What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: How often do you need to 'top off' your spa water?  (Read 25509 times)

squale

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
How often do you need to 'top off' your spa water?
« on: October 05, 2007, 01:35:29 pm »
I have a Sundance Altamar 385 gallons it holds and the spa is indoors inside my garage.  When I put the cover up (via the cover lifter), quite a bit of spa water drips down onto the floor below where the cover is standing vertical.  This makes the concrete floor soaked and water rests up against the wooden frame of the hottub on the floor.  I put some towels down here to try to absorb some of the water that comes off the cover.  Then with people getting in and out of the spa, as well as just water in the spa evaporating on it's own, I have noticed that in about 1 week time, I lost about 1/4" of water in my spa.  Is this normal?  How often do you add more tap water to your spa to keep the level up to normal?

Thanks

Hot Tub Forum

How often do you need to 'top off' your spa water?
« on: October 05, 2007, 01:35:29 pm »

Venissa

• Proud owner of a Coleman model 461
Re: How often do you need to 'top off' your spa wa
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 02:11:28 pm »
I have a Sundance Altamar 385 gallons it holds and the spa is indoors inside my garage.  When I put the cover up (via the cover lifter), quite a bit of spa water drips down onto the floor below where the cover is standing vertical.  This makes the concrete floor soaked and water rests up against the wooden frame of the hottub on the floor.  I put some towels down here to try to absorb some of the water that comes off the cover.  Then with people getting in and out of the spa, as well as just water in the spa evaporating on it's own, I have noticed that in about 1 week time, I lost about 1/4" of water in my spa.  Is this normal?  How often do you add more tap water to your spa to keep the level up to normal?

Thanks

I dont know about everyone else but I rarely have to top my water off.  At the most it would be maybe once a month.  If I leave the cover off for an extended period of time I lose more water but keeping the cover on causes no problems.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 02:17:27 pm by Venissa »
Don't throw away the old bucket until you know whether the new one holds water.

squale

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 03:01:31 pm »
well I have had my cover off for longer than usual lately because of the chemicals such as PH Decreaser and Dichlor that I have been adding to my tub.  I keep the cover off when doing this.

also, does having the tub indoors mean you will lose more water to evaporation since the temperature inside my garage is WARMER than outside?

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2007, 05:03:10 pm »
Evaporation has less to do with temperature, and more to do with the humidity level of the air.  
You don't need to leave the cover off when you add Ph adjusters if you dont' want to.  Good idea when adding chlorine, but other than that, nah.

You're worried about loosing 1/4" of water per week?  If your using the spa regularly, I'd say it's not  a concern.

You seem to be getting a little obsessive on some of this stuff.  Relax and enjoy your spa more, and worry less.  

« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 05:05:12 pm by Brewman »
Brewman

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2007, 05:11:13 pm »
You're always going to have moisture on the bottom of the cover that drips onto the floor.

Most of the water loss is based on usage as it's the water WE take with us when exiting the spa that accounts for 90% of it.

1/4" once a week sounds normal to me.

Be concerned when you're NOT using the spa at all and loosing the same amount! ;)

Steve

hottbpete

• Caldera Niagara
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2007, 06:24:33 pm »
I have to top mine every other week....at least 2 inches.....

Teenagers!!!!!!

It's a great problem to have.  The tub is getting a lot of use.  I will put up with a little water loss to have them all at my house!

:)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 06:24:53 pm by hottbpete »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2007, 11:17:39 am »
well I have had my cover off for longer than usual lately because of the chemicals such as PH Decreaser and Dichlor that I have been adding to my tub.  I keep the cover off when doing this.

also, does having the tub indoors mean you will lose more water to evaporation since the temperature inside my garage is WARMER than outside?

Temperature is only part of the issue. Relative humidity is another factor.  when it is 10F here and almost no humidity in the air, I add water about every week in the winter.  
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2007, 11:17:39 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42