What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Jacuzzi 100% no by-pass filtration???  (Read 49942 times)

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
Re: Jacuzzi 100% no by-pass filtration???
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2008, 08:58:07 pm »
Hey, dealers, speaking of servicing olny spas you sold, what happens if a customer moves far away and takes/brings their spa with them??  Then what??  

Just curious

WWHT

If you have a major brand with dealers everywhere, the dealer in the area you move to picks up the warranty.  If you have a spa from a smaller manufacturer with less dealers you may have to work with the manufacturer to find an independent to help you.

Since most manufacturers compensate for warranty a lot less than service companies charge regular customers (sometimes less than cost), sometimes it is tough.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2008, 08:58:07 pm »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2008, 12:32:39 am »
Hey, dealers, speaking of servicing olny spas you sold, what happens if a customer moves far away and takes/brings their spa with them??  Then what??  

Just curious

WWHT
Part of my agreement with Watkins requires that I service customers who move into my area. I have no problem doing so - why would I? I want to get to know them, allow them to get to know us, and hopefully build a relationship which will last a long time.

I have been in business so long this doesn't really apply, but I was also required to service any customers who were already in my area the day I opened my store. So if I go take over another dealership ( I have done this once already and may do so again if the economic rebound continues) I will have to service the customers in the area. That may end up letting some other dealer 'off the hook' for tubs they sold into my new area...

The point is that we are pressured by the manufacturer to service what we sell. They take care of us so we can take care of you.

It has already been discussed, but another take on the comparison to the automotive warranty world would be this - they really are the same. If you could drive your spa to any dealer in the country, I'm sure they would service it for you with no worry about who sold it to you. But since I may have to drive a couple hours round trip to show up at your door, I'm going to do what I can to keep my service radius just the right size for my operation, so I can offer the kind of service I would want.

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

wewannahottub

• Time for your Sponge Bath!
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2008, 08:13:48 am »
Chas, thanks for explaining.  I kinda figured that was what would happen, but it hadn't been brought up.''As far as the last paragraph in your post, I can't say I blame you or any other dealer wanting to narrow your radius, since that would also backlog your time for your close dealers.

I would assume, as well, though that dealers and independent techs have connections in other towns to refer to if needed. :)

WWHT :)
The grass is greener on the other side because the bulls**t is better...

Vanguard

« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2008, 09:41:28 am »
One thing not said yet is about the price fixing.  This really isn't close to price fixing.  All the dealers involved are still able to sell the spas for whatever price they want.

The dealer 80 miles away could still sell the spa for whatever they want.  They just have to service it.  I'm sure when that dealer found out Watkins would stick to its long established policy, he decided he didn't want to have to worry with service far away.  BUT, that was his choice to pull out.

I like the policy myself.  It keeps people from selling all over the country with no regard for service - and that is one of it's main purposes.  Could you imagine what would happen if a really savvy internet guy started selling a top brand all over the country all based on low prices?  That brand would soon get a bad reputation because of the lack of service available.  

Hot tubs are not like many things out there.  For one, the warranties are longer than most products.  Even most cars only have a three year warranty.  Refrigerators only have a one year warranty.  The longer warranty would really expose local service people to fix something under warranty.  And warranty service is typically not a profit center.  So I would imagine the local dealers would rebel and stop doing service work and the brand would be dragged down for it.   Like Chas said earlier, it's not like you can just take your hot tub in for service.  Someone has real costs just getting to your spa to repair it.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

wewannahottub

• Time for your Sponge Bath!
« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2008, 09:57:20 am »
Chas, ''As far as the last paragraph in your post, I can't say I blame you or any other dealer wanting to narrow your radius, since that would also backlog your time for your close dealers.

WWHT :)

I meant to say close customers.  My bad.
The grass is greener on the other side because the bulls**t is better...

Saved by Grace

« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2008, 12:33:18 pm »
This is all very interesting to me.  I love learning new things about industries.  I find it interesting that dealers seem to be making very little if anything when servicing a Hot Tub.  To me that should be a profit center for both warranty work and non-warranty work.  If this is true than I can see where a dealer would have to capture as much as they can on the front end of the sale and then hope the person comes back for the chemicals and filters.  Which makes me wonder if one can find cheap chemicals and filters online or walmart.  I could see that hurting a dealer also.

You guys are great with the input.  I really am learning a lot and look forward to the day my wife and I can enjoy actually coming home and jumping in......

Have a great day,
In His Peace,
Fred

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2008, 10:28:46 pm »
One thing not said yet is about the price fixing.  This really isn't close to price fixing.  All the dealers involved are still able to sell the spas for whatever price they want.

