What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Decided... it stays open in winter this year  (Read 5844 times)

benalexe

Decided... it stays open in winter this year
« on: August 26, 2008, 11:14:42 am »
I just had my spa serviced for the first time. The thermospas guy was totally awesome. He went through the entire tub and answered many questions.  He also fixed my ozonator venturi problem.   Perfect now.I was talking to him about the winter and he said it is much better to leave it on and running.  He said that he sees that people who turn off in the middle of the winter over time have problems with seals drying out and the tub over time will be more prone to leaks. In addition the cost to do a complete shut down is probably about $200 or more.  He said that take that $200 plus opening fees and the possibility of breakage and it does not make any sense.  In addition of course the possibility that I may in fact love it.   Of course he recommended a heated towel warmer etc....

Anyway I know many of you have told me this before and will say "I told you so..."  

Just wanted so say you are all right.

He also said to prevent critters in the compartment throw about a half dozen moth balls in there.  He said someone else recommended a bar of Irish spring soap.

Hot Tub Forum

Decided... it stays open in winter this year
« on: August 26, 2008, 11:14:42 am »

96SC

Re: Decided... it stays open in winter this year
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 01:57:23 pm »
I've heard of Irish Spring to keep deer away....DON'T BELIEVE IT.  Plus our son's dog ate the chunks of soap.   :(
Before I speak, I have something important to say--Groucho Marx

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 05:52:24 pm »
Benny, You have no idea of how right we all were until you soak in the winter..then you will say we were right and you are glad you listened! ;)
Support your dealer so they can support you!

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 07:35:33 pm »
why would you close the tub for the winter???? Hot tub is made for that climate.  I can understand shutting it down come summer, but winter???  In Canada you would be fined  4 cases of beer by the hot tub police for that type of crime.

webboy

• hey bub
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 10:15:18 am »
why would you close the tub for the winter???? Hot tub is made for that climate.  I can understand shutting it down come summer, but winter???  In Canada you would be fined  4 cases of beer by the hot tub police for that type of crime.

;D ;D

Winter is the best, by far. Irish Spring Soap, never heard that before. I use to use that stuff when I was a teenager, that might explain the lack of ladies. :o

Hillbilly Hot Tub

• Be open minded, learn something every day!
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 11:51:45 am »
Keep in mind when you turn the air on to the jets or a blower, it tends to suck in the smell of moth balls which I do not think is the best aromatherapy!
Clearwater Spa Dealer, Great Lakes Spa Dealer, Helo and Almost Heaven Saunas. Authorized service center for several spa lines, CPO. APSP member. Good old fashioned New England service!

Repeat_Offender

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 12:43:57 pm »
So you started a thread to say that you decided to keep your hot tub operating during the winter months?
Can't wait to hear your decision on keeping your AC unit operating next summer.
Bullfrog 562

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 02:17:50 pm »
So you started a thread to say that you decided to keep your hot tub operating during the winter months?
Can't wait to hear your decision on keeping your AC unit operating next summer.

That should get its own thread!!
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 02:44:33 pm »
Ok guys he was considering closing the tub because of the energy costs. He was given the tub so the entire thought process of how expensive it would be to run all winter didn't really occur like it would with someone spa shopping.

Several of us tried to encourage him to leave it running and now he has decided that he will...that's all :-/
Support your dealer so they can support you!

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2008, 12:21:06 pm »
How far is your tub from your door? I would think a towel warmer would be an uneeded extravagance, I know Themo offers one.    We hang our robes on a hook by the tub, when  you get out of 104 water in the winter you don't even feel the cold. I then close up the tub and go inside, no more than 30 seconds out of the water and no problem.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2008, 12:59:48 pm »
Same here. My tub is a few steps from the door.  In the winter, we hop out of the tub and into the house. No robes, no towels. Inside the house we have towels and robes waiting.

I bring out some premeasured dichlor in an old test strip bottle. When It's time to close up, I dump the dichlor, hit the "clean" button and close the cover. I'm inside in 5 seconds.

Ben, you're gonna love winter soaking.  :)

07 Caldera Geneva

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2008, 07:57:12 am »

Plus is the quietest time of the year, there is no gun fire, the illegals hate the cold, and the snow really quiets things down.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Tailhooker

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2008, 09:57:58 am »
Same here. My tub is a few steps from the door.  In the winter, we hop out of the tub and into the house. No robes, no towels. Inside the house we have towels and robes waiting.

I bring out some premeasured dichlor in an old test strip bottle. When It's time to close up, I dump the dichlor, hit the "clean" button and close the cover. I'm inside in 5 seconds.

I heard of someone putting the towels in the dryer and then taking them out in a cooler putting it next to the tub.  When they opened the "cooler" the towels were still toasty warm.

Brothersean

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2008, 09:32:09 am »
MAN.........Bene it's about time you came around!!!

They told you so!!!!!!    :P

Sean

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2008, 09:32:09 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42