What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Catilina Spas Buyer Beware !!!!  (Read 27835 times)

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
Re: Catilina Spas Buyer Beware !!!!
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2007, 12:26:43 pm »
WOW!  (Intentionally in Caps)

Stick a fork in me.  
I'm done here.
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2007, 12:26:43 pm »

clover

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2007, 01:04:13 pm »
Well, it sounds like an unfortunate experience, but then you packed it up and took it to Florida with you.  Just on a hunch, what kind of sanitizer were you using??

You have a pool also, do you muriatic acid or liquid chlorine for the pool?

Please post your pictures here, let's take a look.
Trying to be the unbaised voice of reason.

Cyn

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2007, 01:05:16 pm »
I am hoping you just wanted to give future spa owners a heads up about the problems you experienced.  You can post your pictures right on the forum, if you would like.  

Not sure why you thought there was a great warranty, when it sounds from another forum member, who read the warranty after reading your post, commented it was pretty bad.  Consumers need to be their own best advocate and not just take someone's word for it.  

I have to agree that any expenses beyond the purchase of the actual tub, should not be counted in your bad luck with the brand.  You implied that you had owned other tubs and yet you needed to prepare for this one as if you never had owned a tub, even in your original home...

I also feel that FL's very hot humid conditions might have been the reason for your rusting problems and that it was actually made worse by draining and then covering (that is virtually sealing) the tub.  Even checking on it periodically would introduce moisture into the environment.  

But thanks for the heads up...

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2007, 04:20:48 pm »
I don't get it...

The spa was never right from day one on a few issues but you chose to incur the costs to move this "less than perfect" spa that you weren't happy with to your new home?

Catalina is a pure glitz and glitter spa with a sub par warranty and generally VERY (sorry for the caps but it was to stress a point  ;) ) overpriced!

Sell it, cut your losses and buy a reputable brand.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 04:21:28 pm by Steve »

AstaLaVista

• 07 Hot Springs Vista
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2007, 08:42:03 pm »
I have to say ...even in the scope of things... to use a radio issue as your first argument that your spa is crap is bogus.  if you buy a new car and the radio doesn't work... its replaced.. it doesn't make the car crap.  

Now, as for the issue with you Stainless Steel rings... if it were me I would have to say..oops..I take partial blame.  I feel that anytime you empty a unit that is made to hold water you are asking for problems.  I am surprised your seals didn't dry out on you!  This sounds partially like a user issue.

I am also in agreement to the fact that you can NOT count your costs for site improvement.  If you were that unhappy with the tub you should have sold it with your last home and leave it as someone elses headache instead of incuring more cost.

Finally... I like others am a little surprised that you once again decided to use all caps after EVERYONE asked you to do otherwise! :o

Cola

• Time for bed kids
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2007, 08:56:35 pm »
What kind of a complete total jerk types in caps after we all with kind words ask him (her) not to.  Go get a life.
Steve

mark 2550

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2007, 12:25:21 am »
This was 2 years ago and your just here now to tell us about it and you signed up for this forum just for that? Usually that makes me suspicious

THE PROBLEMS STARTED THE DAY AFTER WE BOUGHT IT,STARTING WITH THE RADIO AND CONTROLS.

THE JETS RUSTED IN THE LAST 30 DAYS, WE WERE GOING TO FILL IT TO USE IT, SINCE THE TEMPS HERE IN FLORIDA FINALLY DROPPED WHERE WE COULD ENJOY THE SPA INSTEAD OF OUR POOL.

BOTH MY POOL SERVICE AND I WOULD CHECK THE INSIDE OF THE SPA AFTER ANY STRONG RAIN TO MAKE SURE IT WAS CLEAN AND DRY AND IF THERE WAS AND CONDENSATION ,IT WOULD BE WIPED DOWN.

I AM SORRY FOR MAKING THE POST HARD TO READ, I HAVE SINCE BROKE IT UP INTO PARAGRAPHS AS SUGGESTED.

PLEASE CONTACT ME FOR PICTURES, THEY ARE WORTH 1000 WORDS !!!  :-/

Why would you start complaining after 2 yrs and 2 moves you should've left it with the old house.

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2007, 01:13:30 am »
Mr. VICSWFL, sorry to hear about the Catalina experience. I also looked at Catalina when I was a newbie. They are manufactured not too far from where I live. Once I did a little research, I decided on another brand. I actually have a friend who loves his Catalina. The warranty is what turned me off.

