What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: It finally happened!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 64070 times)

Summitman

Re: It finally happened!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #195 on: August 23, 2008, 11:15:50 am »
Your correct Swell-tub, many hot tub owners trade in spas after five, six, seven years of use.  We do trade ins all the time and refurbish the used ones that we receive and resell.  That can be a profitable way of doing business.  And your correct if you take care of the customers well after the sale they will give future business later on.  This has been one of the biggest reasons that during some rough times here in the spa industry we continue to increase our overall sale!  Hitting home runs every day!!! ;)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #195 on: August 23, 2008, 11:15:50 am »

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #196 on: August 23, 2008, 11:38:46 am »
We take all brands of spas in on trade.  If it is a Watkins spa, we clean them up and resell them.  If it is some other brand, even if it is a brand new spa, it goes to the dump.  Actually, we quit putting them in the dump and we just leave them behind our warehouse and they're gone the next day.

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Too Tense

« Reply #197 on: August 23, 2008, 12:07:59 pm »
Unfortunately pool and spa people hit singles more often than home runs when we make deals.  I gotta work on that warning track power.

This is saying that you are not making much money

Too Tense

« Reply #198 on: August 23, 2008, 12:09:21 pm »

Ask any other dealer on here if you would like, but we as dealers don’t make money on warranty service calls. Even the dealers that charge gas surcharges are not making money on warranty claims. Now after a warranty is up, and a part goes bad, then sure, we make a little money, but not warranty claims.

Make a little money after warranty runs out.

Summitman

« Reply #199 on: August 23, 2008, 12:25:45 pm »

This is saying that you are not making much money

I guess if we all raked it in like many think, I wonder why their isnt spa dealers at every corner like car lots?  

Cdn HockeyPuck

• '08 Artesian Platinum Cypress Point'
« Reply #200 on: August 24, 2008, 08:17:28 am »

I guess if we all raked it in like many think, I wonder why their isnt spa dealers at every corner like car lots?  

In Canada there wouldn't be any room, those are usually occupied by Tim Horton's coffee shops!  :D

The point I think a lot of consumers are making is we dont' want to get nickel and dimed for warranty items. Sure it's only a couple of ball park hot dogs that someone pointed out but what if you have 5 plus claims in a year? Now you're up to $100?! I don't think so! That consumer will never buy a spa from that dealer again or refer any friends to them. I know I wouldn't.
Dave

"The needs of many great soaks out way the needs of a few... or the one."

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #201 on: August 24, 2008, 04:27:42 pm »
I took my Toyota Avalon in for some warranty work.  I talked to the service writer and they love warranty work and make a good profit on it.

Scott  8-)

If your spa dealer charges a trip fee for warranty work I'll bet they'd be willing to waive it if you saved them a trip and brought your spa in for service.  ;D ;)
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Swell-Tub

• Scott
« Reply #202 on: August 24, 2008, 05:30:11 pm »

If your spa dealer charges a trip fee for warranty work I'll bet they'd be willing to waive it if you saved them a trip and brought your spa in for service.  ;D ;)
They always give me a new Toyota loaner car while they work on my car. I don't think my spa dealer would give me a loaner tub. If I don't take the free loaner car they will drive me across town to work and pick me up with the courtesy van. Oh BTW with no trip charge.

Then there is the example of my 52" flat screen. It had low sound. Technician drove to my house and did a minor adjustment and no charge and no trip fee. The TV only cost me $2300 nine months earlier. Who payed for his salary, gas, truck and tools. They have been in business for a very long time and seem to make a profit.

This discussion between customers and dealers is not doing much good for future possible tub owners. I can only imagine if I was thinking about buying my first tub and I was following this thread. I might think twice before I bought something the price of a small car only to hear that dealers or service providers are hurting so bad they need to charge a trip charge for warranty work. Again I have a great deal of respect for the dealers on this site who provide great customer service and help customers over the phone.

