What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: not so bored at work  (Read 34274 times)

saz

not so bored at work
« on: February 22, 2005, 12:19:39 pm »
well, it's only Tuesday, and my email inbox is already full!!!. Luckily, full of fun emails and not work related, so I thought I would share one of the cleaner ones with you about some weird facts..................

The king of hearts is the only king without a mustache.

Mosquito repellents don't repel. They hide you. The spray blocks the mosquito's sensors so they don't know you're there.

Apples, not caffeine, are more efficient at waking you up
in the morning.

The plastic things on the end of shoelaces are called
aglets.

Most dust particles in your house are made from dead skin.

The first owner of the Marlboro company died of lung cancer.

Barbie's full name is Barbara Millicent Roberts.

Betsy Ross is the only real person to ever have been the
head on a Pez dispenser.

The citrus soda 7-UP was created in 1929; "7" was selected because the original containers were 7 ounces. "UP" indicated the direction of the bubbles.

No standard 8 1/2 x 11 piece of paper can be folded in half more than 7 times.

One in every four Americans has appeared on television.

Oak trees do not produce acorns until they are fifty years of age or older.

A Boeing 747's wingspan is longer than the Wright brothers' first flight.

The albatross drinks sea water. It has a special
desalinization apparatus that strains out and excretes all excess salt.

In Clarendon, Texas, there is reportedly a law on the books that lawyers must accept eggs, chickens, or other produce, as well as money, as payment of legal fees.

Cats purr at 26 cycles per second, the same as an idling
diesel engine.

A dragonfly flaps its wings 20 to 40 times a second, bees and houseflies 200 times, some mosquitoes 600 times, and a tiny gnat 1,000 times.

Marilyn Monroe had six toes.

The first product to have a bar code was Wrigley's gum.

A duck's quack doesn't echo, and no one knows why.

The combination "ough" can be pronounced in nine different ways. The following sentence contains them all: "A rough-coated, dough-faced, thoughtful ploughman strode through the streets of Scarborough; after falling into a slough, he coughed and  hiccoughed."

Facetious and abstemious contain all the vowels in the
correct order, as does arsenious, meaning  "containing
arsenic."

The United States has never lost a war in which mules were used.

Blueberry Jelly Bellies were created especially for Ronald
Reagan.

All porcupines float in water.

Non-dairy creamer is flammable.

When opossums are playing "possum," they are not "playing."  They actually pass out from sheer terror.

see...arent you all much wiser now???

saz
« Last Edit: February 23, 2005, 07:42:33 am by saz »

Hot Tub Forum

not so bored at work
« on: February 22, 2005, 12:19:39 pm »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: not so bored at work
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2005, 12:33:01 pm »

Was that three and three, or a total of twelve?

;)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2005, 01:39:25 pm »
Apples, not caffeine, are more efficient at waking you up in the morning.

I hope this doesn't mean we'll see a chain of stores that sell apples with whip cream on them for $4 each and are on every other block. Applebucks anyone?

No standard 8 1/2 x 11 piece of paper can be folded in half more than 7 times.

I will refuse the urge to try this at the risk of looking like a dork.

Let me know how this worked for you Brewman!

That should have made her more stable and better able to stay on her feet!?

The combination "ough" can be pronounced in nine different ways. The following sentence contains them all: "A rough-coated, dough-faced, thoughtful ploughman strode through the streets of Scarborough; after falling into a slough, he coughed and  hiccoughed."

hmmm, its seems to me that dough and Scarborough have the "ough" sharing the same pronunciation. Have I been pronouncing them wrong all these years?

All porcupines float in water.

That would be due to the air in their quills. I've experiemented with this many times.

Non-dairy creamer is flammable.

Brewman, please post your test results for this experiment!

220, 221, whatever it takes!

Nhbeacon

• Still a happy Siberian owner
I must be a closet pyro
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2005, 02:19:07 pm »
The only one that made me go ummm was the non-dairy creamer. I have just got to try that! Maybe I'll get the HS chem teacher to light it for me, to cut down the thrill level.
jan

Maybe the Hokey Pokey is what's all about?

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2005, 02:23:22 pm »
Why do you think I'd do any of this stuff?