The dealer 80 miles away could still sell the spa for whatever they want.  They just have to service it.  I'm sure when that dealer found out Watkins would stick to its long established policy, he decided he didn't want to have to worry with service far away.  BUT, that was his choice to pull out.

I like the policy myself.  It keeps people from selling all over the country with no regard for service - and that is one of it's main purposes.  Could you imagine what would happen if a really savvy internet guy started selling a top brand all over the country all based on low prices?  That brand would soon get a bad reputation because of the lack of service available.  

Hot tubs are not like many things out there.  For one, the warranties are longer than most products.  Even most cars only have a three year warranty.  Refrigerators only have a one year warranty.  The longer warranty would really expose local service people to fix something under warranty.  And warranty service is typically not a profit center.  So I would imagine the local dealers would rebel and stop doing service work and the brand would be dragged down for it.   Like Chas said earlier, it's not like you can just take your hot tub in for service.  Someone has real costs just getting to your spa to repair it.

Great post with some real good information. The longer warranty's the lower rate that a dealer is paid to service the spa all contribute to why selling dealers is in most cases are obligated to service the spa. If a person moves than the local dealer takes over service and I think most feel this is fair since it works both ways. Also not all stores are a like and 80 miles away can be far less expensive regarding overheard allowing one dealer to sell for less but actually make the same or in some case more profit. Hot tubs are a small niche market and as such it is not wise to lump than in with other large ticket items. They are a specialty item.

Dipstick

« Reply #52 on: April 01, 2008, 02:01:39 pm »
Any spa that has a filter can make the claim 100% filtration, eventually all the water will go through the filter.

Seriously, it does not matter as long as the spa has a filter you can keep the spa clean and sanitized. All the filtration claims are simply marketing tools.

The filtering issue should not play into a purchasing decision.

I can out two 400 gallon spas side by side one with true 100% filtration and one with only a 25 square foot by pass filter and they both will clean water.

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #53 on: April 01, 2008, 02:52:26 pm »
Any spa that has a filter can make the claim 100% filtration, eventually all the water will go through the filter.

Seriously, it does not matter as long as the spa has a filter you can keep the spa clean and sanitized. All the filtration claims are simply marketing tools.

The filtering issue should not play into a purchasing decision.

I can out two 400 gallon spas side by side one with true 100% filtration and one with only a 25 square foot by pass filter and they both will clean water.

Hotspring 100% filtration means that anytime a pump is turned on, the water going to that pump first goes through a filter, 100% of the time with no bypass.

Sundance/Jacuzzi 100% filtration means that 100% of the water being pulled into the filtration system is going directly through the filter, with no bypass.  

You cannot guarantee that 100% off the water is going through a filter if there is a bypass, although the user is more important than the filtration system.   If a spa is well taken care of, the size of the filter really doesn't matter, like you say.

Swell-Tub

• Scott
« Reply #54 on: April 01, 2008, 05:28:28 pm »
If a spa is well taken care of, the size of the filter really doesn't matter, like you say.

So you are telling us that size dosen't matter.

Scott  ;D
2008 Jacuzzi J-470

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2008, 06:49:25 pm »

Sundance/Jacuzzi 100% filtration means that 100% of the water being pulled into the filtration system is going directly through the filter, with no bypass.  

Sure, 100% of the water being pulled into the filtration system is going directly through the filter, with no bypass.   However, Sundance/Jacuzzi and every nonHotSpring do have bypasses.  Therefore, by definition, with bypasses,  all the water being pulled into the filtration system is going to the filter; however,  not all the water is going into the filtration system.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #56 on: April 01, 2008, 06:56:35 pm »
 At some point it goes through the filter, just not at that particular moment.  Thing is it is a neat system, but why haven't more manufacturers done it yet? I am sure they could, if they wanted to.  

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #57 on: April 01, 2008, 07:10:18 pm »
At some point it goes through the filter, just not at that particular moment.    

Agreed! ;)

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #58 on: April 02, 2008, 02:08:24 am »
Why don't other manufacturers besides HS use no bypass filtration? I'm assuming HS has a patent filed on this method?
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2008, 07:49:35 am »
Why don't other manufacturers besides HS use no bypass filtration? I'm assuming HS has a patent filed on this method?

Because other companies don't want to have their customers deal with multiple filters.  The large pumps need 2 suctions, so that means 2 filters.  2 large pumps + a circulation pump = 5 filters.   You also need to have room to house those 5 filters.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2008, 07:49:35 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42