanks!

Hot Tub Forum

Hot tub temperature jumping by itself
« on: January 09, 2009, 07:51:20 pm »

Steve

• Ultimate Member
Re: Hot tub temperature jumping by itself
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 12:01:31 am »
You didn't say what the temp was originally set at? :-?

A tub can increase in temperature even in cold conditions due to filtration cycles. Pacific makes a well insulated spa and this can be common to raise a degree or 2. If your tub was set at 95, there might be an issue!  ;)

Tanod

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 09:07:29 am »
Sorry it was set at 102 and this morning was 103 with the heater coming on so we're calling the dealer.  I have not noticed this problem beforehand and we go in the tub almost the same time in the evening.  104 is too hot and I don't want it at that temperature when we're going in.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 09:44:38 am »
Sorry it was set at 102 and this morning was 103 with the heater coming on so we're calling the dealer.  I have not noticed this problem beforehand and we go in the tub almost the same time in the evening.  104 is too hot and I don't want it at that temperature when we're going in.

Steve asked the same question and made the same point I was.  Can you control the time of your filter cycles?  On my tub I frequently see a 1 degree above setpoint, but under rare circumstances  I can see a 2 degree difference.   I know far less than Steve about Pacific tubs, but I know on my tub I can control the length of the filter cycle and since my tub has no clock it bases time on when the unit is powered up.    If I last applied power to my tub at 6am, every day the filter cycles begin at 6am.   If you soak everynight at 9pm it may be worth cycling the power sometime in the morning.  If you have regularly clean water, reducing the amount of the filter cycle may be an option.   My only thought on why this is happening now is perhaps you had a recent power failure that threw that time off?

Again, I know nothing about your tub and am speculating.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 09:49:59 am »
Tanod, the heating system in your spa is similar to that of a HVAC system in a home, in that it will kick on when temp drops 1-2 degrees below set temp and turn off 1-2 degrees above set temp. Seeing that your spa is always above your set temp tells me two things...it's well insulated and you have a good cover. If you like to soak at 102, try keeping it set at 101.

Tanod

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 09:53:23 am »
Yes we did have a power failure on Jan 1st for 2 hours and I'm thinking this has perhaps screwed up the filter cycle?  The dealer had set it when he set up the hot tub.

This has only happened to us this past week which is why I was concerned.  We will contact them and figure out the right cycle times again.

Thanks for your help.

Tanod

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 08:01:13 pm »
My husband spoke to the dealer this afternoon and they reset the times that the filters came on.  I checked mid-afternoon and everything was fine, put chemicals in etc etc., pumps were running great and temperature was at the setting.  We went out tonight and as soon as my husband lifted the lid, the lights were on and it was on standby mode.  We powered off (using electrical room controls) and can't get it out of standby.  We can't turn on the pumps, can't turn off the lights and can't get it out of standby.

My dealer is not open until Monday but I'm upset.  Although a smaller problem happened with this tub 2 months ago this will be the 2nd service call in 6 months.  I'm hoping my tub still can maintain heat in -18/20ish weather.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 08:01:13 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42