Ok, I did, a long time ago, try the paper folding trick and it's true.  You can only fold it in half so many times.   ;D

As for the non dairy creamer, If don't have this around the house, but if I did, I'd try ignite it.  Wonder if it's the liquid or the powder stuff that's supposed to ignite?

Brewman
Brewman

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2005, 11:14:00 pm »
My son has experiemented with this many times. He gets a handful of the stuff (we buy it in bulk from Costco) and he goes outside. He pours a small stream of it over a lit match - holding the match a good three feet below his hand. Once the small stream catches, he drops the rest quickly and it goes up like a pyrotechnic device! It really does go like a flash power of some kind.

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Lori

• Saw It ... Wanted It ... Had A Fit ... Got It!
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2005, 06:58:20 am »
"In Clarendon, Texas, there is reportedly a law on the books that lawyers must accept eggs, chickens, or other produce, as well as money, as payment of legal fees."

I'll have to check on this (but I wouldn't doubt it).  I had a great Aunt and Uncle who lived in Clarendon.  My aunt was known for her cooking (she cooked for the ranch hands) and would take food to the local funeral home, for the people who worked at the funeral home, since they were usually so busy.  Even when she developed stomach cancer.  The same funeral home buried her, and charged my family nothing.  
Oklahoma Vanguard owner-don't hold that against me

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2005, 07:35:11 am »
well, it's only Tuesday, and my email inbox is already full!!!. Luckily, full of fun emails and not wok related, so I thought I would share one of the cleaner ones with you about some weird facts..................

Apples, not caffeine, are more efficient at waking you up
in the morning.

One in every four Americans has appeared on television.

I'll have to give the first one a try.  As for TV, I have been on 3 times I can think of. I was a contestent on the "Time for Bob" show (a local kids show, April 29th 1964 was the date I think) and I was the only one to throw the beanbag through the clowns nose and he noticed I was left handed.  Later they had a  game at the end using a toy that was called a time bomb. (imagine that today) It looks like a big black cannon ball with a fuse that you wound up and it ticked down.  In the game it was designed for you would pass it around and who ever held it when it went off was out of the game.  But on this tv show who ever held it when it went off got the big prizes of the day for the show.  I must have been on with the dumbest kids.  They passed that thing on like it was really going to take thier heads off.  Not me, they handed it to me in my right hand, I acted like I forgot what I was supposed to do, slowly passed it to my left hand and before I could get rid of it, "boom! Where are my prizes?

« Last Edit: February 23, 2005, 11:42:30 am by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

saz

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2005, 07:50:49 am »

hmmm, its seems to me that dough and Scarborough have the "ough" sharing the same pronunciation. Have I been pronouncing them wrong all these years?

hmmm, well over here we would pronouce dough like 'doh' ...a la Homer Simpson.........but Scarborough would be pronounced Scarbora..or Scarbra...with the 'a' in 'bra' really short sounding.
No jokes about short bra's tho, please!! ;D ;D

Ruby

• Marquis Epic
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2005, 09:52:06 am »
 Oak trees do not produce acorns until they are fifty years of age or older.

Nope, Sorry-Gotta disagree on this one.

I have an oak tree that was born from an acorn the year I moved here (1991).  It has more acorns than I care to step on barefoot.  And they're a pain in th a** to rake in August!
Minnesota Consumer
Been soaking since 7/2004

saz

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2005, 12:30:36 pm »
well, I'm slowly but surely proving the point that I don't do anything all day at work other than check my inbox!!!
Here's another goodie I got today...........

Customer: "I've been ringing 0700 2300 for two days and can't get through to enquiries, can you help?".
Operator: "Where did you get that number from, sir?".
Customer: "It was on the door to the Travel Centre".
Operator: "Sir, they are our opening hours".

RAC Motoring Services
Caller: "Does your European Breakdown Policy cover me when I am travelling in Australia?"
Operator: Doesn't the product give you a clue?

Directory Enquiries
Caller: "I'd like the number of the Argoed Fish Bar in Cardiff please".
Operator: "I'm sorry, there's no listing. Is the spelling
correct?"
Caller: "Well, it used to be called the Bargoed Fish Bar but the 'B' fell off".

