What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Beware of Big Box Stores!!  (Read 7127 times)

Water Boy

Beware of Big Box Stores!!
« on: May 08, 2008, 10:24:20 pm »
This story is why customers should beware when shopping at big box stores and stick with a local reputable dealer.

I was at the store late tonight selling an Arctic Sumitt LSE, and as I was walking the couple out, another couple pulled up to look at spas. They told me they were looking to get a new spa as they were taking theirs back. Here is the crazy story, and why shoppers need to be careful.

They bought their spa in December from a big box store. It was curb side delivered when they got it. Two of the side panels were damaged in freight, but the freight guy told them they got it like that and it wasn’t his problem. Two weeks later the customer spent $300 and rented a fork lift to put in on the deck he built for it. He had an electrician come out and wire it up. A month after getting the spa, it was hooked up. The couple hadn’t even had the chance to sit in it yet as it was still heating. Smoke started to come out of it and it had a burning smell. He called the electrician back and he said it was hooked up right and to call the place where he got the spa.

To make a long story short, the spa was never repaired, and keep in mind this was a brand new spa. The closest service company for them was in St Louis which is over five hours away from us, and no one to this day has come out to repair the brand new spa. The customer has been fighting them over this since early January, and he just found out today he is getting his money back, which was $5700. He ended up buying a Cub Sig, and when we deliver his new spa, we are hauling the old one back to the box store to get him his money back.

Wow, if that doesn’t scare you from buying one from a box store, I don’t know what would. I am sure that some people have had good luck, but wow!! Worked out good for me though. Sold two spas after we were already closed!!! :D
Arctic Spas Dealer of the Year- 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009

Hot Tub Forum

Beware of Big Box Stores!!
« on: May 08, 2008, 10:24:20 pm »

toiler

Re: Beware of Big Box Stores!!
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 11:40:14 pm »
That's a mighty big brush you are painting with, water boy.   Which tub? Which big box store?
There are good and  bad dealers, good and bad manufacturers, and good and bad big box stores.
At least they can get their money back after a few weeks. Do you offer a no questions money back guarantee?

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 12:12:55 am »
That's a mighty big brush you are painting with, water boy.   Which tub? Which big box store?
There are good and  bad dealers, good and bad manufacturers, and good and bad big box stores.
At least they can get their money back after a few weeks. Do you offer a no questions money back guarantee?
I think the point Water Boy was trying to make is that for $5700, one should be treated as a person and not just a number. You know, like actually care about you after the sale.

And fwiw, my Jacuzzi dealer has an unconditional, 30-day money back guarantee.

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 07:13:33 am »

This might be a fun new game!
I'll go first:
      Which spa?             Hmmm, something made by Keys Backyard?
      Which big box store?       Costco?
Am I right???   What do I win??   :)
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 08:11:59 am »
on a side note....I heard Keys is filing for bankruptcy.

Big box stores can save you some coin IF you're willing to do the homework, take the risks and work all the details.  Ie: become your own "dealer". A dealer without factory training, a crew, parts, suppilies or any proffesional back up.   The tubs I've seen in the big bo x are either stripped down verisons of a quality name, or a a lot of cheap flash tacked  onto a non name (Ie Keys).

For some it's worth it.  For others, it's a mess.  

I heard of one dealer who was making $ by runnning a promotion offering to bring back folks spas to Costco for free if they bought a qality spa from them.   (Costco is the big box store that offers lifetime gurarntee...you just need to bring the spa back)
07 Caldera Geneva

Water Boy

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 08:30:14 am »

Sorry if I offended you tolier. There is no reason for me to name the tub or place of purchase as I felt that wasnt the right thning to do, but I figured it was okay to tell my customers story. I can guarantee you it wont be the last time that story comes out of my mouth.

