What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Which one do I choose?  (Read 13268 times)

BubbaGump

Re: Which one do I choose?
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2008, 10:33:06 am »

LMFAO! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

That's funny stuff!

Show me a manufacturer that doesn't claim that! But hey... if they wrote it on their website, they must be the very bestest!  ;)

I would put hs up in the top 10 spas for sure and I'm not trying to beat them up, but rather seperate the marketing BS from fact. Everyone claims to be the best and this industry seems to overstate almost everything.

As Spatech said, the top brands are a safe bet and I wouldn't put too much emphesis on it as long as you're not buying some no-name brand or one with a poor reputation.

But see what happens when it's in print...it becomes the gospel!  :D

Well, I guess anyone can say anything, that is true.  But they actually have independent studies to back the claims up, that is more than most can say.

http://www.hotspring.com/Spa_Showroom_Hot_Tub/energy_testing.html

I dont own one yet, but I can say that I do my research, if someone makes a claim I will go check it out.  

Again, either way, you shold wet test, find the tub that fits you best, and make sure you feel good about the dealer.  After all, they will be taking care of you for years to come.  

In my experience, the dealer can make all of the difference in your ownership experience.  We will have a customer bring in their vehicle, and we will have them in a loaner and on their way quickly.  We evaluate the vehicle, and the service manager calls the customer with the report.  In or out of warranty we give no charge loaner cars to our customers when they come in for maintenance/repairs.  

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2008, 10:33:06 am »

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2008, 11:14:51 am »
I see testing on the The Energy Smart™ Spa – Sovereign® Spa which is 115v (1.5 KW heater) but none on the other "real" spas.  ;) Was it done on any 220V spas to give a true comparison?

Why is it that the set of data @ 70 degrees (the warmest of the 3 tests) shows less KW hours than the first 2 but the highest operational cost? Am I reading it wrong? Maybe one of the HS guys can help me out here...

To give yourself an accurate number Bubba G, I would determine the cost per KWH in your area and get an estimate on a spa operating with a 4 or 5.5 KW heater (220V).

My point was that if you're basing your buying decision off of what you are reading on a manufacturers website, you'll end up with 15 spas in your backyard!!  ;)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 11:18:12 am by Steve »

Water Boy

« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2008, 11:24:37 am »
I see testing on the The Energy Smart™ Spa – Sovereign® Spa which is 115v (1.5 KW heater) but none on the other "real" spas.  ;) Was it done on any 220V spas to give a true comparison?

Why is it that the set of data @ 70 degrees (the warmest of the 3 tests) shows less KW hours than the first 2 but the highest operational cost? Am I reading it wrong? Maybe one of the HS guys can help me out here...

To give yourself an accurate number Bubba G, I would determine the cost per KWH in your area and get an estimate on a spa operating with a 4 or 5.5 KW heater (220V).

My point was that if you're basing your buying decision off of what you are reading on a manufacturers website, you'll end up with 15 spas in your backyard!!  ;)

I read that too Steve and thought the same thing. I have never read it that closely. This is not a bash fest on the Watkins test. I am just curious to know why the test that was ran at the warmest temp of 70 degrees cost the most to run of any months and it used the least amount of kWh. Is that accurate??
Arctic Spas Dealer of the Year- 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2008, 11:46:16 am »

;)

Why would the cost of 220v spas be statistically different?  220v heaters simply use the more KWs to heat fasterer.

To read the chart you have to look at the cost of KWHs.  So a spa can use less KWHs in one community but cost more to operate due to cost of energy.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Water Boy

« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2008, 12:09:52 pm »

To read the chart you have to look at the cost of KWHs.  So a spa can use less KWHs in one community but cost more to operate due to cost of energy.

Thanks for the reply Dan. It says under the chart that they were all tested the same using the same cost for kWh hours. Here is exactly what it reads:

Kilowatt usage based on a 115v Sovereign spa set at 102°F used six times per week, 15 minutes with the jets on and 15 minutes with the jets off during each use. Monthly and daily costs based on 8.5 per kilowatt hour.