Then there was the caller who asked for a knitwear company in Woven.
Operator: "Woven? Are you sure?"
Caller: "Yes. That's what it says on the label; Woven in
Scotland".

On another occasion, a man making heavy breathing sounds from a phone box told a worried operator: "I haven't got a pen, so I'm steaming
up the window to write the number on".

Computer Capers
Tech Support: "I need you to right-click on the Open Desktop".
Customer: "OK".
Tech Support: "Did you get a pop-up menu?".
Customer: "No".
Tech Support: "OK. Right-Click again. Do you see a pop-up menu?"
Customer: "No".
Tech Support: "OK, sir. Can you tell me what you have done up until this point?".
Customer: "Sure. You told me to write 'click' and I wrote
'click'".
Tech Support: "OK. In the bottom left hand side of the screen, can you see the 'OK' button displayed?"
Customer: "Wow. How can you see my screen from there?"

Caller: "I deleted a file from my PC last week and I have just realised that I need it. If I turn my system clock back two weeks will I have my file back again?".

There's always one. This has got to be one of the funniest things in a long time. I think this guy should have been promoted, not fired.
This is a true story from the Word Perfect Helpline, which was transcribed from a recording monitoring the customer care department.
Needless to say the Help Desk employee was fired; however, he/she is currently suing the Word Perfect organization for "Termination without Cause".

Actual dialogue of a former WordPerfect Customer Support employee.(Now I know why they record these conversations!):
Operator: "Ridge Hall, computer assistance; may I help you?"
Caller: "Yes, well, I'm having trouble with WordPerfect."
Operator: "What sort of trouble??"
Caller: "Well, I was just typing along, and all of a sudden the words went away."
Operator: "Went away?"
Caller: "They disappeared."
Operator: "Hmm. So what does your screen look like now?"
Caller: "Nothing."
Operator: "Nothing??"
Caller: "It's blank; it won't accept anything when I type."
Operator: "Are you still in WordPerfect, or did you get out??"
Caller: "How do I tell?"
Operator: "Can you see the C: prompt on the screen??"
Caller: "What's a sea-prompt?"
Operator: "Never mind, can you move your cursor around the
screen?"
Caller: "There isn't any cursor: I told you, it won't accept
anything I type."
Operator: "Does your monitor have a power indicator??"
Caller: "What's a monitor?"
Operator: "It's the thing with the screen on it that looks like a TV.Does it have a little light that tells you when it's on??"
Caller: "I don't know."
Operator: "Well, then look on the back of the monitor and find where the power cord goes into it. Can you see that??"
Caller: "Yes, I think so."
Operator: "Great. Follow the cord to the plug, and tell me if it's plugged into the wall.
Caller: "Yes, it is."
Operator: "When you were behind the monitor, did you notice that there were two cables plugged into the back of it, not just one??"
Caller: "No."
Operator: "Well, there are. I need you to look back there again and find the other cable."
Caller: "Okay, here it is."
Operator: "Follow it for me, and tell me if it's plugged securely into the back of your computer."
Caller: "I can't reach."
Operator: "Uh huh. Well, can you see if it is??"
Caller: "No."
Operator: "Even if you maybe put your knee on something and lean way over??"
Caller: "Oh, it's not because I don't have the right angle - it's because it's dark."
Operator: "Dark??"
Caller: "Yes - the office light is off, and the only light I have is coming in from the window."
Operator: "Well, turn on the office light then."
Caller: "I can't."
Operator: "No? Why not??"
Caller: "Because there's a power failure."
Operator: "A power... A power failure? Aha, Okay, we've got it licked now. Do you still have the boxes and manuals and packing stuff your computer came in??"
Caller: "Well, yes, I keep them in the closet."
Operator: "Good. Go get them, and unplug your system and pack it up just like it was when you got it. Then take it back to the store you bought it from."
Caller: "Really? Is it that bad?"
Operator: "Yes, I'm afraid it is."
Caller: "Well, all right then, I suppose. What do I tell them??"
Operator: "Tell them you're too stupid to own a computer

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2005, 12:30:36 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42