What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: To Salt water or not??? that is the question  (Read 26147 times)

Calypso

Re: To Salt water or not??? that is the question
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2008, 11:20:14 am »
We have been using a genesis bromine generator now for 5 months and we love it. The water is still crystal clear and feels great on the skin. We only have to add Ph down once in a while as the Ph tends to increase but that could also be due to the air jets. The bromine stays constant at 3 ppm and if we have extra people over we can crank the dial up for a few days. We also do not have to shock that often. Once every 2 weeks is more than enough.

As to the corrosion factor the sodium bromide is only approximately 2000 ppm so this is a very low salt content. We have non galvinized screws in our steps and I put  non galvinized nails away from the tub as a reference. The salt water that has splashed onto the screws is not corroding any faster than the nails that are in the rain. Unless there is conclusive proof I an not worried about the corrosion factor. If you are worried spray down the area in the  non winter months when you exit you tub.

Time will tell but we love the convenience and low maintainance of this system. We bought a demo tub and the water was in it for one year. If you can eliminate 2 water changes per year on average from other systems this will pay for new electrodes etc.
2007 Pacific Calypso

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2008, 11:20:14 am »

Steelerpete

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2008, 11:51:35 am »
The Onzen system uses titanium on the electrodes for longevity and they also switch the polarity on the electrodes to increase the life. The system comes with a 2 yr warranty so we will have to wait and see. I like that I'm not touching Bromine tabs any more and the bathing suits haven't faded a bit in over a month, plus the skin feels better as well, and you don't stink of Bromine when you get out of the tub. This is my personal opinion but my old tub was on the Dihclor method and I was out every day adding chems which was a pain and the water was harder on my skin.

Pete :) :)

spagurl

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2008, 04:23:00 pm »
Try nature2 and ozone as an option before going to salt. It seems to be less corrosive and way cheaper than 2K!!! It is basically a silver mineral cartridge that kills bacteria and makes the water feel great and no smell!! Really easy to use!!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2008, 04:23:00 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42