What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Is there an ozonoe detector?  (Read 5399 times)

benalexe

Is there an ozonoe detector?
« on: May 25, 2008, 06:04:25 am »
I thought i read some place there is  a way to check the ozone levels in the water.  Is there a way to verify if my ozone is working?

Hot Tub Forum

Is there an ozonoe detector?
« on: May 25, 2008, 06:04:25 am »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: Is there an ozonoe detector?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 10:03:54 am »
NO, other than smell (ozone has a sweet smell ... the smell after a lightning strike).

Some people claim that ozone makes water management easier ... being a newbie that would be a hard thing to decide.

benalexe

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 11:01:31 am »
for some reason I  thought there was a test or something.  So it sound to me like if the tub is 4 years old time to replace it.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 11:18:43 am »
I'd say maybe.

Have you decided what you're going to use to sanitize?

I would see how often you use the tub and if you continue to use the tub all the time I'd say you don't have to replace it. If you find that you use it once a week after the initial excitement wears off and you truely think that ozone will make a difference then I'd say yes get one.

Personally I am fence sitting on ozone. I haven't seen the great things that others have found and I don't know how much spa ozonators do. I was going to replace my ozone unit this spring (now) but I'm changing the water this weekend, don't have an ozone unit and may not get one for the next water change.But then again I may have a lousy ozone unit and that's why I haven't seen great results.

benalexe

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 01:00:51 pm »
I found the chip online for $39 so I bought it.

I did notice the pipes coming out of the ozonator are yellow and sticky. Not sure if this is the ozone?  It is a greasly like substance

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2008, 01:01:21 pm »
for some reason I  thought there was a test or something.  So it sound to me like if the tub is 4 years old time to replace it.

Ozonators come in many different varieties and qualities.  Some will last 5-10 years, others much less.  Some CD ozonators need a chip replaced yearly, others never in the life of the unit.  There are UV ozonators that need a bulb replaced periodically and there are solid state UV ozonators that are a higher quality.

It is difficult and expensive to test for ozone and maybe practically impossible in a spa because of the very small amount introduced to the water in relation to the volume of water.

The yellow substance is nitric acid produced from your ozonator.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 01:04:19 pm by tony »

Swell-Tub

• Scott
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2008, 01:18:36 pm »

Ozonators come in many different varieties and qualities.  Some will last 5-10 years, others much less.  Some CD ozonators need a chip replaced yearly, others never in the life of the unit.  There are UV ozonators that need a bulb replaced periodically and there are solid state UV ozonators that are a higher quality.

It is difficult and expensive to test for ozone and maybe practically impossible in a spa because of the very small amount introduced to the water in relation to the volume of water.

The yellow substance is nitric acid produced from your ozonator.
So what is the best ozonator? Which one lasts 10 years and requires no attention?

Scott  :-?
2008 Jacuzzi J-470

Merlin

• Just here to help.
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2008, 04:39:17 pm »
Vinny -

What brand of spa do you have and what type of ozone were you using?
Knowledgeable, Friendly, Helpful and Award Winning Hotspring & Caldera Dealer in Southern California

Shaamus

• America's SPA-MART
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2008, 06:15:21 pm »
There is a spa ozone detector sold.  Just do a Google search for "spa ozone detector".  It's got a picture of a dog on the packaging.  Never used it so I can't attest to its efficacy.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2008, 08:41:20 pm »
Vinny -

What brand of spa do you have and what type of ozone were you using?

I have a 2005 Artesian Grand Cayman with a Del UV ozonator.

I did a lot of research before and after buying the spa and spa ozone may not be what everyone professes it to be. I sometimes think for some people it's a placebo. I have experimented with my tub and with it running 8 hours a day I can go 2 days before cloudiness and with it running 24 hours a day 3 days. When I bought the tub my dealer didn't think ozone was that big of deal which went along with my findings.

I was thinking of putting a JED 103 ozonator on it and seeing if that makes a difference but I don't know if I am going to go that route.

Merlin

• Just here to help.
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2008, 11:46:31 pm »
Well i can tell you that when you bought your Cayman you had 2 options for an ozone system. One was a UV and the other (which also cost more) was a CD ozone. That could explain some of your issues given that it used a fairly "cheap" ozone for their UV models. BTW is your spa running on the 24hr Grunfros circulation system with the Laing Heater or are you using the 2 speed 4hp with Stainless steel  heater?

I ask because you tend to have better results with the 24hrcirc pump rather than their 2 spd system. You really shouldn't get cloudy water after 3 days in any spa provided that your chems are in balance and you didnt bring your dog in the spa :)

« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 11:46:54 pm by Merlin »
Knowledgeable, Friendly, Helpful and Award Winning Hotspring & Caldera Dealer in Southern California

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2008, 09:27:30 am »
There is a spa ozone detector sold.  Just do a Google search for "spa ozone detector".  It's got a picture of a dog on the packaging.  Never used it so I can't attest to its efficacy.

That looks like a brand new product.  I haven't seen it before.  Looks interesting and is inexpensive enough.  It detects ozone in the tubing itself, not the water, but detection should indicate the fuctionality of the ozonator itself.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2008, 09:55:00 am »
Well i can tell you that when you bought your Cayman you had 2 options for an ozone system. One was a UV and the other (which also cost more) was a CD ozone. That could explain some of your issues given that it used a fairly "cheap" ozone for their UV models. BTW is your spa running on the 24hr Grunfros circulation system with the Laing Heater or are you using the 2 speed 4hp with Stainless steel  heater?

I ask because you tend to have better results with the 24hrcirc pump rather than their 2 spd system. You really shouldn't get cloudy water after 3 days in any spa provided that your chems are in balance and you didnt bring your dog in the spa :)

I actually have the 24 hour circ pump with the Laing heater but it's the large pump ... looks like a therapy pump.

I questioned my dealer about the upgraded ozone system and we were both on the same page with ozone ... doesn't do much.

I also contacted Del and they told me that their ozonators produce the same amount of ozone, both the CD and UV.

Like I said, I was thinking about using the JED 103 ozonator to see if it does do anything but we'll see.

As for my water chemistry, it is usually dead on. The only times I can go a week without it getting cloudy is when I shock it before going on vacation and when I get chlorine lock which has happened to me 3 times so far.

Merlin

• Just here to help.
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2008, 01:30:57 pm »
wow.... well i know that everyone has their own experiences with ozone and for most people there are no issues or questions as to how well their ozone is working....
but everyone shall have their opinion. so i hope it all works out for you, whether it be with or without ozone.

Happy Spa-ing  :)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2008, 01:30:57 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42