I agreed with what you said, but according to the chart, unless I am missing something, that is how it reads.
Arctic Spas Dealer of the Year- 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2008, 12:14:45 pm »

Why would the cost of 220v spas be statistically different?  220v heaters simply use the more KWs to heat fasterer.

:-? So why not perform this test on a 220V spa considering those outsell 115V dramatically? So are you saying they provided these numbers based on various costs  per KWH? If so, why does it say, "Monthly and daily costs based on 8.5 per kilowatt hour"? That being said, a tub running in a warmer environment and using less KW's, should operate at a lesser cost, no? :-/

Just trying to understand it, that's all... :)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 12:15:20 pm by Steve »

BubbaGump

« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2008, 04:44:47 pm »

15 Spas???  does each come with a hydro-therapy tech???  ;)

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2008, 05:54:52 pm »
 Also if you look at a spa that runs complete 220v components like a Sundance/Jacuzzi and a Hotspring that has 220v main pmps but 110v circ??(not positive) which would use more energy? SD,jac and HS  Heaters are the same at 5.5kw if I am not mistaken.

Still not meant to bash just gaining knowledge.

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2008, 07:15:38 pm »
My bigger concern of some of the circ pumps out there isn't the operational costs, but instead their performance. Some don't even break the surface tension of the water and filter extremely poorly (fish tank pumps I cam 'em).

Not all circ pumps are created equal!  ;)

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2008, 08:24:55 pm »
There are 2 different charts on the Hot Spring site.  I was looking at one with the different rates per KWH.  http://www.hotspring.com/Spa_Showroom_Hot_Tub/energy-efficiency.html

The other one is:

http://www.hotspring.com/Spa_Showroom_Hot_Tub/energy_testing.html

If you compare the charts, you see the explanation on the second one referring to 8.5¢ per KWH must be a typo.

I will bring to the attention of the Mothership. ;)

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2008, 08:44:53 pm »

on the second one referring to 8.5¢ per KWH must be a typo.

I will bring to the attention of the Mothership. ;)

HS makes typo's??  :o  ;)

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2008, 11:48:00 pm »

HS makes typo's??  :o  ;)
:D ;D ;D :D

Saved by Grace

« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2008, 10:11:59 pm »
Energy efficiency???

My J480 has got you all beat...hands down.

First you fill it and then it heats the water up to temp.  The next morning it turns off for a week.

After it turns back on you use heavily 2 to 3 weeks and it then shuts down pump 2 to conserve energy for the last week (or two) of the month.  During this final week it completely turns off at noon every day because it goes through its blow out cycle and pump 2 tries to turn on but pops the breaker.

At this point you're a little disheartened so you don't use it nearly as much which also conserves energy.  And when you do use it you are so mad that your body temperature rises and helps the heater which also saves energy.

I'd say that this first month we've used less energy in our brand new Jacuzzi as anyone reading this post used in their tubs.  Jacuzzi wins hands down. ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Fred

P.S. If I remember...during the 11:00 hour I turn the clock ahead to the 12:00 hour to pass the blow out cycle.  I then set the clock back an hour later in the day and do the whole thing over again the next day.  Nice heh? >:(

Merlin

• Just here to help.
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2008, 10:42:35 pm »

P.S. If I remember...during the 11:00 hour I turn the clock ahead to the 12:00 hour to pass the blow out cycle.  I then set the clock back an hour later in the day and do the whole thing over again the next day.  Nice heh? >:(

Sounds like you need a Hotspring  ;)
Knowledgeable, Friendly, Helpful and Award Winning Hotspring & Caldera Dealer in Southern California

Saved by Grace

« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2008, 10:48:13 pm »

Sounds like you need a Hotspring  ;)

What?  And pass up on this great energy efficiency?  :o :o

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2008, 10:48:13 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42