Scott  8-)
2008 Jacuzzi J-470

Summitman

« Reply #203 on: August 24, 2008, 10:08:02 pm »
I understand where you are coming from Scott, and I agree that when possible great customer service goes a very long ways.  I operate my spa dealership the way you describe your tv warranty and toyota dealership.  It goes a long ways for future purchases.  The problem is, is each business is built differently with many different variables.  I can see since I do own a pool and spa business how it could be possible that you would have to charge trip charges.  Does that mean that I disagree with the consumers that trip charges suck and are a bad way to build costumer relations?  No I totally agree with you guys and thats why I do everything I can to not charge consumers or treat them in a manner that you have been treated from your Toyota dealership or you TV man.  

I definetely didnt want the thread to turn out the way it has, but I do disagree with the notion that dealers are making huge profits when they sell spas.  That couldnt be further from the truth.  Anyways Im pretty much beating a dead horse at this point, but I wanted to reiterate that I agree that great customer service is the most important part, and my business thrives off of it.  Trip charges suck, but they are what they are and every business has the right to charge em.  It will affect them one or another.  

Swell-Tub

• Scott
« Reply #204 on: August 24, 2008, 11:01:55 pm »
goarctic that is why you are a successful spa dealer along with many others on this form. Like I said earlier I have owned 7 different businesses during my life. Some were successful and some were not. I know what it is like to worry about payrolls and operating expenses. I also know it is easier to keep a customer than find a new one. I also know word of mouth is the best type of advertisement. With that all said let's put this dead horse to bed with this statement:

We can agree to disagree.

We all know that the customer and the dealer might have different ideas about trip charges. I'm not enjoying paying for my pillows, blankets, and soda pops when I fly either, but it seems to be a sign of the times. I also know that my dealer and I talked about trip charges before I bought my Jacuzzi and we both agreed on free trip charges for the first year. Buying a spa and even having to talk about trip charges is new territory for me and I guess I will adjust or not buy a spa in the future.

One last comment about this thread.
I really, really appreciate it when people on this forum don't make it personal! Let's talk about things without attacking each other.

Thank you for allowing me to stand on my soap box without knocking me off it.

Scott  8-)
2008 Jacuzzi J-470

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #205 on: August 25, 2008, 08:40:17 am »
It's not as complicated as some folks make it out to be. It's not rocket science.

Build a quality tub and back it up with quality dealers and don't nickle and dime them on the warrenty.

Problems do occur but how they are handled is the real proof.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, every dealer looks like a hero when there are no problems.  It's when there are problems that's it's pretty easyto seperate the true quality players. from the rest.

It's just that simple.
07 Caldera Geneva

spaman--

• Hot tubs are not for soaking, they are for selling
« Reply #206 on: August 26, 2008, 02:14:24 pm »
OK So trip fees charges to the customer and doing warranty work.  Lets say average trip fee is $35.00 per. if you do 8 warranty calls a day 8x 35.00=$280.00 a day. I'd say that more then covers fuel, ins, & Tec. for that day.
This is much better then having everyone setting around costing money waiing for the phone too ring.

Please if it wasn't profitable why do it.

No way service techs do 8 calls a day! Especially in an area like ours where it is rural and calls are wide spread. I have crunched the numbers and the TRUE cost of having a truck (must include depreciation of said truck) Insurance on the truck and figure monthly maintenance. Plus we have to add workmans comp insurance, taxes and the wage of the service tech. THE COST IS $69 per hour. Our trip fee is $25. There is not a dealer in this business who actually makes a profit at the end of the year by doing warranty work. The average warranty service call only brings $55 from the manufacturer.

Do the actual math cut your numbers half and get real.

We do the service because we sell the products and must service what we sell. In the end we are all in hopes of pulling a profit in the seling of the "razor blades" I.E chemicals, lifters, covers and extras.

It irritates me that people sit back and think the cost of doing business is so cheap then in ignorance they spout out numbers that are sooo far off. Please before spouting learn the facts. ::)

-SpaMan~

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #206 on: August 26, 2008, 02:14:24 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42