Also you said few weeks, it was more like a few months. This all started in the second week of January, and yesterday it was May 8. Thats a good 4 months of stress, headaches, sleepless nights, and fighting over a brand new $5700 spa that they never got to use. I dont think that picture can be painted big enough!!!!! ::)

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 11:00:57 am »
i wouldn't buy from a box store for those same reasons
i am just not a do-it-yourselfer at all

but if this is any indication of a typical experience I assure
you Costco won't be selling hot tubs for very long.

Costco didnt get to where they are by making customers unhappy.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 11:30:57 am »
i wouldn't buy from a box store for those same reasons
i am just not a do-it-yourselfer at all

[glow]but if this is any indication of a typical experience I assure
you Costco won't be selling hot tubs for very long. [/glow]

Costco didnt get to where they are by making customers unhappy.

What they'll do is just switch to another maker. People think spas from Costco must be good because Costco wouldn't sell lesser quality products but that isn't their formula with spas. The reality Costco cares about getting low priced units with certain specs. If it’s crappy they send them back to the manufacturer and switch to the next one willing to sell them soul for hopeful short term gain. The problem is this can be a big loosing proposition for the manufacturer if the product doesn't hold up and Costco starts sending back units such as we saw with Hydro who went for low priced volume and went bankrupt doing it because the spas were junk.

With most items Costco just sells the standard brand but in a higher volume. If you want 5 lbs of cereal and a gallon of mayo go to Costco, you'll get General Mills and Hellmans/Best Foods just in larger containers. With spas they bring in a lower quality brand to meet a lower price point. If you’re a DIYer who is willing to take be the delivery person and service person (and you better insulate it because it’ll come with bare bones insulation) then maybe you can make lemonade with a Costco spa.  If you want a spa that will last go to someone who sells a quality made spa, right now it isn't Costco.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 11:34:32 am by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Spiderman

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2008, 07:19:05 am »
Wow, if that doesn’t scare you from buying one from a box store, I don’t know what would.

Yeah, but it had a million jets, 8 - 200HP pumps and it only cost $XXXXX !!!!!!   D-E-A-L was written all over it!  ;D  
People suffer one of two pains in life:  the pain of discipline, or the pain of regret

104 degrees

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2008, 08:35:24 am »
This story is why customers should beware when shopping at big box stores and stick with a local reputable dealer.

I was at the store late tonight selling an Arctic Sumitt LSE, and as I was walking the couple out, another couple pulled up to look at spas. They told me they were looking to get a new spa as they were taking theirs back. Here is the crazy story, and why shoppers need to be careful.

They bought their spa in December from a big box store. It was curb side delivered when they got it. Two of the side panels were damaged in freight, but the freight guy told them they got it like that and it wasn’t his problem. Two weeks later the customer spent $300 and rented a fork lift to put in on the deck he built for it. He had an electrician come out and wire it up. A month after getting the spa, it was hooked up. The couple hadn’t even had the chance to sit in it yet as it was still heating. Smoke started to come out of it and it had a burning smell. He called the electrician back and he said it was hooked up right and to call the place where he got the spa.

To make a long story short, the spa was never repaired, and keep in mind this was a brand new spa. The closest service company for them was in St Louis which is over five hours away from us, and no one to this day has come out to repair the brand new spa. The customer has been fighting them over this since early January, and he just found out today he is getting his money back, which was $5700. He ended up buying a Cub Sig, and when we deliver his new spa, we are hauling the old one back to the box store to get him his money back.

Wow, if that doesn’t scare you from buying one from a box store, I don’t know what would. I am sure that some people have had good luck, but wow!! Worked out good for me though. Sold two spas after we were already closed!!! :D

Could they return your spa?

Water Boy

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2008, 10:05:02 am »

Could they return your spa?

Yeah, they can return it if they want, but in the six years I have been selling them, no one has ever returned a spa or even asked to return a spa. And we have sold a lot of spas! ;)

The difference between a good store and a big box store is that the problem would have been fixed right away and they wouldnt have been in the situation that they are in. Saved by Grace is a perfect example of that with his recent delivery of his Jacuzzi, even though his dealer could have treated him a little better. But his problem was still fixed pretty quickly.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2008, 10:05:02 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42