What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Need Help  (Read 2470 times)

billy

Need Help
« on: June 12, 2008, 10:14:40 pm »
I am new at this. I just set up my hot tub. It was a used tub very clean. It has a sundance control with balboa heater. ozonator but not operational.(needs UV bulb). I filled it up and started messing with a test kit on the water. The test kit i have is a liquid drop kit and is a couple of years old.(may not be accurate). Anyhow i added a bromine tablet and some shock treatment also some chlorine at the desired amount for the gallons. the water was very cloudy. i did not test before i added the chemicals. Now i tested the water and my test kit has a cl on one tube aand ph on the other. i added drops and found the cl almost clear and the ph very high about 8.4. So i started doing some research and added some ph decreaser. tested it the next day and still too high. and the cl is almost clear as water. Where do i need to go from here? I screwed up and didn't do my research before adding these chemicals. thanks

Hot Tub Forum

Need Help
« on: June 12, 2008, 10:14:40 pm »

Vanguard

Re: Need Help
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 10:24:43 pm »
Well, if you added bromine, you shouldn't have added chlorine.  They are two different systems.  Your test kit really needs to be replaced as the reagents are too old to get an accurate reading.  If you have too much chlorine, sometimes it will bleach out the reagent.

I would take a water sample to your local dealer and have them test it for you.  They will tell you exactly what you need to do.  They'll have fresh reagents, so you will get accurate readings.  Their system will probably even be computerized.

At the worst, you could dump and start over.  Really won't cost you too much $$ to do that.  Sometimes its cheaper to do that than start dumping a lot of chemicals in.  If you do that, take your tap water to your dealer and have them test that.  That way you'll start out doing the right thing.

Good luck.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

billy

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 10:35:27 pm »
Thanks vanguard!! thats a good idea. I will do that tomorrow. I also have another question. Do i have to have the heat to a certain level in order to get a proper test? sorry, i am very new at this.

Vanguard

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 10:42:59 pm »
No.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

benalexe

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 06:46:50 am »
Try the test strips they work really well.

Also, make sure if you are using chlorine it is dichlor.

Have fun with it. I love my spa!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 06:46:50 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42