What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: OK someone school me on Cleanwater blue  (Read 42465 times)

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: OK someone school me on Cleanwater blue
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2008, 02:21:48 pm »

Some people like to shock after use and add chlorine weekly, some like to add chlorine after use, then shock weekly or every other week. both work with pretty much the same results.
  Personally I like to add a very small amount of Chlorine after use or every couple of days depending on use, shock every other week or so.  Cant get much easier than that.  Of course use and number of people using the spa varies greatly as to which to go with.

Now if its winter and chitty out, I close the lid and run in the house, might add chlorine in the AM, if I forget no biggie, I have the N2 and an ozonator.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2008, 02:21:48 pm »

Vanguard

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2008, 02:29:20 pm »

"Cancer risk among people using chlorinated water is 93% higher than those whose water does not contain chlorine." - U.S. Council of Environmental Quality

"Studies indicate that suspect chemicals can be inhaled and absorbed through the skin during bathing. Ironically, even the chlorine widely used to disinfect water produces carcinogens." - U.S. News & World Report

Does that sound like it might be "BROKE"?

Chile banned chlorine.  Once.  The cholera outbreak seemed to be doing more damage than long-term use of chlorine.  I guess they decided the remote chance of cancer vs. the almost certain opportunity of getting cholera made them go back to chlorine.

PERSONAL OPINION - My thought is if you're gonna get cancer, you're gonna get cancer.  Seems like almost everything out there can lead to cancer.  Of course if you give a lab rat an ounce of chlorine every day for a year, they'll probably get really sick.  I suppose if I ate a 3" tablet of chlorine for lunch every day, I'd get sick, too.  Those lab reports always blow thing out of proportion.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2008, 02:36:37 pm »

"Cancer risk among people using chlorinated water is 93% higher than those whose water does not contain chlorine." - U.S. Council of Environmental Quality

"Studies indicate that suspect chemicals can be inhaled and absorbed through the skin during bathing. Ironically, even the chlorine widely used to disinfect water produces carcinogens." - U.S. News & World Report

Does that sound like it might be "BROKE"?

Maybe more like "choose your poison"?  I don't know how many cases of cancer have been directly linked to chlorine use in pools and spas but I'm betting it is few.  So there are absolutely no risks with using copper?  I doubt it.

And I think tuo's posts hit it right on the head.

Interesting that the Clearwater guide touts "chlorine/bromine free" then recommends dichlor use for initialization and occasional shocking.  More marketing double-talk...

Yep, for me it ain't broke...
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Spatini

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2008, 03:12:30 pm »
Really didnt mean to stir the pot here, just trying to be a little more informed .
 Spatech, I think your approach is probably the way I will go , but if I remember correctly I think my dealer had the Spafrog and was telling me about it with the use of bromine and Ozone, said it should cut down on the bromine not eliminate it and when used in conjunction with the ozone it should keep it fairly simple he also said most people overdo the whole chemical thing and tend to get to crazy about it. I will check to make sure he does have the Nature 2 if not I will look deeper into the whole SpaFrog thing or maybe just go that way first.
So far this thread has been very informative , any more info  / SpaFrog users

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2008, 03:22:45 pm »
We use to sell this stuff pretty much the same, and they suggest using chlorine periodically as well.

http://www.pristineblue.com/

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2008, 04:13:07 pm »
Contrarian Dan here.

1)  The proven EPA approved alternative to chlorine/bromine, and simple to use are biguanides, BaquaSpa, Soft Soak and Free are brand names.  Simple to use if you follow the directions and have support from a professional who understands they system.  You use no chlorine and only test and adjust once a week.

2)  We have 1000's of customers using Nature2, ozone, MPS with each use, weekly shock with chlorine.  Seems to work for most of them.  
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Trenden

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2008, 05:46:18 pm »
I’ve been using Cleanwater Blue (or RainForest Blue) for about a year now.  The process is really very simple.  You add it when you fill your tub, shock and then shock weekly with MPS or Dichlor.  Every couple weeks you test the copper in your water and add if necessary... that's it.  

One advantage is that copper sulfate does not dissipate into the air like other chemicals so you rarely have to add it to your water after initial startup.  That makes it a very inexpensive option to use.

Another advantage is that it is completely odorless and does not dry skin.  I’ve been very pleased and have a few neighbors/friends that have switched to it also.  So far they’ve all been pleased with it.

bowdrie750

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2012, 11:46:24 am »
I am considering switching to cleanwater blue but I am concerned that it only works with a very low calcium level.  My last hot tub did not last very long because I did not routinely add calcium to my water at startup and my hot tub suffered from severe corrosion due to low calcium levels.  My understanding is calcium must be between 300 to 400 ppm to prevent plumbing corrosion issues.  Cleanwater blue does not give any information about preventing pipe corrosion due to the low calcium levels needed for their system and I am hesitant to use it if it is going to shorten the life of my new hot tub.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2012, 11:46:24 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42