What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Sundance Parts $$$  (Read 3206 times)

toiler

Sundance Parts $$$
« on: May 23, 2008, 02:45:10 am »
A competing dealer was warning me about the high cost of Sundance parts once the guarantee is over. His tubs (Pacific) use generic parts, so they cost much less.

Is this factual?

Hot Tub Forum

Sundance Parts $$$
« on: May 23, 2008, 02:45:10 am »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: Sundance Parts $$$
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 09:20:23 pm »
This may or may not be true but it is something not to base buying a spa on or not buying a spa on.

If Sundance costs more per part to repair but requires fewer parts than brand x to keep running ... where have you saved money?

I think it was sales slime from the dealer.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 10:42:12 pm »
I think there are many good tub makers who use generic parts from various suppliers. Some of them work fine. However, the availability of those parts in the long run is not guaranteed any more or less than specialty parts. If the vendor decides to change the design, or simply goes out of business - or much more likely, gets bought out by another vendor - the generic parts you may need will disappear.

I have worked recently on a HotSpring tub which was around 25 years old. They had jets made by HydroAir. They were off-the-shelf units, but they are no longer available. The good news was that the factory had a procedure for fixing the problem without replacing the jet - I obtained a special adhesive kit which came complete with photographic directions, stirring stick and even a couple of gloves to keep the stuff off my hands. I did as directed - I've been married for 27 years now so I know how to follow directions - and closed up the cracked jet fitting from the front with the materials provided. The tub is back in service.

Older models with heater problems have elements still available dating back to the eighties, housings are in stock for most models - or upgrades are available which allow replacing the heater element and housing with a complete new heater which resets on power down for even greater safety and ease of use. Items which proved to give less than satisfactory performance have been replace with upgrades or direct replacement parts.

I would say that if you stick with a brand-name tub, parts problems are not going to be an issue now or in the future.

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

toiler

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 01:10:31 am »
Thanks, I kind of thought so. When I asked him about wet testing I was told that no one does that. Funny, I have tested the others.  That's what you get for living in the sticks.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 09:15:59 am »
FWIW, I have a Sundance spa and have not found the parts from my dealer to be outrageously expensive.  You can also find reasonable prices online for factory parts.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 09:15:59 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42