What other manufacturer's did you purchase in the past? Were you not happy with your other spas? Perhaps you could unload your spa and start over with a reputable dealer. Good luck......

« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 01:15:07 am by Gomboman »
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

Spiderman

« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2007, 08:02:34 am »
Stay away from this...........

Never buy a hot tub with the same name as a salad dressing, it'll leave a bad taste in your mouth  ;D
People suffer one of two pains in life:  the pain of discipline, or the pain of regret

clover

« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2007, 01:11:08 pm »

My husband and I thought it was our responsibility to make any potential buyer know what happened to us.
I would agree.  But, you blame the product for this mysterious development of corrosion on stainless steel.

Obviously, you are personally stressed by this experience and you want to scream from the highest mountain, but let’s try to understand what happened.  While Catalina may not want to be responsible for your problem, let’s find out what your problem really is.  As you point out, you have a big investment here, and others here, who read this forum, can benefit from your experience, albeit bad.

I have a strong inclination this is more about water chemistry than product deficiency.

“My husband, once again tried to explain that there was no water in the spa, and how did it even rust the screws under the sealed plastic pieces around the water fall and other areas where there would have not been any water at all.”
Exactly, your spa was empty.  But, before you emptied it, your spa was full of water and you loved it and enjoyed it.  It was then your screws under the sealed plastic pieces around the water fall and filter plate were “poisoned” with some sort of caustic chemical that is a no-no in Hot tubs.  Anything that water touches will be affected by water chemistry.  If there is anything that will void a warranty, it is water chemistry.  This is not a "cop out" because of chrome plated plastic, or low grade SS, which is not the case, but how a manufacturer can not control or prevent anyone from using bad stuff in their Hot Tub.
“My husband spent over 20 hours using "CLR" to try and clean the chrome parts and the spa without much luck.”
First, I do not believe that he spent that much time without much luck that just wouldn’t be smart.  Secondly, I would point out that CLR is a very strong chemical that will damage even the best Cadillac of Hot Tubs, why would you use that chemical?  Something made your water very caustic, probably acid or some form of it.  My guess would be Pool Chemicals which are a NO-NO in Hot tubs.  This not only affected the jets with rust staining the acrylic, but it also affected your SS screws around the filter plate.  The face of the jets and the SS screws show a corrosive action.  This is not about SS jets or even SS screws.  This is about water chemistry and really should not be deemed to be Catalina’s fault, or a warrantable condition.
“After using it the first winter we were back; we drained the spa completely, cleaned it, blew out all of the water for the summer as we have a pool…
After moving from Carolina, the spa was set up and put into service for a period of time and then drained.  Did you use pool chemicals in the Hot Tub?
about a month ago my husband was checking it and noticed that all of the supposedly stainless steel jets had rusted and deteriorated on both the inside and out and the rust had run down the body of the spa and stained it.

What is happening to the spa, the jets and the screws is IN THE WATER.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2007, 01:31:22 pm »
Sorry about your troubles with this spa but I never saw metal bleed like that.

But by what clover is saying I would think that the water chemistry was way off for a long period of time. I have a pool that I have SS parts (screws mostly) and don't have any problems at all. I even close up the pool for 8 months for the winter. I also have SS jets in the tub and again no problems.

On another forum there is a woman with a Catilina and she has never reported these types of problems.

Richs100

« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2007, 02:02:57 pm »
Dang, Clover!  That looks like the hot tub from "The Shining".  
Is that your tub or VICSWFL's?

Richs100

« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2007, 02:04:31 pm »
Stay away from this...........

Never buy a hot tub with the same name as a salad dressing, it'll leave a bad taste in your mouth  ;D

Actually, in the third picture, it looks like Thousand Island.

clover

« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2007, 02:06:21 pm »
Dang, Clover!  That looks like the hot tub from "The Shining".  
Is that your tub or VICSWFL's?
VICWFL's Catalina.

VICSWFL

« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2007, 02:17:20 pm »
Well, it sounds like an unfortunate experience, but then you packed it up and took it to Florida with you.  Just on a hunch, what kind of sanitizer were you using??

You have a pool also, do you muriatic acid or liquid chlorine for the pool?

Please post your pictures here, let's take a look.

Spa Time for the spa which is what the Dealer sold us and what we used when it had water in it, Warm soapy water to wipe it down when it was drained & liquid chlorine for the pool which was never used in the spa at any time, this is my 4th spa, I know better.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2007, 02:17:20 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42